Tween Music Every Day and I Love It!
Today we went to the dentist. Maizie had her teeth cleaned and did fantastic. I am so proud of her. She wears these big ol' sunglasses to keep out the "sun" as she calls it. I can't help put giggle when I see her lean back in the big banana chair with her sunglasses on. The dentist said everything is looking real good, no cavities. Yes! We do have to see an orthodontist by Spring though. I know...you have heard me say I needed to take her to see an orthodontist months ago. I have put it off. I don't want to pay for it and we are dealing with so many other medical issues it seems lower on the totem pole. But, by Spring we definitely have to go since her canine teeth are not coming down and worse they have no where to go even if they did want to come down. At least now I know for sure that her teeth are not the cause of any migraines. So, in the Spring we have to make a plan how to get those little fangs out!
Maizie has a new interest right now. She has always loved listening to music but now she has begun her very own collection. Currently, she is into Hannah Montana and The Cheetah Girls.
We agreed to purchase her these two CD's and I can not believe how much she enjoys listening to them. The lyric sheets are her favorite part. In the car she sings along with the music while reading the lyrics. Awesome! She bounces around the house "whisper singing" Hannah's songs. It is so cute. To be honest, I did not think we would reach this developmental milestone for a few more years. Suddenly, here she is...singing princess pop music. I must admit that I am beyond thrilled! It is kinda sad that she is growing up, but hey....she is growing up and showing an interest in a few of the things other girls her age enjoy! Very cool!
I was teasing her at dinner tonight...very mildly since she totally does not like being teased. She never has enjoyed teasing since she does not understand its subtleties. I was asking her to explain to me who Hanna Montana is and who Miley Cyrus is. Maizie explained it in only a way Maizie could. It was music to my ears. I wish I could have tape recorded her every word since it was just thrilling to hear her explaining something to me in such detail, confusing detail but detail nonetheless. I pretend I don't get that the alter ego of Miley Cyrus is Hannah Montana and she shakes her head in disgust and says, "Oh...mom...I will try and help you understand." Adorable. I then tried to explain to her that Miley Cyrus's real name is Destiny Hope. Woah there Marla! Slow down! Maizie was not happy when I said that. Okay! Okay!
A DVD came with the Hannah CD and Maizie was watching it with awe. When Miley began performing Maizie said, "Why is everyone gathering around her and being so excited?" The discussion of fame and fans was a very difficult concept to explain. As Maizie watched the crowds jumping up and down yelling I could tell she was thinking, "Why are all those people screaming at her?" We may be a ways off before we could attend a tween music concert. Or like everything else...I may be totally surprised.



20 comments:
I loved reading that post! I found myself smiling the whole time and I'm not sure why. Perhaps Maizie can explain to me the Miley/Hannah concept because I haven't followed that tween. Hope you're having a good day!
I understand your feeling. Our son is starting to notice teen music and disney teen shows. He like Drake and Josh. Our son also struggles with subtle social cues, but these shows seem to exagerate them enough for him to get a hint of the social situation.
Thanks for the blogroll honor. I will be updating soon and you will be there.
Charlie's going to the dentist this Friday so this post is very inspiring! I'm not sure what Charlie would think of Hanna Montana but I'd be more than glad to hear Maizie's explanation.
I never really "got" teasing or fame, either...Maizie is definitely not alone there! It's awesome that you are sensitive to the teasing thing, though -- when I was growing up, various well-meaning people sometimes teased me relentlessly, trying to "toughen me up" or "show" me that it wasn't really meanness, but I simply could not understand that concept and the memories of being teased like that are still very confusing.
No, I still think a tween concert is a ways off - my comments at that age is, "If people are paying to listen to the music, why do they keep making so much noise?"
Congrats on Maizie's trip to the dentist - success!
And I am glad she is liking her music and lyric sheets (maybe a simple note sheet for the piano?)
bummer about the extraction of teeth though - sigh.
we'd very much like to attend a Hannah Montana concert too, but I can't afford the tickets!
Side note - anyone else think it looks like Billy Ray Cyrus has had some work done?
I see that Hannah Montana is going to be in concert....at movie theatres.. . Don't know if this will work for Maizie or not....
Glad to hear Maizie survived the dentist!
And how sweet with the Hanna Montana interest... and how grown up!!!
Kelly-You have a ways before you get to enjoy all the tween stuff! This post probably reminded you of Melissa and you rocking out to some cheesy boy band! Ha! I am not sure what you guys were into back then?! Not that it was even that long ago!
