Camping Fun!
Our vacation was wonderful. We went to Buttersville Campground in Ludington, Michigan. This was our first camping trip as a family. It was the first time Joe and Maizie have ever been camping in a tent. I grew up camping and have always loved it. Our vacation was wonderful. Beautiful weather. Nice campground. Fun times with good friends and we were all feeling pretty good!
The campground was on Lake Michigan, about four hours from our home. Maizie was nervous for the long drive since she often gets carsick. She was also somewhat upset to be leaving her comfortable routine at home. I was praying the stress would not send her into a cyclical vomiting syndrome episode. Our friends and neighbors Janeen, Brian and the kids arrived before us. Brian's parents grabbed great spots for our tents the Sunday before we arrived. We ran into quite a few "bumps" the morning we left that postponed our arrival by about two hours.
Within minutes of arriving Maizie met a friend her age named Anna. They had so much fun playing together. Unfortunately, Anna had to leave the day after we arrived and so their fun was short lived. Addresses were exchanged and Maizie had a hard time accepting that Anna (seen in photo above with Maizie) had to go home. I am glad Maizie had such a positive experience making a new friend.
Our favorite times were spent on the beach. We flew kites, soaked in the sun and played in the sand. It was very relaxing. The beach made this by far my best camping trip. I love being by the water and so does Maizie and Joe. Our friend Brian is seen above with his little girl Navaeh. Savonna and Navaeh had a great time rolling around in the sand.
Brian bought Savonna her first kite. Kite flying seems to keep kids occupied for quite a while. There were some great shops in a nearby town. Joe was able to purchase some huge kites that we hope to fly soon. I think Joe is becoming quite addicted to kite flying.
Maizie was big into bugs on the trip. No surprise there. Thankfully I brought her bug hut since she caught a few caterpillars and beetles of varying design. Parting with the bugs was another difficult goodbye for Maizie. She stayed in the car while I put them back into the woods. When I came back she was tearing up.
Brian's parents told us about the Amber Elk Ranch nearby. It was awesome. The elk are so beautiful. I had no idea that the elk's antlers grow about an inch a day. They feel like crushed velvet. The largest and most beautiful antlers can sell for about $7,000. The kids had a great time feeding the elk while I asked the guide a million questions. Visiting the elk was definitely an experience we will count towards homeschooling.

Making smores is a great camping tradition. Maizie has never liked smores until she had them at Anna's camper. Suddenly, they were the best ever. So....we were very excited to make smores that night for Maizie. Apparently we don't have the 'special smore skills' that Anna's family had. Ours were always too brown or burnt or just nasty according to Maizie. We never did make her a smore she would eat. Argh.
You can see in the picture below that she is less than thrilled with Joe's smore making abilities.
Every morning Maizie did require her regular mid morning nap. There was one morning where we were concerned she was going to go into a CVS bout. Luckily, she seemed to rest it away. If there is such a thing. The first morning she had to lay down she became pretty upset when she realized we would not be able to go home in order to nap. Once I set up her bed so she could sit up and watch a movie she felt a better. There is something about her migraines that make her want to sleep sitting upright. Luckily, I had lots of blankets to make a pile for her to lay on.
Brian's parents do a lot of meal preparation which was very nice. One night Janeen and Brian made fajitas. I thought the peppers cooking over the fire looked so pretty, not to mention yummy.
We went to Historic White Pine Village . The first thing we saw was a pond that was hopping with frogs. Everywhere we looked there were frogs. I managed to catch one for Maizie. She refused to hold it. I thought it was quite beautiful with it's bright yellow belly. Maizie's favorite building was the old time store. She does like to shop. Just like her Mom and Dad!
The village had an old fashioned ice cream shop where you serve yourself. Needless to say we had to make ourselves some good ol' ice cream cones. I have tons more photos but wanted to share with you a few of my favorites. Now that we are back I am catching up on laundry and feel way behind with everything. I did have a difficult time being around the smoke and now have another sinus infection. Ugh.
All in all, we had a fantastic time and look forward to camping again soon. There were some difficulties with changing our routine for Maizie but we took our time and she seemed to adjust. I would say that she went through very intense homesickness. She especially missed the dogs. Next time we may bring our canine friends along. I missed you all and can't wait to get caught up on your blogs.



29 comments:
Wow, it looks like you guys had a great time! Great pictures!
I'm so jealous. That looks like a great vacation!
And I really like the first beach shot of Maize. Great composition.
Joe
Marla~
These are the best pics! That beach was really beautiful, and the elks...wow. Love the shots of the girls too. Glad you all had such a wonderful time.
Susie
What beautiful pictures! So glad you all had a great time.
