Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Homeschooling the Special Needs Child...Should it be Legal?

Parade magazine asks...

Should Home-Schooling Be Illegal?

That is the question of a recent article in Parade magazine. Things in California are getting pretty tough for homeschoolers. I am thankful that we live in an "easy" state for homeschooling.

What happens in one state can eventually affect everyone. It does not take long for other states to follow suit. I can not imagine if I had to get approval from our local school system. One reason we homeschool is to avoid the mind blowing red tape involved with the public school system when educating a special needs child. Especially since we have different views when it comes to educating an Autistic child. Our child's needs are unique and the schools have never been able to meet her needs or understand them. We certainly tried.

Check out the article and let your vote be heard. Hopefully Parade Magazine will follow up with the amazing statistics that prove homeschooling works and works best without the government getting involved. I pay taxes for our community schools and have an active interest in them even without my daughter attending. I believe we must support one another for various schooling decisions.

I don't want the government to pay out a penny for our homeschooling. I don't want them to be involved in any way. I believe that once we ask for financial assistance from the government for homeschooling we are asking for trouble. Schools lose money as the homeschoolers increase every year. Especially for special needs children who are the most expensive to educate.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did read that article, and I was concerned. I am planning on expressing my opinion. How I wish I home schooled my oldest. I may have to home school my youngest. Public and private schools are not meeting the needs of so many children, especially ones with unique learning styles.
The government can't make blanket rules, on so many different types of situations and families. It is frustrating and scarey where this may lead.
XOXOX

DJ Kirkby said...

I agree with you about asking for money but really it is such a shame, the money should be there without you having to fear that Mazie's schooling will experience interferrance!

Sharon McDaid said...

Thanks for highlighting this. I truly hope that the rights of children to receive a good home-based education, will not be affected by further legislation.

I know how important it can be that our children can learn without school, if that is what is the best option for that family.

Bonnie said...

All I know is the people who homeschool that I know have nothing but good to say about it. I hope someday I'll be able to do it. As usual, people have to put down what they don't know much about. It's so individualized, how can anyone make a generalization about it?

Anonymous said...

It is an interesting debate. I never understood why anyone would want to homeschool--but as I've watched my son's on and off struggles through the public school system, homeschooling looks very appealing. I agree. There isn't "one" right way. Ideally, I'd like to see schools be more flexible, accommodate different learning styles, and embrace differences, but the reality is that's not likely to happen.

I've been asking around. In our town, I only know of one family that homeschools and the word is they are going back to regular school in the fall. If there were more of a homeschooling community here, I might consider it.

floating in space said...

Thanks for sharing that article. This post was spot on.

Melissa Jo said...

i can't believe there's even a discussion regarding this! I will definately be voicing my opinion. It's sad that I'm sure a handful of "not-so-involved" unprepared parents who claim to homeschool should ruin this amazing option for those that really value what it offers.

Anonymous said...

I've never understood how a system that preaches 'diversity' the way public school systems do can suddenly become so narrow-minded when it comes to educational options. Makes no sense to me at all. And I completely agree with you about not wanting government funding for homeschooling.

Club 166 said...

Many people with special needs kids homeschool not because it's their first choice, but because both public and private schools are not providing what their kids need.

If homeschooling is outlawed, special needs kids will fall even farther behind.

Joe

Niksmom said...

Yes, Joe hit the nail on the head! That is exactly our situation...and Nik isn't even 5! Thanks for the link to the article, Marla.

Marla said...

We homeschooled out of necessity as well. It was not our first choice. We tried public and private and I was trained as an advocate in order to better advocate for Maizie. It wore me out and I could only take on so much considering her intense needs. So, we homeschool and life is so much better. I would hate to see parents who have so much on their plate to have to jump through numerous hoops to homeschool.

Tina@ SendChocolateNow said...

Homeschoolers with special needs kids are the "dirty little secret" of the public school system. My son had speech, a one-to-one aide and pragmatics and OT. When I pulled him, I canceled his IEP, and we pay for our own services now. The district saves THOUSANDS a year by not having to "educate" my son. And I am not the only one. I have many friends who have also withdrawn their children as well. The districts don't want our kids back, they cost too much money.

If CA were to outlaw homeschooling, they would bankrupt the state and the local school districts with the services they would again have to provide. And, those services are sub-standard, at best, so everyone loses. My kids will NOT go back to the public school system.

Angie said...

Well, you know many of my views... And I agree with you, I don't one dime from the government for the educational choice our family has made. Here's the kicker... I'm also 100% okay with my tax money going to educate other children in our community. Not everyone can or wants to homeschool and that is their choice. We're all in this together.