Friday, February 29, 2008

Walking the Line Between Discipline and Depression

Nothing much has changed with little miss Maizie. I have a call into the neurologist to discuss what to do. It is possible we will have to try medication number two.

Whenever she is sleeping...which is the best way to get over the migraine (CVS) all I want to do is curl up on the couch and sleep near her. This is what she looked like this morning.The house is dark and quiet and there is not too much for me to do. Okay, sure I could reorganize stuff, clean or play on the computer but that stuff gets boring. What I really want is for Maizie to be up, playing and happy....so I get depressed and just want to sleep until she gets up. It is a bad habit to be in. Or maybe it is a coping mechanism and an okay way to handle an ongoing situation that I can not change?

Yesterday was a stressful day. My nephew who has been stuggling in school is still not doing well. His depression is getting the best of him. His mom will call the doctor today and he will be seen soon.

I took Maizie over to play with Christian yesterday while Marie took my nephew to his school to clean out his locker. While he was there I removed the computer from their house. This will be the second time the computer has been removed due to his obsession with all things Pokemon...especially the posting boards. It is not the Pokemon we have the problem with. It is that Pokemon is his life. Invitations to play with friends are refused. Homework is deemed a waste of time when there are boards to post on. He is an addict. A slave to the ongoing discussions and debates regarding Pokemon, the moderators on the site and what topics should be discussed.

Most of his computer history had been erased despite me warning him never to erase it. He forgot to erase yesterdays though and I was able to see and read the posts. Not pretty. The computer was returned a week ago for school use only. Marie requested that if he did not follow the rules set up for completing his homework on the computer we would remove it. Apparently, she hesitated to call me when he was repeatedly locking her out of her own bedroom to get in his Pokemon posts. I did not take this lightly and not only removed the computer but requested permission to remove the door knobs as well. Things did not go well when Daniel returned home from cleaning out his locker. It was like watching a meth addict screaming for a hit. He became totally obsessed with me returning the door knob to the bathroom that he never uses. I think it was beyond his comprehension that we followed through with removing the computer. It was too painful for him to comprehend. I took the computer and knobs back to my house. Not fifteen minutes had passed when my sister called me up crying and begging me to bring the door knob to the bathroom back. I was not pleased. My sister talks big but when the pressure is turned on from her son she crumbles. It is easier to let him play the game(take the drug that is his Pokemon)then it is to listen to him nag, cry and scream for hours on end. I can see where she would crumble. I was able to leave the house. She had to stay and be followed around by a tantruming thirteen year old. Not pretty.

Once home the phone calls began. First it was my nephew begging me for the door knob back to the bathroom he never uses. Begging does not begin to describe it. It was more like listening to a cat screaming. Suddenly he realized that he wanted to use the bathroom he never uses and stop taking over his mother's bathroom (which we agreed he could still use, and still had a lock on it). The whole argument made no sense at all. The bottom line was he knew since Joe and I took the computer that he was screwed. We don't back down like his Grandparents did three days after taking the computer away. They were overwhelmed with his constant requests to go to their house and use the computer for "homework". Since he was not constantly observed we realized he was really playing online...again. His computer will be here for a long long time and he knows it. There will be no computer until his grades begin to make the slow climb back up, he must treat his mother and little brother with some respect and most importantly he has to stop lying about almost everything.

It is a fine line to walk between discipline and depression. Possibly even OCD. Our family has always agreed though that even with depression you don't lock your mother out of her own room and scream at her for hours on end. Fortunately my nephew has not only his mother to deal with but he has Grandparents and two sets of Aunts and Uncles who are not willing to back down...who are not willing to let him be sucked into a world of online addiction. He even went out on a limb and called my little sister Meljo in Guilford. To his amazement Melissa stood behind me and the removal of the computer and door knobs. Of course he does not see this as a positive thing. He knows how to manipulate his mother who has a disability...a huge stress on its own for a child to deal with. I know...I grew up with my sister and she is wonderful and amazing but she struggles and so we all dance along a bizzare line of having to help out and yet not wanting to take over her life. You watch and wait....if she can't handle certain aspects of parenting what do you do? There is much more to this topic than I care to explain here. The family dynamics are complex but the bottom line is we all love my nephew and are trying to work together to help him.

The school is not following through on what they said they were going to do. No surprise to me. It is unfortunate that he will probably fall out of the gifted and talented program by fall. A school counselor encouraged us to keep the computer in the home so he could earn one hour a night online. I was against it but at their request we followed through. Lets just say that backfired as I figured it would. My ongoing concern is that he have something positive to replace this computer obsession with. At this point he is so furious he just screams, "There is nothing else to do!"

