Holiday Traditions and a Drug House
This weekend was fun and frustrating at the same time. Friday night I decided we were going to get our house ready for Christmas. Out came the ornaments and set around stuff. Maizie, as always was very excited. With each ornament Maizie said, "Did I make this mom? Who made this one? Is this one mine from when I was a baby? When can I be a baby again?" The questions never stopped.
While we were decorating the tree I heard some strange noises in between the houses. I opened the back door to find one of our neighbors trying to break into the electrical box to his apartment. He looked at me and said in his usual drug induced way, "I am just tightening things up back here! That's all." I smiled, nodded and closed the door.
Joe and I discussed that we thought he was going to get electrocuted and then he knocked on the door. Joe answered and he asked if we had a Philip's screwdriver. Joe said, "Sorry, we don't." Needless to say, we do but we don't want to get into the habit of handing out tools to the neighbors for illegal activities.
I peeked through the window blinds to see him pushing a screwdriver into the box and trying to pull the door off. I noticed a large lock had been placed on the bottom of the electrical box. Putting two and two together I realized our neighbor must not have paid the bill and was trying to turn his power back on. He was making some progress but the way he was haphazardly jamming the various tools he had into that box made me nervous.
I held my phone, staring at it and staring back out the window. Finally, I called the police and they had me stay on the line giving a description of our neighbor and waiting till the cop arrived. Once the police came our neighbor took off like a lightning bolt through the back yard and down the alley. The cop followed, flashlight in hand and gun out. Lovely.
I began running from window to window. A sight Maizie has unfortunately witnessed on many occasions. I heard the loud annoying squeak the neighbors door makes every time it is opened or closed and ran to the front. The man had already made it back to the safety of his apartment and the cop was still running in the wrong direction. Argh!
I called the police station back and told them that the guy went back into his apartment. The cop gets the message and came back huffing and puffing, knocking on the front door. It took quite a while for the guys to answer. Once they did I heard one of the men saying, "I swear! It was not me! I just got back from walking down from the liquor store." No doubt he was telling the truth since our neighbors like to begin drinking early in the morning and into the night. In fact, it seems that they don't require any sleep at all.
I heard tempers flaring and reluctantly peeked my head out the door. The cops turned to look at me and pointed to the man they were accusing of trying to break into the electrical box. I shook my head no and they reentered the apartment. They came out with the other guy and I nodded 'yes'. Not happy. Not happy at all. It is bad enough that I have to call the cops a few times a week on our neighbors but now our neighbors knew I had called this time. Not cool.
I have went out of my way to always say hello and treat my annoying and sometimes scary neighbors with the respect they want and I am sure verifying who was who did not please them. I only hoped that they were all too drunk and doped up on crack to remember me.
I went back in the house, reassured Maizie that it was over and we began decorating again. Maizie kept peeking out the front window waiting to see if the guy was going to be arrested. Maizie is all too familiar with the process. Finally she yelled, "There is the cop mom!" I ran back to the window and saw that they were indeed arresting the man. That surprised me.
I heard the cops back at the electrical boxes talking so I went out to see if there was anything new they could tell me about our drug house next door.
One of the cops looked up and said, "Now, if you hear anything else tonight or need anything please don't hesitate to call. We are arresting him but he will be out in a few hours. (I sighed real big.) Also, you may want to call narcotics again."
I explained how many times I have called narcotics and nothing seems to be happening.
The cops explained that there are undercover cops working on the situation in unmarked cars and that it takes a great deal of time. Yes, it certainly must.
I told the cops that sometimes I have felt bad calling because I know the neighbors are struggling on a number of levels....financially, with severe addictions, etc. I asked them if I could be imagining the drug use? The cops brought up the incident last week where they were called because a man on crack cocaine had beat up a woman he was with. I nodded my head since I had talked to that woman on that night as well. She said this to me when I went out to my car, "I am trying so hard. So hard to be clean and just be a good person. I have been off crack for seven days, I loved this guy and thought he loved me and then he does this to me." I nodded and found myself at a loss for words. I said, "Don't give up. Whatever you do....just keep trying." I quickly went back into the house not waiting for a response.
The cops went on to say, "Just remember that if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck it is probably a duck."
Okay. We just gotta find a way to move out of this house at some point. Our neighborhood is historic and beautiful, there are some really good people here and yet there are some people who are very desperate and don't want to live according to the rules of society. What more can I do? There seems to be nothing. I just get so frustrated and angry. I called the landlord again. He lives in a nice house outside of the down town area and could care less. I make a point of calling him whenever I call the cops. He never answers.
The next night we had my mom over for her birthday. The whole family was here and it was a very nice time. I know my parents worry about us living here. They are glad to have us back in Indiana but are not happy we live in this house next to that house. Yes, buying this house was not the best decision we have ever made. We moved to this modest house when we had no insurance coverage for Maizie. Her medications and hospital stays were being refused and mental coverage was being dropped. Debt was piling quickly and we freaked, scaling way down. So, we are stuck here for right now.
