Sensory Memories Understood
Chaotic Idealism wrote a post today about 'stress based regression'. I think it is a very important read. We have always considered Maizie as being a child who regresses. Now, after reading her post I see it in a new light. Of course with Maizie's ongoing seizures we do see regression in other forms too that are very concerning for us. But for this post I will focus on the regression that stems from over stimulation, from an environment that is clashing with her needs.
It hits home with something we realized a few weeks ago when we were watching old behavioral video tapes of Maizie. I was appalled to see a few obvious areas of "over stimulation" or sensitivities that Maizie had that we were unable to recognize. I know I should not be too hard on myself but looking back I really wish we would have figured out what was upsetting her and been able to make a few simple changes. I am sure at the time we were making major changes all the time but still....it was really hard for me to watch.
I am amazed and humbled that Maizie was able to tell me exactly what she needed as she watched the video. I was not wanting her to watch the videos. I worried they would upset her or she would view her past differently. She begged me and I gave in. She has been fine since viewing them and taught me many lessons. Of course, keep in mind it would have only been within the last couple of years that she could have watched these videos and communicated with me on what was bothering her. Before that time she would not have had the verbal skills or possibly even the comprehension skills needed.
The first thing we noticed was during her bath time. Maizie was three to four years old in these videos. She would scream from the start of bath time until we finished cleaning her. I asked Maizie if she remembered what was upsetting her so much during the bathing time. Maizie laughed and said, "The water is loud and it feels bad on her body." Whenever Maizie sees herself on video she says things like, "She is sad." or "She is pretty." I know she understands it is her when she was little but she still does not speak of the video as if she is watching herself.
Anyway, when she clearly told me what was wrong with the bath time I about fell to the floor. Duh! What on earth was I thinking back then? Neither Joe nor any professional watching the tape figured it out. We knew the water sensation bugged her but we were oblivious to the noise factor.This also made me realize that she had the hardest time in the bath tub that was large and did her best in a small tub. Her best bath time experiences were when she would beg to bathe but only to play in the water so at those times I never ran the faucet to wash her hair or had to use wash cloths. Now, we use those disposable baby washcloths that are very soft. I know it is not very 'green' but they don't hurt her like regular wash cloths seem too.
Once Maizie pointed out this almost too obvious fact I noticed in the videos that she calmed down almost immediately once we turned off the water. We always kept the water running while washing her hair, therefore causing her to scream and hit at us during the entire procedure. While we watched the video I was horrified at how obvious this was! It was painful for me to watch. I was saying to myself in the video, "Turn off the water and she will relax!" We spent years bathing her in this fashion. All we would have had to do was run the bath water and get everything ready before even bringing her into the bathroom. If we did not want to rinse her hair from the tub water we could have easily filled it from the more quiet sink faucet.
I even noticed that before the bath when she was very upset she would hyper focus and scream about who was going to take her into the bathroom and who would bathe her. She would get very panicky and say, "Mama carry me! Mama do it." Then, during the video I noticed that Joe was the one who was washing her hair and doing all the bathing. Through the entire bath she kept repeating that Mama should have carried her. I really believe this was her way of trying to explain that we were not doing it in a way that was helping her. Had I listened to her I may have carried her in while Joe was getting the tub filled. If she associated Joe with the loud faucet noise it would make sense as to why she was screaming for me to hold her.
I know that looking back can't change what happened then. As Maizie was watching this video and explained why she was so upset I said, "Maizie....I am so very sorry we could not understand what you wanted, what you needed." Maizie smiled and said, "Mama...it's okay. I still love you."
Wow. As Maizie would say when her emotions are getting too strong, "I am melting!"
I also noticed major trouble with transitions during the video. I asked Maizie why she was screaming in the car and refusing to get in the car seat during one of the videos I showed her. She said to me, "The seat hurts." Plain as day! Well, no wonder these major...and I mean huge melt downs stopped once she was able to stop using a car seat. We were pretty much forced to use the car seat however. But, I wonder what we could have done to make it more pleasant for her.
I also asked her in one video why she was so upset with Joe leaving to go to work and me trying to get her in the car. This is what she said, "It is fast. It hurts when it is too fast."
Are you kidding me? I was amazed. I still am amazed. It has taken me a few weeks to process it all. I felt like total crap at having not figured some of these most simple things out. Now, would it have made a big difference if I turned off the faucet and changed the bath time routine? I guess I can't know for sure. Considering how fast Maizie explained the discomfort she felt in the videos......well, I am guessing I would have noticed some improvement.
