Maizie's MRI
Today was the big ol' MRI. We woke up extra early to be sure that Maizie would not forget and get a glass of water or eat her breakfast. When I went into her room she was putting together a puzzle on her bed. Her only light, a flashlight. The puzzle went a lot smoother once we turned on the bedroom light. I have no idea how long she was up before us but I imagine it had been quite a while.
At the hospital we checked into peds and the nurse insisted on using Emla cream before giving Maizie the I.V. It was a sweet gesture but for Maizie this numbing cream is nothing short of torture. Maizie has impeccable manners when it comes to dealing with the medical professionals so she smiled big and tried to stay positive while waiting for the nurse to remove the cream. Whenever the nurse left the room Maizie would say, "When is she going to take this stuff off? It itches...under there...under my skin...I can't take it." She can take the minor pain of an I.V. or blood draw without any difficulty. But, put some mushy white stuff on her arm with tape and she really has a tough time. Next time we agreed we would refuse the white stuff.
There were very few nurses on the floor so our very needed nurse had to leave the room many times to answer the phone and help other patients. Some poor kiddo was screaming while getting a catheter. Maizie said, "I think that child is not feeling well." Most definitely not. Catheters are no fun at all.
Luckily, I was prepared with a wide assortment of "Maizie entertainment". She had been practicing cutting out hearts and brought several with her along with some stickers. I pulled out the markers and she began making a card for the nurse, the anesthesiologist and the techs at the MRI. Too sweet. She also brought a little paper umbrella, the kind you put in drinks... for the nurse. She had seen one at a Japanese restaurant and asked if we could buy some. We found them with the toothpicks at the grocery store. For $1.99 Maizie has had hours of entertainment with about twenty little paper umbrellas. Everywhere we go she carries a bag of these umbrellas and passes them out as little gifts. Everyone loves them.
Finally, it was time for the I.V. and Maizie was her usual brave self. She watched the whole procedure. We were all a bit confused when the blood never went very far into the tube. The nurse kept washing it out or whatever they call it and seemed to feel confident it was in there good. Joe and I had our doubts. The nurse had to ask us if we had ever tried the ketogenic diet with Maizie. Argh. Uhhhh...what's that? I have only read every book known to man about seizures. Of course I know about it! We have actually been told not to bother using this diet with Maizie. By three different doctors. Including the Cleveland Clinic. That is not to say they don't recommend this diet to others. Due to Maizie's autism her food issues are a major block to using this diet and most think it would have little to no effect. Anyway, it just frustrates me when we always get "advice" like that. I know people mean well but after nine years it does get old.
Once down to the MRI Maizie handed out her cards. Everyone seemed quite pleased with their hearts. The doctor put in the white creamy medicine to send Maizie off to la la land and amazingly enough Maizie stayed wide awake. Four people began poking around on her arm feeling for the vein and for hardness. Apparently, the first dose of medicine was put into an abyss within her arm. 
Quickly, the anesthesiologist began an I.V. in her other arm and began administering the medicine again. I have never seen an I.V. put in so fast in my life. It amazes me we arrived over an hour early to have the nurse do the I.V. when the doctor was such a pro at it.
Maizie slowly fell asleep. Any parents out there familiar with MRI's know the sleeping potion puts them to sleep so fast it is quite eerie to witness. It also moves through their system very quickly and they don't stay asleep very long at all. Initially however, the child goes from looking around nervously to a limp doll within seconds. The nurses always warn the parents since most are reduced to tears at the sight of their child going immediately out. I had witnessed this with little Christian last summer when he needed an MRI. He fell asleep so quickly in my arms it scared me. I was shocked. In our case, Maizie never falls asleep easily. She fights it. A lot. They had to pull her out of the MRI four times to readminister the sleeping potion.
I felt guilty having her put to sleep since the nurse kept saying to Maizie, "You are so good! So cooperative! So brave! A model patient!" And then she would say to me, "Are you sure you need to put her to sleep? She is so good." I had to remind myself that I know Maizie and sitting still for 30-45 minutes with a large plastic "cage" like thing wrapped around her head would not go well. Sitting in a tiny tube would really set her off too. When I had a scan before my surgery I remember almost freaking out and I am an adult. So, I figured putting her out was the best option. I got over the guilt when they began strapping her body down to the table. She would have never tolerated that awake.
While we were sitting in the waiting room during the MRI a woman went up to the scheduler and said she had an order for an MRI. She handed over the script and the secretary just stared at it. The lady went on to say she needed her scan done today because she did not want to drive the hour back to her home. She had just came from the doctor's office and wanted to get her scan done today. I could not help but over hear and wanted to say, "Are you kidding me? What do you think this is...Great Clips?" The scheduler explained to her that they had to call her insurance company and go through the approval process which would take about twenty four hours. The woman's response was, "Well, can you direct me to a place where they can manage to make a phone call today?" I could see the schedulers skin crawling. I know mine was. This was my waiting room entertainment.
The MRI went well and I am pretty certain it will come back fine. It is the upcoming EEG that I am really hoping and praying we get some answers from. We need to know if she is having any more seizures than the ones we are seeing. Is she having migraines and what medication would be of the most help? Not to mention one to two seizures per week is too many.
