Flo and Kay...Autistic Savants, Thoughts on Caregiving
Yesterday I watched a program I recorded called Flo & Kay: Twin Savants. Possibly you have seen it as well? I found myself moved throughout the film.
Flo and Kay Lyman are both Autistic and very close to one another. Very close. They have an interesting obsession with Dick Clark and are friends with him. Dick Clark met with the twins and sends them cards. I now have a very special place in my heart for Dick Clark. He could have blown them off but he took the time to communicate with two of his biggest fans on an ongoing basis.
It was especially interesting for me to watch this since I was asked this question by an acquaintance a few weeks ago. He asked, "Maizie is autistic? What is her 'special skill'?" I sat there...staring at the guy in disbelief. He was relatively young so I would have thought he understood a bit more about Autism. Was I understanding him correctly? Was he assuming all Autistic people were savants? My pause was long and uncomfortable enough that he added, "You know....like counting cards or something." Argh. Rainman.
I took that opportunity to talk a bit about Autism and how incredible Maizie is. I have to believe that he was asking me the question with kind intentions. If not, I would never leave the house considering how often I get asked bizarre questions in regards to my daughter, Autism and even adoption (I will cover a frequently asked question in regards to adoption in another post soon).
The show Flo & Kay talks about the many misconceptions in regards to Autism and Savant abilities. It says that ten percent of people with Autism have savant characteristics. That is quite low and yet many people think that all Autistics are like the character in Rainman. I was very pleased to hear the show go into detail on the statistics and touch a bit on how Autism varies from person to person.
The program also discussed the stress on caregivers and the difficulties of finding ongoing care when the main caregiver passes on. A subject I don't like to think about.
Flo and Kay were raised by their mother. The mother felt so left out of her community, so alone and without help that she tried taking her life and the life of the twins. It was the twins older, neurotypical sister that stopped her when she found them all with their heads in the gas oven. Needless to say I was aghast hearing this. And yet, we still hear stories like this or much worse to this day. The twins said the mother promised she would never hurt them again after the older sister saved them.
Obviously I was moved. I could relate to their mother and felt such sadness for her. I had more support than she had and I still felt desperate...alone and beyond exhausted. Back in the 50's when the twins were little the supports were non existent. Children with disabilities were often hidden and looked at shamefully by others. I know when my mom was caring for my sister who had a stroke at six the supports were terrible. That was in the seventies. We have come a long long way. And yet, there is still a long way to go. A very long way.
We need to look out for caregivers during these difficult times and support them in any way we can. As caregivers, we need to ask others for help and be very specific with our requests. Friends and family can not read our minds. I would often try and hide just how difficult life was because I wanted to be the perfect mom. I still struggle with this. That got me nowhere but more tired and more alone. Sometimes it is difficult to ask for help.
I am lucky to have my sister Melissa. She was the one who brought my relentless depression to my attention, helped me make my appointment, encouraged me to try medication and went with me so she could communicate my situation. I was beyond words at that point. All I did was cry at that meeting. Sometimes we can't see a way out until someone guides us along.
I hope Flo & Kay's mother was able to see what charming women her daughters are. I hope that she died knowing she did a very good job raising the twins. Mothers often get the blame for everything and very little recognition for the hard work they are putting forth to care for their children.
My life has been looking up over that last few years. I read many blogs where the families are in the early years of finding a diagnosis and caring for an Autistic child. Some are searching for a cure and some are moving on to the place of acceptance and pure joy for who their child is. It is a process and it takes time.
I do not believe there is a cure for Autism and I don't search for one anymore. I need my energy for living life and enjoying my time with Maizie, Joe and my friends. Looking back at my earlier years as a mom I can understand my exhaustion, frustration and fear but I do wish I would have spent less time worrying, fretting over the latest cause or potential cure. Instead, I would have spent more time just 'being' with Maizie, enjoying everything about her without trying to force her to change. It is easy to say that now. At the time I felt like I was living on an island, swimming against a sea of negativity...trying to reach my daughter. If I had been blogging back then and had the support network I have now...I think that would have helped me see more clearly.
Sometimes when I am trying to help Maizie develop skills and she is struggling with health issues I see life through a very thick filter of illness, disability and desperation. Every little thing in my vision becomes clouded, distorted and life feels desperate and fearful. It is hard to remove that filter from my eyes. And yet, it is necessary to remove it in order to let Maizie be Maizie and me be me. I am still working hard at peeling back that damn filter. The light is fantastic though when you let it through. Everything is dazlious!
