My Bestest Iowa Friend
Yesterday my mom called to tell me my friend Felicia from Iowa had called her house but did not leave a message. Ooops! I forgot to let Felicia that we only have our cell phones now. I called her right away and caught her before she left for work. It was great to catch up with her. We have vowed to write and call one another more often. When we were kids we lived pretty close to one another. Our parents were friends and we all used to get together for dinner and went to a cabin in Minnesota quite a few times together. I have always loved Felicia's parents Jim and Diane. I have fond memories of watching movies on HBO while Diane was painting her pretty toe nails and Jim would be telling us funny stories. Diane cut my hair as a kid. Once our mom's decided to give us matching Little Orphan Annie perms. Oh, my. I wish I had some pictures of us as kids to show here.
Felicia and I were best friends since birth! We went to catholic school together for a while in elementary school but then I switched to public in the third grade. She went straight through the catholic school until high school where we then went to Washington High together. Even when we were in different schools we made a point of seeing one another often. I would pack a bag and walk the mile or so to her house. Sometimes we would meet at St. Matthews for mass and then walk to one of our houses to play. We were always causing trouble in church. Old ladies made a point of reminding us to be quiet. Those were my best times in church! My junior year we moved to Indiana. We have done pretty good at keeping in touch all these years later. I would love to go visit her back in Iowa sometime.
Felicia is married to a nice guy, Greg. He is from Canada. On their way to Canada once they stopped in Fort Wayne to see us. Hopefully they can do that again some day. We had much more room back then in a larger house. Now, our house is so tiny that it is hard to have guests stay here. But, if they are up for it our cozy little house will make room. Having one bathroom will add those special challenges that memories are made of. Right?



No comments:
Post a Comment