Her heart echo came back great. There was one abnormality but it would be very rare for her to have any problems with it. The cardiologist said that she will need to be looked at again in her late teens. So, for now we are quite pleased with those results. Thank you Ed and Marsha!
Two tests down and the EEG to go! Wahoo! Almost done. The EEG will be three days or longer. I am starting to get things together to keep us all busy during those days. We have begun the many "talks" to prepare for the EEG. I can tell she is nervous.



20 comments:
Glad to hear it's over and went well. Still, a stressful day I'm sure.
SB LOVES those paper umbrellas. I agree ... that's the kind of thing that's always worth the money because it keeps him busy for hours. He loves making stuff out of those. I used to bring rolls of tape to the ped's office to help lessen the trauma of going there (thankfully he's much better with that these days).
I was in the OR when SB had his anaesthesia administered last spring prior to adenoiods/tubes so I know what you mean about the sudden limpness .... VERY hard to watch ....
I hope the EEG goes well.
Charlie has had 2 MRIs and a short EEG (hardest part---getting those electrodes on)----will be thinking about you during the EEG ahead of you! I would be beyond stressed preparing----have yet to show Charlie the umbrellas but I think he would be interested. So glad to hear this went well and that you and got some good information.
Even though Maizie has been really pain tolerant towards all the IV pokes and stuff. It must have hurt you badly having to witness that every now and then.
My son got administered with GA anaesthesia in front of me and yes! the effects came in a flash!
You both take care... {Hugs}
What a brave girl. This can't be fun, but I am sure it will be good to have it done. Keep on slugging.
-Thanks for the comment. I will finish up the post I started a few days ago.
So glad the first 2 tests went well... you must be so relieved!!!
And here's hoping you get some answers from the EEG...
Love and hugs to you all xx
i can only imagine how stressful this must have been for you! maizie is such an amazing girl! i love that she passed out those little umbrellas. fluffy loves them, too.
SO glad to hear the results were good! we'll be sending our best thoughts for the EEG.
Just thinking about an MRI makes ME anxious. What a great job she did. And how wonderful that you know exactly what she needs.
Sending love for the EEG --
she certainly is one brave little lady x
That was quite a smile on her face! She is certainly a brave little girl. I probably would have passed out at the mere mention of the word MRI.
Maizie is one tough cookie... And so is her mom.
She's very brave. When our littlest had his MRI (found a Chiari I malformation), they screwed up and didn't do the brain (only the spine), even though there were orders for the brain. He did NOT respond well to the sedation, so when we re-did it for the brain, he was in there completely unsedated. Amazingly, he just laid there, very still, in the "zone" while they did their thing. It took about 20 minutes. He was 15 months old.
I've had EXACTLY the same experience, where a nurse totally bolloxed the IV, and the anesthesiologist just slipped that needle in in a blink of an eye.
These tests are much scarier for me as a parent than they are for me as a patient when I get them. I just felt so much for my little guy, although he seemed peaceful about it all. You've got a brave gal there.
What a brave little sweetheart she is. And you did pretty well yourself. I know how hard it is, we had to take Amy for 3 EEG's and they came out negative which was great but then we were told it would be best if she was asleep next time! There hasn't been a next time yet. She was really good when she had the wires fixed to her hair and just sat watching telly.
Well done to you for getting through this.
Crystal xx
Wow! You are both so brave. I love that she came wih gifts for everyone. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Good luck with the upcoming tests.
Wow, this brought back a lot of memories Marla. Jacqui's had six of them. I know what you mean about the advice too - it does drive you a little nuts after you've been through every doctor on the planet and there's always that one person who thinks they've had that one 'aha' moment that will cure your child if you'll only just listen. Bleh.
Maizie did sooo well and was so patient! You must be really proud of her! And I think you made the right choice - not putting her out would have been torture for her. Lots of prayers that the EEG goes well!
I am glad it went so well, and I hope the eeg goes just as smoothly. Your daughter is a trooper. My son would have been finished with the emla cream. I can imagine how hard the whole thing is for you guys.
Maizie is so brave and strong! You both are. I hope the eeg goes well.
Oh, Lord, please spare us all from well-intentioned busybody nurses (and others) who think they have the magic advice! Sheesh. (Sorry for the rant...guess it struck a nerve!)
Maizie is such a good sport about all this! I love that she made cards and had little gifts. What a sweetheart!
I swear, as I read this, M and Nik must be going through some of the same stuff...the MRI's, the headaches, the seizures, the EEG's...too bad we're not neighbors and could help each other out!
So glad the test seem to be coming back "normal." DO you have the EEG scheduled yet? Let usknow so we can send good thoughts! xo
Gotta love the nurses who think they know everything. We had a few that had a hay day with Rhett's hernia. I won't even get into it......
Sounds like you had a very entertaining day, I hope your EEG goes well.
I think both of us will be breathing a huge sigh of relief when we are finished with all of our kiddos testing!
((HUGS!!))
OMG- she is WAY braver than I am.
Thank you everyone for your very interesting comments. I read every one of them and love hearing from you. I wish I had time right now to respond to each one but I just can't keep up. Tonight we were supposed to go out to dinner with friends and M had another seizure. Seems we can't follow through with much of anything lately. Poor kiddo. Thank you for all of your support, prayers and insight.
Post a Comment