Flo & Kay inspired me to write this post as did the many people who love them. Flo & Kay are truly dazlious!



32 comments:
Very well said Marla!
When I tell people that I am interested in autism they frequently mention Rainman, but I've never gotten around to seeing it.
I do really enjoy the book The Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. The narrator is a fifteen year old fictional young man with autism. He is very gifted in math, which is a bit stereotypical, but it was useful for me to read about his thought process in regards to communication. I would love to hear your thoughts about it, if you've read it. :)
This is a beautiful and very touching post, Marla. Flo and Kay look familiar... I think I have seen them before, but can't place the show. I am so impressed at the way you handle misguided statements. Sometimes I think people simply don't know any better and aren't thinking before they speak. Your open attitude and willingness to educate without becoming hostile is very admirable. A woman in our homeschool group has an autistic son and she is very defensive and often becomes upset at statements that were made in innocence. It took me a while to get used to that and try to think about the place she was coming from as well.
This is quite lovely. I haven't seen this program but would like to.
I saw the show along with my 13 yr old HFA son. We enjoyed it very much. I even blogged about it. Seems many are interested in finding out more about Kay & Flo according to the google searches for the last week.
Where did you find the pics of them?
Great post and well..who wants to be cured of autism anyway? N3S wanted to go to his school disco last night and so I took him. With his ear plugs in he was able to eventually make his way into the school hall where he sepent the next hour and a bit, mouth agape, head back staring at the beautiful lights on the ceiling and talking non stop. I was so happy for him, he was having such a good time and then I noticed many of the other mothers staring at us. I don't think they understood how special that was for N3S, I think they thought he should have been dancing...diversity is alive and well at that school...not.
Beautiful thoughts on caregiving.
Marla,
This is such a moving and powerful post. I so understand about seeing through that filter and how much better it is when we can let some light in. When Melanie was a toddler, my doctor told me, "just let Melanie be Melanie and enjoy her." It helped, but is not easy when I see her struggling.
Support is critical, I'm so thankful for the blogging world. Having people truly "get it" makes all the difference. Day by day, moment by moment is the only way.
I'm going to have to look for this show. It sounds so interesting.
XXXXXXX
The Flo & Kay doco was recently on tv here too, really interesting and moving.
No savant skills for me though, just plain old AS & OCD ;)
Another lovely post Marla. I've said it before but I'll say it again - I'm so glad I found your blog.
I love this post. Great post.
And I can't believe I just read a comment about The Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time! I just posted about that...because my husband is finally able to talk about autism--for our whole family--more comfortably after reading it.
Tag you're it.
I agree with what so many have already said. This is a beautiful post. You are an awesome mom and blogger. I want to see Flo and Kay. :o)
wow...i hadn't heard of that story but I really want to see it on the tele. HOpefully it will replay. Thanks for sharing :)
I've never heard of this show, but it sounds very eye-opening.
You are so honest in your posts. Your words are such a help to others. You write about life how it is, there are great highs, but there are lows. It seems to me that you are a glass half-full person, which is a great inspiration.
Flo and Kay sound great. Hope I can see a replay sometime. As for viewing life without the dark filters on, I hear you. Am glad you have a loving family as well as the will to see the light. : )
Haven't encountered the Rainman assumption yet, but realize it could pop up someday.
There's a great deal in this excellent post that I will be thinking about for a while, but I was particularly struck by how you came to deal with depression. I'm glad you did. Still struggling with it here.
This post was quite moving on many levels.
~Andrea
My Autism Insights
"Sometimes it is difficult to ask for help"----so and too true.
Ive seen this interesting show. Beautiful written!
I totally agree that there is definitely no cure for autism. I wish research would focus more on support instead of finding a cure which they will never find.
Oh and Maizie's special qualities - everything.
CJ xx
I must see this! There is a character on Grey's Anatomy who has Asperger's. I had high hopes until I watched the show.
She kept spouting facts - it was pretty Rainman.
Someday, right?
Thank you for this post. It is exactly what I needed to read!
Awesome post, thanks for sharing!