What will Maizie remember of these nights decorating for Christmas? The frequent incidents with our neighbors or the meaning behind every ornament she hangs?
I shake it off and we make the best of our cozy little cottage house.



17 comments:
It is so awesome that you try not to judge them. I hope you get out of there soon though. :/
It must be difficult to be surrounded by a situation you can't control. I'm sure what Maizie will remember most about these times will be the love of her family. {hugs}
Maizie will remember the fun she has with you and Joe, and the love. I hope you are able to find relief from your neighbors soon.
i like the little cozy cottage house, i do! it makes me warm and fuzzy. i miss it :) enjoy it's simplicity while you have it, i suppose. you won't be there forever. with bigger house comes more crap to do as you well know :)
ey, you did what you had to do to create a safety net for your family. Things will change with time. I think Maizie will remember more about the ornaments thqan the specific details of the neighbors. But, my parents lived in a terrible, rat infested tenement while my dad was in medical school. It was awful then but they look back now and remember how much love and commitment they shared to survive those days. You will all look back on this one day and smile.
I love how your really try to understand their struggles, but at the same time set limits about what you'll tolerate. I know it is easier said than done, but it might be time to move on. You've had so many good times and memories there, that is what Maizie will remember. However, when drugs are involved, especially on that level, it seems like more and more of a safety issue. You deserve to feel safe...and secure in your home. It doesn's seem like that factor is getting any better.
I hope you work out a solution, that works for all of you. I know you will.
XXXXXXX
I dont think it matters where you live - there is usualy something going on.
I can talk about it now as its over but for the last few months i have had undercover police using Cs bedroom (when hes away) to watch the flats opposite me. They couldnt tell me what was going on until yesterday when they raided the flats. There was a brothel! And i had no idea!
marla, I am filled with admiration for you. We should all aspire to your public-spirited courage. You were absolutely right to call the police, and Joe was right to refuse to lend him a tool.
I grew up living next to neighbours like that too. They were nice people actually, but they did and sold a lot of drugs. There were often fights and police and ambulances coming to the apartment building next door that they lived in. One night a group of their clients (or whatever they were), beat up a young woman that worked in a store nearby, and men from our neighbourhood had to storm out of their houses armed with baseball bats and whatever they had lying around to stop it, because it takes a while for the police to get there (and she could have been dead within that time).
I remember all that, but I don't think it worried me much. Probably scared my parents more.
You're nicer than me, though: I would have waited to see if the guy electrocuted himself, and only called the police if he didn't.
We've had a very similar situation. There is a sec. 8 house next door and the landlord doesn't screen anyone who moves in. The last people were decent, although I was always yelling at the little boy for hurting his animals, but the people before that were horrible. Domestic quarrels at all hours, the woman was abuse to her kids, drinking, foul language. At first I tried to be nice and help the woman but she had clearly been down this road before and knew what to say and do.... how to work the system. Nothing was her fault, she was just a victim, blah, blah, blah. Then we found out she was hooked on painkillers. The abuse to her children was so horrible that, at some point, I ran into the bathroom and wretched. All of us neighbors called the cops, children's services, anyone we could think of. I even went and talked to the principal of the local school. Eventually they moved, but I think about those kids a lot still and hope they are surviving in tact, somehow.
Tess still remembers all those times too. Mostly it opened her eyes to how fortunate she is to have a stable home. You and Joe are such great parents, I'm sure she'll only remember being surrounded by love.
Oh Marla, I am sorry. I understand your predicament. We have called Narcotics as well as the cops many times on our neighbors. But we also wave hello to them every time we see them and are very cordial to them. So far they have no idea that we are calling on them. I also feel bad for them, it's a mom and her daughter. But the daughter's friends are disgusting and her boyfriend is abusive. It's really a terrible situation. I also imagine it's one of the reasons the previous owners sold the house.
That was really irresponsible of the cop to point you out.
Wow! It makes me feel better to hear your stories as well.
I can't believe C's room was being used to watch a brothel! That is wild!
One thing I can say for sure...never a dull moment around here.
That's so scary! I'm glad the police did respond and encouraged you to keep calling. I really hope you guys are able to sell soon as well.
How scary. I hope your daughter remembers the fun of the decorations and not the events going on next door.
How scary. I'm sure Maizie will remember what was going on in her own house more than next door, but I don't blame you for wanting to move!
Oooh- we lived across the street from crackheads just before we switched school districts. It was eventually raided, and the people were forced to leave.
Although I had to forclose on my house, now is a great time to look at other properties.
woah. Scariest for me would be the strain of them knowing you call the cops on them. I am constantly reminded of how good we have it here.
Hope your holidays aren't disrupted too much by the mess next door. :o(
Post a Comment