Now that Maizie is able to verbalize her needs for the most part she is a much calmer and happier child. I do believe that many of her "behavioral" outbursts were her trying to tell us that the way something was happening was not good for her. I do think we were doing our best at the time. However, I will forever think that we should have thought through her routines in a more painstakingly detailed way. Broke down every task into little steps in order to discover what was the breaking point...where could we change something in order to help her feel more comftorable.
Maizie can't always explain why something is not right in her environment. It is sometimes hours or days before we get to the root cause of a serious melt down or fear of something that has taken place. Sometimes there are no answers and we are left wondering what went wrong.
Chaotic Idealism's post reminded me of these times with Maizie. I know looking back that Maizie's "bucket" was full early in the day and we forced her to do more, go more places and see more people. There would be days where Maizie would refuse to leave the house. I would get so upset with her because I wanted her to go to school or to a play date and there she was...huddled in a corner, screaming and holding on for dear life. Friends would think, "How can it be you can't make your four year old get in the car and go to school?" Well, it is true. I could not make her go. Her bucket was overflowing and she had no where to put any new stimulus coming at her. It took me years to respect that about Maizie. I had to change my lifestyle and my expectations of Maizie. Once I did that everything slowly turned for the better.
We still have many many struggles but I look through new eyes when we have them. I ask myself new questions and change our routine, our life style, sometimes even our friends to accommodate. It is never easy but the rewards are wonderful. I wish I would have learned to stop fighting against what Maizie needed way earlier. I wish I would have stopped trying to make her conform to what teachers, friends, doctors or other parents thought she should be like. Or better yet what I should be like in caring for her.
I should have listened to my gut when I thought Maizie had sensory processing disorder but doctors belittled my concerns and led me to seek answers in other directions. Finally, I stopped worrying about getting a diagnosis for sensory issues and read books on the subject and bought products I thought would help. I put myself in her place and tried to see things through her eyes, ears and through her skin. No professional can truly do that, only Joe and I know her that well.
I slowly began to accept that Maizie was a child who needed time alone, quiet, low lighting or none at all, air conditioning, cotton clothing with no tags, small bath tubs, shampooing without tilting the head back, no showers because she feels wobbly, special toothpaste that will not "burn", special foods that do not "stink" or are not of "bad color", fidgety toys, baggy shirts, tight pants, socks that 'feel right', something special from someones house before we leave, transitional objects for the car, deep pressure through hugs, heavy blankets or her squeeze machine, our perfume and scents are best when "Maizie approved", vacuum only when she is happy in her room with the door closed, no new movies or music unless she approves the "newness" of it, cutting her hair when she is ready and willing...not when I want it done, often silence is more rewarding in the long run than listening to "my music" while in the car,smells really can cause melt downs, she truly will learn when her 'brain wants to" (just like she tells me), just because she likes watching something does not mean she wants to participate and that has to be okay, if she says she can't do something it is not necessarily that she is being stubborn...more than likely it is the truth and I need to respect that, just because she can do something one day does not mean she will be able to or want to do it the next, she requires time to determine physical pain and sickness (she needs help knowing when she is sick), changes from one place to the next need to be slow and marked.....and the list goes on and on. What is the most important thing we have discovered and changed? Our expectations. Our attitudes. Our "way" of being. Our energy. Our lifestyle. So much of what we need to change and adjust is not within our daughter, but within ourselves.
Once again, I encourage you to read Reports from a resident Alien at Chaotic Idealism. I continue to learn a great deal from her blog.



21 comments:
An enlightening post, Marla. Thank you so much for this.
I hope that you are not being hard on yourself - we all do the best we can with what we know at the time. You've done a great service to so many of us figuring this stuff out.
Thank you. No, not any harder on myself than I usually am. :) I just keep on learning.
Wow. That list-----I am reading it again and again and this post too. Thank you, and thank you Maizie---
I found myself nodding my head through this entire post. Oh if only we could go back and do it again knowing then what we know now ...
If it's any consolation (and I think it IS) this post is going to make a huge difference to one or more moms who are in that new and scary place RIGHT NOW. Thanks to you things will be a little easier for their family.
Maizie sounds amazing. I'm glad you liked my post. :)
Don't beat yourself up for not knowing exactly what was bothering her, though! Sometimes, I don't know myself why I'm overloading; expecting somebody who doesn't live in my brain to automatically figure it out would be expecting quite a lot.
Generally, when I can't figure it out, I take inventory of my senses and my physical and mental condition, and ask myself: What am I feeling? Why? It takes a little thought sometimes--like when my refrigerator is humming too loudly or the light from the windows is too bright or there's a bit of label left in my shirt. Little things like that get overlooked until I realize, wait a minute, I'm stressed--why is that?