I found your blog and I can absolutely relate to your concerns and more to the point, guilt issues. I do lose patience from time to time with my 10 year-old aspie son. He is at times, very manipulative and has a propensity to lie. Right now, he is being assessed by his school and they're planning on administering an ADOS to determine his level of autism....with that information, they can better assist him in his education, which to this point, has been a nightmare for him.
Though I do relate, I also live in the real world and it's not a pretty place. There are no trophies for 9th place and he has to learn how to function in a very unforgiving and often cruel and hostile environment. Seeing this documentary made it all the more obvious to me what my role is here. I want him to know that I understand his world but he needs to grasp that he has to learn how to survive in a world that will often challenge what he finds to be comfortable and safe.
Seeing Flo and Kay being shuttled from pillar to post, seeing the profound and traumatic effect these abrupt changes had on them, should serve as ample warning to anyone with a high-functioning autistic child what can happen in the event of their caregiver's death. I never want for my son to be unable to adapt or function when faced with change. These two ladies are severely impaired by their affliction, but being hidden away as children and not socialized at all may have more to do with their inability to adapt. Being autistic is certainly a huge impediment to them both, but again, socialization was not practiced when they were children.
My son also experiences bullying at school, but instead of taking it out on these kids who just don't understand this child, I work with him identifying facial expressions and appropriate responses to more subtle social cues.
We can all only do so much. None of our children are the same or are experiencing the same levels of disability. My son is a somewhat mild case, but those areas where he struggles are what concern me. Seemingly devoid of common sense....10 years old and still doesn't look both ways before crossing a street, which means he can NEVER be outside playing without supervision. But I feel this can be overcome with repetition.
I wish you all the best and thanks for posting your blog for us to share your story as well as our own!
I watched Flo and Kay last night.I can truely say,I was so moved by them.I kinda felt a love for them.It was very interesting,yet where are they now?Too bad they don't have an email so people like us can write to them.Its so sad that their sister pasted and was moved around so much.Wish we could find out more about them.Good and bad issues.Where are they now?
I have Asperger's as does my youngest daughter...she's only 12 and not understanding of her diagnosis and she asked me what her special skill was...LOL. I explained that although the twins ARE autisic..being a savant is a seperate deal...
But yes, I watched the Flo and Kay show probably for the 5th time the other night. I would like to see if anyone has updates on them. Broke my heart after their sister died, her husband shipped them off to their brother...who's wife didn't want them...SHAMEFUL!
I have the show on DVR. It's great! I love that they call him "Dick Clark," even when addressing him.
Thank you for writing this.
My son is eight and autistic, and I have always let him be himself. I try to make society fit around him instead of the other way around. I am so grateful to know you wish you'd done that more, as I struggle every day with the immense worry that I am wrong.
Here he is on our neighbors' trampoline. And, no, we didn't have permission, but there was no stopping him.
Hi all,
I am sorry to burst your bubble, but what you saw in this documentary is not true. These girls are not autistic. Their mother had german measles when she was pregnant.. They are mentally retarded. They have been exploited because certain people want money. Adrienne, the woman who is depicted as the "wife" of the brother of these girls is actually the girlfriend. She has no legal obligation to take care of these girls, but took it upon herself to welcome them into her home thinking she was doing a good thing. Needless to say, this backfired. Whwn the girl's first came to NJ Adrienne did everything she could to make them feel welcome. Adrienne and I spent Saturday's shopping and going to dinner.Flo and Kay came with us, and Adrienne tried to include them in everything. This stopped when they started to complain to their brother, Tommy, about everything Adrienne did. Needless to say, Tommy spent no time with them at all. W The documentary is a lie. The mother did not try to kill them. She tried to kill herself because she had no support.Jane was a drug addict and killed herself to get away from them. They have caused Adrienne numerous medical problems, high blood pressure, a concussion and surgery on her foot. Flo and Kay have caused numerous problems between Adrienne and Tommy. They are not cute girls. They are evil and vindictive. I am witness to this. Please question me if you like.
As Adriennes"s
where is my coment? These girls aRE EVIL.
They are not autistic. EVIL TWINS!!I know them. They RE VERY BAD. Documentary is not what it seems.
Stumbled across your post today when searching for info on Flo and Kay. I only saw the last half of their story on TLC last night. I don't know how their mom or sister managed, even though both girls seem to be high functioning.
Autism runs such a broad spectrum that it is impossible to understand.
I have an autistic grandson, Jay, whom I love more than anything in this world. We get some questions and looks too on occasion.
Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment