"Sometimes I like that word...Autism."
Last night we met our friends Janeen, Brian and their two little girls Savonna and Nevaeh for dinner. We knew we were pushing this dinner since Maizie spent the night at my mom's house the night before. From there she went to the zoo with her great Aunt Julie, Aunt Marie and her boys. The day was sunny and warm so I had my concerns about the zoo trip.
Joe and I were getting concerned when two hours went by and we still had not heard from Julie. Finally, I called her and she said they had split up at the zoo and they could not find Marie and Christian. This is where I want to say, "Ummm...you all have cell phones....why don't Marie and Daniel ever use them???!!!" Argh. Maizie and Julie spent a great deal of time walking around looking for them. For Maizie that is stressful since she seems to think people just disappear when they are not around. Literally.
I asked Julie to meet us at the gift shop in ten minutes. We were going to pick up Maizie. Joe and I were both nervous wondering what kind of melt down she would have in the car once we picked her up. Amazingly enough she got in the car and managed to tell us a bit about the zoo trip.
I still held my breath thinking, "This is too good to be true." Once back home I gave her a bath since she was a sweaty mess. Maizie was very excited for the dinner plans even after her long day.
At the restaurant she was not happy with the idea of sitting next to five year old Savonna. In the past she has had real problems with Savonna's table manners. Being five and a real sweetheart...Savonna worships Maizie and wants to sit right next to her. Maizie was saying things like, "I can't take it! I don't want her to sit next to me! She is annoying!" Tears began forming in Maizie's eyes, cheeks turning red.
Savonna runs behind my chair and begins whining, "I want to sit by Maizie! I don't want to sit there!" Oh, my. It was not pretty.
We managed to sit the two next to one another. Savonna began coloring and Maizie became increasingly angry. She gave me a glare and put on her sunglasses. A sure sign that our time would be limited if I did not figure out something.
Seeing how occupied Savonna was I told Maizie to switch places with me and I sat next to Savonna. Savonna did not seem to notice or care. Within minutes Maizie was calmer and began doing her worksheets. Crisis averted. Whew!
Maizie then says, "Tell Savonna where I am going to school soon."
I say, "The Children's Autism Center."
Maizie howls, "No! Tell her why I am going there." I paused trying to figure out what she wanted me to say.
Maizie's frustration grows and she insists, "Tell her why I get to go there Mom!"
Savonna was looking at me waiting and I said, "Maizie is going there because she is Autistic."
Maizie smiled and said, "Savonna that means that I get to go there and you don't. I am Autistic and you are not Autistic so you can't go there! Right Mom? Is Savonna Autistic? Is she?"
At this point Janeen and Brian are staring at me, Joe is waiting in anticipation. Waiting for what I will say.
I smile and say, "No. I don't think Savonna is Autistic. You are right. She goes to a different school, not the Autism Center."
Maizie looks at Savonna all proud like and says, "Yup, I am Autistic so I get to go and you don't."
Nice. Maizie says, " Mom. Why am I Autistic." Joe says, "That's just the way you were made."
I go on about how there are lots of Autistic people and mention her blogger friend Anne C. Joe talks about how Anne is a very smart engineer and we discuss the painting she sent Maizie. Maizie looks at Savonna and says, "Yeah. She is an artist and she is Autistic just like me!"
Savonna is focused on the conversation. She stops every now and then to draw on her note pad.
Maizie then asks, "What do I do that is Autistic?" My eyes get real big and I wonder when the questions will end. I explain that she is smart, reads well and has a great passion for animals. I go on to explain how she is extra sensitive to smell, touch, lights and that she tends to learn in a different way.
After me blabbing on and on Maizie looks at Savonna again all serious like. She smiles and speaks with great confidence, "See. I am Autistic."
Savonna looks up and stares at Maizie. In her sweet, slightly robotic voice she says, "I know. Sometimes I like that word....Autism." Savonna grins. Maizie nods happily in her direction.
I melt.



22 comments:
I love this. I love Maizie's attitude. It's so great to hear how confident she is in herself and to convey that to Savonna. Then to have Savonna say what she did, "Sometimes I like the word...Autism." Wonderful. It almost made me cry.
I love this post. I reminds me of us. We're here, we're autistic, get over it. She'll probably find some middle ground for her pride in herself as she gets older...it's so natural to let out how proud you are of yourself because of the special things that make you, you.
E
Oh Marla. How I wish so many people would read this post. Not long ago I was appalled by someone saying they wished they had a normal child instead of an autistic one. Yes, that's right. I was amazed too. I am proud to have Amy. Autistic or not, she, as Maizie is to you, is the most wonderful and very normal child EVER. Lovely read.
CJ xx
Wow. Simply...wow. When does Maizie start at the Autism Ctr? It sure sounds like she is excited about it. I hope it works well for her (and you; you deserve some respite for a bit!). Hugs.
Oh my God, now if that isn't Autism Acceptance on it's purest level, I don't know what is! Thanks for sharing this awesome story!
Casey still claims he doesn't have Autism, because "it's for babies!". Could he and Maizie hang out, she would be a positive influence I believe!
That's beautiful. Absolutely. Freaking. Beautiful.
Lovely post Marla.
Thank you for sharing these moments with us all.
Oh man...what a fantastic conversation! Thank you so much for sharing. :)
Oh wow. Maizie is just too cool. :) Reading this makes me really really happy. (I am seriously almost at a loss for words, but in a good way!)
Love this! because it shows that Maizie wasn't raised to be ashamed of her differences. :o)
I just wanna squeeze her. :) I love her outlook on it.
I love this, so sweet, pure and beautiful.
I deleted a life of triggers, posting with my first name now, instead of middle. Please join me at my new "home."
XXXX
just wow, squared.
Wow Maizie's acceptance of being autistic is pretty great! : )My guy is still in denial, but we're working on it.
Too darn cute! Both that Maizie feels proud of who she is and that Savonna loves her so much too. Good luck today with her first day at the center~
I'm glad it worked out in the end...
P.S. There is an award for you at my blog. : ) take care, jml.
Simply beautiful.
Wonderful! For both of them. It reflects well on you that she has such confidence.
Can I give this to about - oh, I don't know - about a MILLION PEOPLE?
Perfect.
This is a beautiful post!!! Yay for Maizie for being proud of herself and Yay for you guys for doing such an awesome job raising her!!!!!!
You know, I think between the two of them, they are the perfect example of how the world should be -- being confident in who you are and accepting of everyone else just as they are. What an absolutely beautiful moment -- I think I've melted too :)
Post a Comment