"Dazlious"
The day began normal enough. Maizie slept in which was awesome. We were getting ready to go to my nephews house to babysit him for a few hours when Maizie had a seizure. While she was ready to lay down and sleep afterwards she said real sweet like, "Mama, please just go to Christians and take him a happy meal without me." I told her I felt bad going without her but she was adamant. What a sweetheart.
So, while Joe cared for Maizie I took off for Christian's. Once there I had lots of fun playing Webkinz with him. He was so cute explaining how to play his favorite games.
When I got home Maizie was ready to go to Marie's to play with Christian. We jumped in the car and drove back across town to Marie's house again. I was not thrilled with driving back but Maizie had very little social activity this week and I really wanted her to get to play with Christian.
If anything today reminded me how badly we want some answers to these seizures. One cute thing Maizie said today as she was feeling quite sick during her episode was this, "Mom....I have to tell you the truth. I am sick because last night I was moving back and forth in the tub fast. I saw the bubbles in the tub. I filled the cup with water and I just had to drink it. I am sorry. I just had to do it. That is the truth as to why I am sick." I explained that I doubted she was sick from the bubbles. Of course I had to remind her again that drinking bubble water is against the rules.
Tonight Joe and I watched Snow Cake. This movie was amazing. I want to encourage everyone to watch it with an open mind. Sigourney Weaver plays an Autistic woman named Linda who lives with her neurotypical daughter in WaWa Canada. Joe and I have been to WaWa and eaten at the Chinese restaurant shown briefly in the movie. It was fun for us to remember that little town through a great film.
A tragedy befalls Linda's daughter and brings a man into the life of Linda. I was so moved by this movie. I cried and laughed and just really enjoyed it. There are some very touching moments. For much of it I could not help but see some of Maizie in this character. The character Linda has a real gift for language and sees such joy in life. I don't want to tell too much because I don't want to give it away. I could be nit picky about a few things but I am not going to be because over all the movie was just down right "dazlious".



16 comments:
I hope Maizie is feeling ok.
I need to see Snowcake still----we have it in our Netflix queue. Thanks for not giving away the ending!
Oooh, the movie looks fabulous... and I love the word 'dazlious'!!!
Poor thing that she thinks things that she does causes the seizures.
Glad she was able to get out and play after all.
Have driven past Wawa many times..don't you love the goose?
Have yet to see Snow Cake but it is on my list.
And again with the water...over at Crystal's and here. Hmmm...
Hope you have a good weekend together.
My Snow Cake has just today shipped out from Amazon. :o) Sorry about Maizie's seizures. hope they can be controlled. She is a sweetheart.
Right dazlios it wuz and all.
I don't usually hyperventilate over autie portrayals in movies but this one was cool, I guess most people missed the reflection of the electricity pylon in the phone booth but there you go, when I saw it first I made sure nobody missed that :)
Eyectricity pylon I announced (being somewhat unable to pronounce the word properly to my chagrin)
I showed the movie to the neurodiversity (is John Best holding up a crucifix as I write this) group I facilitate and they liked the movie too.
Anyway the occasion of my watching this movie was during a study weekend at my Alma Mater in Brum, wherein we were treated to an account of how Sigourney Weaver came to spend time with Ros Blackburn to study the part.
aw, that maizie, thinking she had that seizure because of her bubbles. i hope you get answers soon. i really do.
i did do some nitpicking with Snow Cake but overall, i was delighted and very moved by quite a lot of it.
Kyra-Which blog is yours? I enjoy your comments and want to make sure I am matching you up to your blog. Thanks!
Everyone! Thanks so much for the comments. I wish I had time to respond to all of them. Maizie has been having more seizures and we are staying busy with appointments. I am lucky to get my posts done! I sure do love reading your blogs and comments.
I hope you get some answers soon to Maizie's seizures.
I definitely need to see this movie. I'm glad they portrayed a woman with autism. Having a daughter on the spectrum I have heard more than once, "Oh, I thought only boys could have autism."
Kim would probably enjoy this movie (and cry, I'm sure), but my guy meter is telling me this might be a bit of a chick flick...and I just put the kids down while Kim is out with friends seeing 28 dresses (this is a tit-for-tat since I'm going to be watching alot of football on Sunday)....
Thanks for the movie recommendation. I'm sorry to hear about Maizie's seizure. I hope you do get some answers.
her little words about the bubble soap broke my heart
I am sorry about Maizie's seizure, that has to be so frustrating!! I am glad she was feeling better and got to go play. Does she like Webkins?
I can't wait to see that movie!! It is on top of our Netflix que!
XOXO
Hi Marla --
I hope you and Maizie find answers about the cause of her seizures, and what to do about them.
"Snowcake" was the first film we screened in the current season (our 4th!) of the Asperger Association of New England's Film Series. The audience discussion afterwards was fascinating, and the film itself was indeed dazlious :-).
More about the AANE's Film Series can be found online here, and in an anthology of essays adapted from the same conference, here.
Take care through all the appointments... LOL to Maizie xx
I hope they can nail down those seizures from all of this testing. Poor baby.
Post a Comment