Thoughts on Labeling
When Maizie was a baby and we knew she was not feeling well I remember thinking, "If we just knew what it was. A name. If we had the name of it everything will fall into place. There will be answers. There will be things we can do, things to change, ways to make everything better."
Once we had a "label" I always felt hopeful. I knew that information was power and with it I felt powerful. Over time the first label was not fitting, and then the second, the third, the fourth, etc.
With each label I read books, I studied, I taught others, I interviewed doctors and professionals, I looked for the best help we could find.
Each time...nothing changed. What was I expecting to change? Did I want Maizie to be "normal"? Sure we had medications to try, therapies and behavioral strategies. What exactly was it we were looking for? We were searching for answers to help Maizie feel better. That much I knew for sure. I wanted her to be able to play, to speak, to answer questions, to laugh and run and play. Making it through a day without being in pain was certainly something I wanted for her. I wanted her to have a childhood like I had.
Whatever label we had did grant us a certain power of sorts. It led us to a certain doctor who would in turn give us ideas or medications to help Maizie. Some of the medications helped and some did not. At times there were the doctors who knew nothing, who caused more trauma and damage than I could have foreseen.
All of this I never wanted to put Maizie through. I never wanted to put Joe and me through it. But, it was that way. I can't see it going any differently. The searching, the sleepless nights, watching Maizie in pain physically and emotionally for hours...for days. How can a parent watch that and not search? It is impossible.
And yet. When it gets right down to it...Maizie is just Maizie. She can not be categorized. One can not say, "See! She is just like this child here or that one there. Do what we did for this child and it will help her exactly the same!" Like everyone else in this world Maizie is her own person despite her diagnosis. What works for one child or adult may not work for another.
Maizie's medications don't change who she is. They are not some miracle potion that make her find her words, stop her anxiety, insomnia, migraines and inability to withstand certain noises or situations go away. Her medications are a tool. A tool that must be researched, reexamined and thoroughly evaluated on an ongoing basis.
Maizie is not her medication. She is simply Maizie. A child who is simply that. A child.
I continue to question the labels we use. She needed a label in order to get schooling where she is taught using alternative methods. Labels that determine the correct medications to treat her pain are very important. A label was necessary for her to get proper care in the hospital when the nurses insisted she could withstand having a roommate when it was beyond clear that she could not. I could go on and on. Our lives revolve around these labels. I have fought for these labels and I fight for others to see beyond them.
We rely on labels to move forward. And yet every day I am with Maizie it becomes more clear to me that yes, we rely on these words, these categorizations for help...but she is not at all what they define. Maizie is Maizie. My daughter. A child.
We are a world full of people wanting to put everyone else in a category, a slot, a box. People say, "Oh, if we can just get this one part of this child under control....if we can just figure out what makes this one tick like that when I want so badly for her to tick like this...why can't she be more like this or like that? Maybe if we call it that or this we can make it stop. Maybe we can change her to be more like that child or more like me?"
A label...is a label....is a label. My child has a whole list of her intended labels floating around on charts, graphs, medication bottles and IEP's.
The world wants to squeeze her into a box. Make her fit in. Push her this way and that. I just want her to be a kid. And yet, there they are...the labels. Our society is obsessed with them. I certainly have been as well.
Maizie is big into the classification of flowers. She carries a book with her wherever we go. If we cannot find a particular weed or flower in the book she makes me search endlessly for it online. She says, "Keep looking mom. Don't give up. I know you can find it. This flower has to match something."
I took these photos as Maizie was diligently trying to classify a dead Black-Eyed Susan she had picked for me. You can see it all wilted in the background. Once she found it she said, "Yes! It fits in right here. See....this flower is just like that one. It has a match. Did you know that mom?"
Immediately when she said that I was struck with how a flower can be categorized, drawn and labeled. It has a place where it fits, where it grows and it needs a certain amount of water and sun. The list seems so easy. The labels so fitting.
This is not so for my Maizie. Her labels don't define her. They say little about who she is. Bits and pieces may seem fitting.
Finally, I don't seek out labels anymore and I accept that current labels say very little about who she is.
New labels change nothing.
Josephine Lawrence, Let Us Consider One Another (1945)



24 comments:
I totally agree that labels are best conceptualized as tools. In my opinion all labels are contextual, meaning that no one term can ever sum up an entire person across all contexts, or even tell you much *about* that person if the context has not been specifically stated.
Brains are brains and people are people, and the best any label can do is help make it possible for someone to access services and information that help them.
I hear ya about the labels being a means of getting the things our childrens' needs met. Since Gus does not have any cognitive delays that anyone has seen, the school is always trying to push for mainstreaming him when he clearly can't manage a larger/more demanding class structure than he's in. It's always an adventure.
My daughter loves flowers, too! :-)
Marla, this is a lovely post. I was just thinking about this very subject this morning, specifically about how much information do I share as Kate meets new kids in kindergarten. Do I use the word autism or not? How much do I explain? Thank you for the reminder that the label doesn't really matter; that she is who she is, label or not.
It strikes me that it's kind of like defining a circle by drawing polygons on the inside and outside. Every time you add a new side, a new label, you get a little bit closer to the actual circumference of the circle, but you can never quite get there, and there are much faster ways to get a circle's circumference if your just willing to admit that it isn't a polygon after all; it's a circle with curvy sides and you need to be a bit more flexible with your measurements.