Dad Stuff-I do think those shows like Drake and Josh help with Maizie's communication skills too. Glad I am not the only one encouraging my kid to watch them!;)
Kristina-Good luck at the dentist! I thought of you while we were there knowing Charlie struggles a bit with the dentist too. M refused to even sit in the chair until she was six or so. It takes time for them to feel comftorable there. Good luck!
Annec-Good, I am glad pushing the teasing thing is good to avoid. We do hang around some people that try endlessly to tease her. Sometimes we have to be blunt and ask them to stop. I try and explain why and some get it and some don't.
Eliz-Good idea about the sheet music! Maybe some day we will make one of those concerts. I have a feeling Miley Cyrus will be around a long time so we may have a chance to see her as time goes on. Wahoo! (I am half excited here and half thinking,Ugh!)
Jerry-We have not even looked into seeing her. Are the tickets outrageous? That is a bummer considering most of the fan base is little kids. I agree about Billy! I think he had some work done. Especially when you see the Hanna show. Hmmmm....oh, well...he looks pretty good.
Elissa-Yes! I love that she is growing up but too fast! I miss her chubby baby cheeks!
Oh this is really lovely, so much good stuff in this post. With each new milestone we shed a tear for the bits we leave behind. I love how you embrace Maizie's growing up, her interests, and all her challenges. How lucky Maizie is to have you on her side, to share her moments and to cheer her on.
Sara loves watching Hannah Montana and now TC does too!
Can Maizie come hang out with Miss M? Really? Because they can listen to "Pumping Up the Party" and "We're All in this Together" and whatever else is on those recordings.
Nice little milestone. I know what you mean. I feel the same way when Miss M does her own hair and sneaks on lipgloss - and oh, the other day? She and her friend were caught in the cabinet trying to filch a piece of candy. And she tried to cover. We pretended to discipline her, but frankly, were thrilled that she was approaching a new phase of development.
Keep on rockin'.
Glad to hear Maizie did so well at the dentist. That chair and those glasses sound very cool. I remember getting J through a dental appointment was hard. Now, with our new dentist, he does so much better.
J really discovered music this past year. Much of that has to do with Y. She has so many songs downloaded to the computer that she shares with him. His favorite band is Three Days Grace. He keeps asking me when he gets to see them in concert. I don't know when I'm ready to tackle that one. He may have the same reaction Maizie did when she watched the Hannah CD.
It's great that you were able to talk about music and Hannah the way you did.
So glad to hear the dentist went well. I was at the dentist for my own cleaning and was amazed at how well DS does, considering I, myself, hate it. And he has had major work done.
He had braces this year, and it was traumatic and painful. But, the part he remembers as being the worst was getting the molds done; he said it felt like he couldn't breathe. Just a heads up, because I didn't expect that at all.
I love the teeny-bopper info, although honestly, I couldn't follow it at all. :-)
glad the dentist trip went well.
great post, it has brought back many happy memories of when my son was younger and the Spice Girls were the love of his life!
Amy is into Hannah Montana too. I haven't watched it all the way through but it looks okay and harmless enough.
It is such a wonderful achievement for Maizie to be making this progress and it must be incredible for you to witness.
Crystal xx
this post made me feel so giggly and happy! yay for Maizie and her cleeean teeth and her tween tunes!!
That's great about the music, and I think it's wonderful that you encourage her interest in it, and that you learn about it as well, so you guys can talk about it. I always liked when my parents took an interest in whatever I was into when I was young.
What an uplifting and fun post. Our house is over run with Hannah Montana, High School Musical, Cheetah Girls, etc. It must be so much fun to see her loving the tween music scene. I bet a concert is closer than you think.
I actually took the girls to a Cheetah Girls Concert several months ago. It was crazy, but in a fun way. They all wore their Cheetah clothing. I sang along with them. Melanie insisted she was not going, she was too cool. She ended up going and having fun. It was VERY loud and a bit overstimulating thou, tons of lights and huge video screens. I think watching and singing from home is a good idea for now.
Glad the dentist appointment went well. We finally had to give in and do the whole orthodonist thing with Melanie. She just got her braces off last month. It was not as bad as I thought, although she refused to wear the rubber bands. Luckily we had a great guy, who undertood sensory issues, and worked around it.
Thanks so much for your very kind and supportive comments. It meant more than you know.
XOXO
Congrats on the no cavities! : )
That whole conversation at dinner was just so cute! I pretend not to get things too, because exasperated kiddo explanations are just too adorable : )
Wonderful comments! Today Maizie watched the CMT channel for much of the afternoon. She loves country music! It does not come from me!
Post a Comment