Tell Maizie I think she is a very cool little girl! :)
It is so hard when we look back at how we handled things, and then think to ourselves "if only I had done this... or realised that..."
Know that you're a great Mom to Maizie, and that you do your best... and Maizie knows this and so clearly loves you for it!
xx
Marla, I love this post. Most especially this last thought: "What is the most important thing we have discovered and changed? Our expectations. Our attitudes. Our "way" of being. Our energy. Our lifestyle. So much of what we need to change and adjust is not within our daughter, but within ourselves."
Such tremendous words of wisdom there. When I think back to the time before we knew, before our son was diagnosed, I cringe at how I used to fight with him, thinking his resistance was that he was just being stubborn. Don't beat yourself up over the things you didn't know.
What you've learned and taken away from these experiences is helpful to so many. Thank you for sharing this.
Marla,
Thank you for your honest post. I too hope you are not too hard on yourself. I can totally relate to a lot of what you are writing. We had a lot of similar issues with the tub, and my son has just started letting my husband wash his hair. Last night was the first time in years! I have always tried to figure out what makes my son tick, but I am not always successful. It got much easier once he was able to communicate, and it appears that you are finding it to be the same way with Maizie. I also find that I have many 'experts' throwing in their two cents with regards to 'behaviors'. I am just now coming to the conclusion that there needs to be a distinction between what is called a 'behavior' and what is a 'need' (for lack of a better word). My son has been having some issues in school and they take a behaviorist approach, which sometimes isn't the right way, especially when the behavior is just a function of something bigger. It takes time and an appreciation of the person to figure out what will make things better for our children. I guess as my son enters kindergarten, I am most terrified that people won't be able to take the time to get to really understand him. Thankfully, he is pretty bossy,lol.
You are a wonderful Mom!!!
Wonderful post, very insightful. I think this is true for many kids (ie terrible twos) but for some the stage of not being able to express is more intense, goes on longer, or has more triggers. How lucky for all of you that you are such a loving family.
Yay, Parent's can have breakthroughs too!
I am glad that M was able to tell you about her feelings and upsets, and that you are able to acknowledge how much sense they made in the review.
Great post! I look back on those early days and think how much easier life would have been if I had known how she was feeling. Life has certainly improved since we learned how to tackle those sensory issues.
I think it sounds like Maizie is amazing and she has an amazing mom. It's so great that you have taken the time to figure out her needs and that you address them and talk them over with her. I just read something today about trusting your intuition as a mom or dad, because it usually is right.
oh, marla! what an incredibly moving and wise post. and what an astounding gift to have Maizie be able to communicate so much to you! that she remembers so acutely! that she forgives so sweetly.
i know what you mean about that feeling, how did i not see that?
the list you give of what Maizie needs may be only partial, as you say, but it shows how loving, respectful, mindful and tuned in you and your husband are as her parents, how willing you are to learn, to change, to do things a new way, to guide as well as be guided. i don't know who is more lucky, you to have Maizie or her to have you. both. yes. both.
What a great post. I'm so glad that Maizie is able to open these doors for you now. That's so empowering!
I would like to share this post with Jaysen's school, to show how sensory issues affect kids from their standpoint, with your permission?
Marla, I can only echo much of what others have already said. Excellent post. TUlipmom is right, you are heling many of us moms who are there RIGHT NOW. Many thanks to you, to Maiziew, and to ChaoticIdealism for the great info and insights.
Very insightful and moving post. Our N1S and Mazie have many commonalities. You are right to say that we need to listen more to what they are saying. Not all kids like a lot of play dates and activities. Sometimes, quiet solitude is much more enjoyable.
Thank you for opening up for us.
Marla, I can't put into words how much I appreciate this post and your honesty. Melanie is at a place now where she looks back and tells me exactly what upset her or sent her over the cliff into a "biggie." It makes so much sense now, but at the time, I had no clue. I would have done anything, I did try so many things (therapies, doctors, books, etc.) to find out why. Why and what would set her off so quicly. She still has her biggies, but they come much less frequently and I understand them so much better.
I appreciate the links, and I know they will help parents that I work with too. Thank you!
Thanks everyone. I am so busy with Maizie it is all I can do to keep up with everyones blogs and my own. I love ya all and appreciate your support!
Did anyone watch the ABC Nightline on Autism in Girls? I actually thought it was pretty well done. One of the better that I have seen.
Great posts. None of us started out as experts, did we?
We made so many of the same mistakes.
It is clear you are a great mom. Maizie is a lucky girl.
I think it's great that you are recognizing your mistakes. That's one of the hardest things to do.
what a fascinating post! It's an amazing feeling when you discover the "lightswitch" that turns everything peaceful and doable...
Post a Comment