Oh, and I was thinking along somewhat similar lines when I wrote the following in a recent post:
"Autistic people are real, have always been real, even when we weren't called "autistic", and we would continue to perceive, think, memorize, and generally exist in the world the way we do if the "labels" suddenly changed or disappeared...
...The reality of human existence is that brains and perceptual styles do not come in only one flavor, and right now it is also true that some flavors (again, regardless of what they happen to be called) are still widely misunderstood.
These misunderstandings affect not only what gets written in textbooks, but people's actual lives.
Because of this, efforts must continue not only to understand the principles by which various minds operate, but to make sure the common conceptualization of "valid person" does not limit itself only to majority flavors.
Great post. I guess labels are a necessary evil but I hate the limits they impose on the things they describe.
What a wonderful post, and oh my how much she's grown!
BG x
Marla, how wonderful and insightful your posts are. I appreciate so much what you write here and I'm so glad I found your blog.
On labels I agree with what annec says above. In my experience the labels are useful because they lead you to information and people who might be helpful and supportive. My labels came as a relief after years of wondering what the hell was going on. However they do not define me, I'm me, just as your Maizie is Maizie.
I think the finding common ground thing has been the most helpful thing for me. What gets seen as 'normal' seems so narrow that when I find someone who does the 'odd' things I do it's a comfort.
On the plant classification thing, I also have an interest in plant taxonomy. I think categorising the world makes it feel a bit safer for some of us. I enjoy the sounds of the latin and greek botanic names too. However despite our classification the plant keeps growing, unconcerned that we've called it Sprengelia incarnata (or whatever) they just keep growing.
Perfectly worded! As a mom of a child with a new dx, I fight the labels every day... both externally and internally.
Great post, Marla. You captured the paradox of labels quite well!
This post is perfect Marla. Last night when I was laying in bed with Mel, having our nightly chat, she said, "I don't know what I am, they keep changing my label." This started a huge, great discussion about how she is not a label, she is Melanie, made up of so many wonderful parts. How people need labels so they can give a certain program (like Resource at her school), her doctors for medicine, etc. She said, "I understand all that, but I just want to be normal." I went into another discussion about there is no such thing as normal, were all different, all struggle with different issues, etc. It was an intense conversation! Yet, a good one.
I have been where you are, through the years, with the searching, labels, treatments, etc. In the end, your right, our children are just that, children. Wonderful children at that.
XXXXXXX
This is such a thought-provoking post. You do such a good job of articulating feelings that I think would be really hard for many to put into words.
Maizie is definitely her own person, and I agree that children shouldn't be restricted to labels.
marla, terrific piece of writing. Award youself another label in your profile- that of "Writer". x
P.S. Love your new photo, thanks! x
Very insightful post.
At park day last week, DS was playing with a boy 3 years DX with aspberger's. A mom asked if the age difference concerned me and then remarked, "Oh, but he did have social issues." I pointed out that James does too, they just aren't dx-ed. And it was somewhat flippant, but my point was that she was dismissive of the boy because of his label.
Marla, This is an amazing post. Eloquently written and thought provoking. I just love it.
I once wrote a note to my son's teachers at the start of the school year, begging them to see beyond his autism, to focus instead on his potential and strengths. Three months later, I wrote a note to these same teachers, asking them to get more training about the label, so they would stop ignoring and misunderstanding its very real limitations.
I constantly tell my son to stop thinking he "can't" do something because of his autism. Then I validate him when he really can't do something because of his autism.
I wish I could find the balance you've found about labels. I'm still entirely baffled.
well said! i think that everyone can take something from that. everyone suffers from labels i think. trying to be included under one label, breaking free from another it's all exhausting and frustrating. thanks for the post. made me think :)
Forgive me for just now catching up. I feel so far behind!
This post is so amazingly written. I have some labels for Maizie:
Inquisitive
Diligent
Encouraging (Don't give up)
etc. etc.
those traits (or labels) are very positive things that many "typical" kids lack in today's world. She has those because of you and Joe. Wonderful parents to a wonderful little girl!
Well said, Marla. I can't begin to tell you how much the label thing troubles me—it's a love/hate thing.
This is such a brilliant post. A label has defined Amy and dictated her education which has and is very useful when it comes to statements. I'm not sure about labels myself - they have helped us in the past but like you say, the child is the child, not a label.
CJ xx
Well put. Labels can be valuable for getting proper services and needed help.
I have found our son's Aspergers label sometimes acts as an introduction to our son, a starting place. Then people gradually get to know him from there.
Labels have their place and uses, but are not the end of the biography.
Your posts always make me think! I have a love/hate relationship with labels. I embrace them for the help they give and hate them for the limitations they bring with them (as far as perceptions of other people go). I am learning not to care about that as much though.
I always try and look at my son as an individual not defined by pdd-nos. In the beginning it was hard for me. But now it really doesn't mean all that much- although it can be tricky in public sometimes. I never know what's pdd and what is just behavior and that's when I get all confused.
This post is brilliant, Marla -- I know what you mean about fighting so hard for those labels in order to help our children, while at the same time not wanting others to use those labels to define our children as people. You say things with such beautiful clarity.
Post a Comment