Friday, September 26, 2008

5..4..3..2..1..Blast Off!

It took a year but Maizie and Joe finally set off the rocket they made together. Some projects get set aside and this was one of them. Finally, with some prodding from me Maizie and Joe prepared for take off. I have never seen or helped set off a rocket before. I had no idea what to expect and really could not see the thrill in it. I loved watching Joe and Maizie working as a team building the rocket and finally setting it off. Maizie was totally in the moment. She built it, painted it and set it up. Her focus is amazing when she is working on projects like this one. With a bit of hesitation she pushed the launch button and before I knew it the rocket was gone. I think Joe said it was made to go about 600 feet high. I could not even see where the heck it went. Probably because I was too busy trying to capture the event with my camera. Needless to say, I missed it the first time. Joe and Maizie were acting all excited. I cracked up seeing this photo below where Joe was obviously impressed with the speed of the rocket.
After this take off I focused on the rocket and not my camera. I still could not see where the damn thing went. It made a loud SWOOSH noise which I thought was the best part. I looked up and it was nowhere to be seen. Finally, I would see the orange parachute thingy as it slowly descended.

Maizie said her favorite part was the launch button. The noise did not bother her at all. Joe was into rockets when he was a little kid. He lived in the country and I imagine setting off rockets and blowing things up was a major highlight of his childhood.

19 comments:

floating in space said...

Very cool! And yes, it is amazing how well they focus when they are interested in something.

Anonymous said...

How awesome that he got to share that with Maizie. We did rockets in 8th grade and I still remember it vividly. Like Maizie I loved that launch button :)

jo3baltes said...

So glad you enjoyed the spectacle. And yes, growing up on ~50 acres with no close neighbors, things were known to disappear in puffs of smoke now and then. Now I need to work on the other 3 rockets we have... lol.

Niksmom said...

How cool! This reminded me of my childhood; I was a member of the rocket club in grammar school. Yep, the rocket club. :-)

EJ Willingham said...

That looks like tons of fun. It's always entertaining to see the boy come out in a man. Maizie's lucky to have a dad who does fun things like this with her...and a mom to urge them on.

E

kristina said...

I loved this! You can tell how focused and concentrating Maizie is from the photos (as is her dad).

Bonnie said...

What a cool project! So glad it went off without a hitch!

Casdok said...

What a great set of photos. Looks like great fun!

Katrin said...

LOL LOVE it!!! Always want to do something like that when I was a kid, was always told "No, too dangerous, you can blow your hand off doing that stuff."

Glad you had a good time!

Travis Erwin said...

I used to have some rockets like that in my younger days. Loved them.

Melissa Jo said...

awe, that's too fun! they look so cute in the 'excited' photo! wish i could have seen it! miss you all tons!

Dad Stuff said...

I've always wanted to try that. Great action shots.

Anonymous said...

My girls love to set off rockets with their dad. He use to do this with his dad down at the mall in DC. So every single time we go to his mom's summer house in Vermont, they get to work. I was never into rockets either, but I love watching them work together.

Your photos are so great. It really captures the whole spirit of rockets! So glad Maizie enjoyed it so much.

Thank you, also, for your words of support. Means so much.

DJ Kirkby said...

That looks like great fun but I know the noise would be too loud for me! It sure looks warm there, cold here now :( I finally found those owl pellets that you posted about ages ago and so we have bought them for N3S for Christmas!

Julie L. said...

Looks like a great daughter/father bonding experience. : )

Stinking Billy said...

marla, you are producing such really interesting and beautifully illustrated posts that I wonder where you get all the time from? But, that isn't meant as any sort of oblique criticism. Keep them coming, for God's sake.

Pregnantly Plump said...

What a fun Daddy/Daughter project! I've never done a rocket like that either, but it looks like lots of fun!

Anonymous said...

What a neat rocket! I'm afraid it would have to be a mother/son project at our house - my husband hates things that involve fire. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great team the two of them make -- and what a fun project!