Whee, camping! My family used to go camping every summer when I was growing up, and it was one of my absolute favorite things. Glad you all had a good time. :D
I'm so glad you guys had a nice time. It looks like a wonderful week and I'm jealous you were by the water. Was it warm enough to go swimming? We're entirely too land locked in these parts... What great pictures! Thanks for sharing.
I want vacation at the beach!
So thrilled to hear Maizie made a friend. Thank you for sharing such lovely days.
Thank you for such great photos! I'm glad you had such a lovely holiday, and hope you feel better really soon, BG x
Welcome back. It looks like you had a pretty great vacation as evident by your wonderful pics and great writing. Am really glad Maizie made a friend her own age. What an accomplishment! : )
Seeing that we're from Michigan, my family will have to try to Historical Village. My oldest loves frogs!!! Hope your sinuses clear up soon. Mine tend to flare up too whenever we travel away from home.
Thank you for your comments on my blog. Glad you and Joe appreciated the post about his blog. : )
Glad you guys had such a nice time and the pictures look like so much fun!
Hope your sinus infection doesn't last too long!
It looks like you had a fantastic time! You must be so proud f Maizie! Camping is huge.
I will say, as one who takes her dogs camping, it's a lot of work, and sometimes a real downer. You have to pick the campsite very carefully; dogs are frequently not allowed on the trails. And then you are camping only to "hike" on the streets. This is not too bad if you bring bikes and take turns with the actual hikes so one parent gets some down time. But, it's better to find places that allow the dogs to go. And, you can't do all the side trips you did, because dogs would definitely not be allowed. Just throwing my thoughts in. But, there's ups of having the dogs along too (of course).
I moved my blog while you were gone. More problems with the old server. http://hollysjoy.wordpress.com/
It looks like a wonderful time was had by all!
Yay!! You're back and it looks like you had a wonderful time. I love camping and am glad to see that Maizie enjoyed the trip :)
What a wonderful vacation! I used to go camping with my family when I was a child also. I loved it but haven't been able to figure out how to make it happen with all my kids now.
Welcome back!
Absolutely fabulous pictures. The beach looks beautiful and I have a total phobia of sand! The elks are adorable and I could just about feel their antlers on the screen. Poor Maizie having to suffer with migraines. But she did enjoy herself, that's obvious from the photos. Thank you for sharing those with us.
CJ xx
Your pictures are so beautiful they almost made me want to go camping too... That sand looked so soft! Loved the elks! But I'm too much of a princess when it comes to the outdoors. I'll take a lodge-style hotel instead. : )
I'm glad Mazie was able to enjoy the trip so much.
Looks like you had a wonderful time! My son was fascinated by the pictures. I think he would love to go camping!
Hello Marla, I've been reading for a while now. How great to see you guys have a nice holiday.
Those elk are amazing!
Marla,
You trip sounds fatastic! I love the pictures, they really captured the trip. Maizie does look like she is really enjoying herself. The campground looked so beautiful, the sand looked so clean and clear. I love camping in a tent. I recently found a picture of the last time we went, it it reminded me of all the fun we had. Also, a bit sad because the girls had grown so much.
I bet it was hard for you to leave your dogs. Glad you all made it back safe and sound. Try not to get too overwhelmed with the laundry!!
Have a great week.
XOXO
Marla, I am so glad you're back, I missed reading about life with Maizie, but I am thrilled you had such a grand time on your vacation and that she made it through the rough bumps and had so many great experiences. Ludington is beautiful, and I don't know if you got the same effect but everytime I am near Lake Michigan, I feel like I am oceanside. It's sorta magical.
Thanks for adding me to your blog roll. I would add your's to mine if I had one but I have no clue how to even set one up!
Glad you're back safely.
Looks like a really great time. I'm glad you all had fun. Hope those sinuses clear up soon. A diluted raw apple cider vinegar rinse always stops them for me.
Glad a good time was had by all! And Maizie made a friend...that's super!
she is just the sweetest glad you have a good time.
I am not the camping type.
But your photos make me yearn for the experience.
It looks like a beautiful trip!
P.S. Can Joe come live at my house and cook for me???
I never really understood why people would want to go camping until I reached the age of 25, I think Nathan has something to do with it. I still haven't been camping, but it is definitely something we want to do with our family, once everyone is able to walk independently. The pictures are great, I love the one of the ladybug. The elk look like amazing animals, what an awesome trip. Glad everyone had fun!
Sounds like a great time away for all ofyou...even with the homesckness fo the dogs and a few bump along the way. The pics are gorgeous!!
How incredibly fun!! :)
wonderful pics! looks like it was a blast! i want to go sometime!
What fantastic photographs, and what a wonderful time they show. You are certainly setting your kiddies off on the right track to be keen campers when they grow up. Mine are, too.
Post a Comment