Monday, September 22, 2008

Orthodontics Evaluation

You all may remember me talking about taking Maizie for an orthodontics evaluation a year ago or so. It was continually put off due to her frequent hospitalizations and eventual treatment for CVS.

Last week Maizie had her teeth cleaned and her dentist was very understanding as to why we had to put off scheduling a consultation. He works with special needs children and understands the complexity involved. Many of you know what it is like to try and balance everything. You have various medical problems, hearing, visual, physical therapy and the list goes on. It is hard to pick and choose what should be treated first. It is ideal if you can do them all at the same time. Unlikely though due to one health factor outweighing another. Or financial situations that make it necessary to put off certain therapies/treatments due to high cost.

I was happy Maizie had no cavities but the dentist highly recommended Maizie see an orthodontist who works well with special needs children as soon as possible. Before I knew it Maizie was having her consultation. At first they asked me to stay behind but Maizie was not having that. I reminded them of her diagnosis and they apologized. Maizie needed me to help her through the photos. The staff was incredibly caring and worked well with Maizie.For her the x rays were the easy part. The digital photos were very difficult for her. I had to help her hold the plastic as the nurse took the pictures. Maizie told me later that the taking of the photos hurt her a lot. Touch, smells, new place, change of schedule, impending talk of braces, lights (even though she did insist on keeping her glasses on and they were cool with that), new people walking around, rubber gloves, having to lay back and the list goes on. Just one of these is tough for Maizie. Mix them altogether and we have one very difficult experience for Maizie. As you see she brought Spot to help her along. As soon as she knew the photos were done she was all smiles..for a while. When we were waiting in the office (just the two of us) to speak with the doctor Maizie kept herself busy doing some workbooks. After a few minutes she began worrying and started to cry a bit. She had heard the word 'braces' being thrown around and was less than pleased. This first round of treatments is to allow room for teeth to come through. Maizie was asked to sign a contract that outlined exactly what was expected of her in this process. Cleaning her teeth, not eating candy, etc. Maizie read the entire contract aloud, hesitated and then signed. Later she asked, "So...I won't get to eat ever again?"

Tomorrow she has her first appointment for the expander. So far she has handled the wait well. The orthodontist's office is awesome. Way better than when I was a kid. They have video games, slushy machines, fresh breads and a fully supplied tooth brushing station. It felt more like a spa to me. Kids today...they have it so good.

12 comments:

Bonnie said...

Ah, I know kids do it have it easier but boy, what a sensory experience it is for them! I feel for her and it sounds like she was a trooper and did awesome. We're lucky enough to have my sis-in-law as a hygenist, but it still doesn't make things totally easy!

Good luck with the expander.

Julie L. said...

Oh my goodness that office sounds like a dream. The wonderful staff is the real bonus, but the Slushy machine and fresh bread is really something! As a former patient of an orthodontist, I am truly envious! You are right. Kids today have it so good. : )

Anonymous said...

James had an expander and the worst part was the mold that they had to take for it. He freaked out for that; it felt to him like he was gagging. I wasn't prepared for that and neither was he. It was over quickly but he still dreads it if he ends up needing a retainer.

Also, it was painful for him for about a week. Motrin and tylenol combo worked but he was waking up at night and I had to write on his mirror what I was giving him when to remember so I didn't od him. The dentist was surprised he was so sensitive, so I guess that is unusual.

Once he first week was over, he had no problems.

Good luck!

Pregnantly Plump said...

That office sounds amazing! How cool is that?
Hope getting the spacers goes well, I remember those being kind of uncomfortable at first, feeling like you have food stuck between your teeth.

floating in space said...

Best of luck to Maizie with the braces. She will do great!

Anonymous said...

I hope the expander and spacers don't cause her too much discomfort. Sounds like she got through the visit like a champ!

Niksmom said...

Wow, it sounds like Maizie really handled all the smells, sounds, etc. really well. She's such a trooper!

Good luck with the process; I'll be interested to read more. I have a feeling that is a road we will have to go down one day in the future.

Anonymous said...

i'd be afraid of not eating again too. I'm glad she asked. Keep us updated. I'm curious as to how she does. My baby will need them to and maybe you can have some tips on how to get us over some sensory bumps by then.

kristina said...

Charlie has yet to have an x-ray----am so impressed! The dentist and orthodontist are stressful for ayon and the "contract"----one step at a time, for sure. Ii am not at all sure if Charlie will be able to get braces put on should he need them, or to keep them on..... thank you for sharing about this experience in particular. And his dentist office is just as deluxe; far cry from the offices with a dentist chair and a spittoon when I was a kid.

Col said...

Well done to Maizie and you.

No candy ever? :)

michele_k said...

I have to get both Y & J into the orthodontist. Both may need braces. Yikes. I was referred to someone who works with special needs but I've been holding off on calling. Bad idea, I know. I have no idea how J would do with braces. His mouth is one area where he has a lot of sensory issues. Getting him to brush his teeth is difficult and he hates wiping his mouth after he eats. I know I shouldn't but I'm holding off on braces for as long as I can.

Now Y, she's a different story. She'll be fine with them. She just doesn't want to get them.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I can't get over what the dentist office is like now as compared to what it was when I was a kid -- LOL!

We have an orthodontist appointment coming up too (we've had a hard time fitting it in with all of our other appointments as well). J's next big surgery will likely be jaw reconstruction when she's in her teen years. I'm already not looking forward to it.