Maizie becomes quite stressed when the discussion of my nephew comes up. She has always said, "We are not getting along so much now." Despite being only three years apart it as if they are light years apart. Maizie has lost many priveldges in her ten years despite being Autistic and chronically ill. We have removed her toys for months at a time as she earned them back through increasingly good behavior. At one very low point she had nothing but a bed in her room. Looking back I always worried we did the wrong thing in removing her toys and making her work to get them back. But, now when we discuss what is going on with my nephew she remembers those three very tough times, shakes her head and says,"I had to follow the rules. It is better now." That was at a time when Maizie was very abusive and we were trying to figure out what was beyond her control and what she needed to be disciplined for.

After agonizing we decided to discipline "as if" she understood that hitting was wrong. It was hard to know because her communication was not strong and she struggled in all areas of development. I don't know if it was the strict "earning back of toys" that we began or if it was just time and development that helped. I guess we will never know. I do think it says something since Maizie can remember her toys being packed away and knows that was a result of "not following the rules". Maizie also knows that when we say something will happen if she chooses to do 'blank and blank', it will. If she misbehaves she pays a price. My nephew has rarely experienced that. As he gets older the misbehavior has a stronger impact on those around him and his mom has been pushed to make changes. This will be a long and difficult process.

This morning I woke up feeling so guilty for taking the computer and the door knobs despite his mother's agreement and request for help. I called Marie and asked her if she was mad. She said she knows it has to be done but yet she began crying again and we discussed replacing the bathroom door knob. I agreed to replace it today. It is really not that big of a deal. My only concern is Daniel removing it and placing it on his mother's bedroom door. I guess we will deal with that if it happens.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I'm jsut having a lot of trouble wrapping my mind around this. You're worried he's going to remmove the doorknob off of the bathroom in order to lock his mother in? If so, you're right, there's lots of issue, way more than my comment can address.

I think you did the right thing in removing the computer and the doorknob. James didn't get to use his bathroom anymore just because he was such a pig (and I didn't have to remove any doorknobs either). Slowly, I'm teaching how to keep it clean (a reasonable amount for his age) so he can earn his own bathroom back.

Children are not allowed to terrorize their parents.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this on top of everything else.

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

what a horrible addiction to have. I find it interesting what our children use to tune out the real world.

Angie said...

Marla,
You amaze me the way you are there for your sister and nephew when there are so many things going on in your own home. From all I've read on your blog, it seems you have an awesome family that can lean on one another during difficult times. That is very special! Take care. Thinking of you.

Marla said...

He would put the doorknob back on the bedroom door in order to lock his mother out so he can play the computer in her room. I doubt he would do that so I am returning the bathroom knob. His mood seems better today so that is good. It will take time before he remembers what else there is to do in life besides the computer.

Niksmom said...

Marla, your ister is lucky to have you around to help her out and to help her stand firm on this issue with her son. It's a tough one that can get waaaay worse if you don't nip it. Good luck.

I hope Maizie is having a good night tonight, too. :-)

floating in space said...

This is a really tough situation. Your nephew is fortunate to have such a caring family.

Katrin said...

Just in case, on his mother's computer can you block (through a fire wall or what not) the sites that he frequents, so that he quite literally cannot get to them, or does he have enough computer know how to hack through such a thing?

best of luck. Sorry to hear that you folks are all going through this.

Melissa Jo said...

oh the drama! thank god you live near them to help out and be stern! i told D that i knew you wished you could be "the cool" aunt, and would rather have fun, etc, but because you love him, you HAVE to give him these boundaries. i think he understands that, and in a few years he'll be grateful for you stepping in. i know the rest of the family is :) especiallywith all you have on your plate! you need a serious vacation!

Drama Mama said...

Maizie is so lucky to have such a good mom. Your sister is lucky to have such a good sister.


I totally get the distraction. What's bothering him? Any way to get the family into therapy?

Sending love and good thoughts to you all.

Club 166 said...

Oh, Marla.

That's a lot of old doorknobs there.

I am in awe of your strength during these trying times.

You go, girl.

Joe

Marla said...

You are all so kind. You keep me going and right now I must say I am dragging. Thank you for all of your support and mentions on the blogosphere lately. All are appreciated.

The old door knob photo was taken in a New York City store. I don't remember the name now but it was in The Village. I took tons of photos in there.

kristina said...

It never rains but it pours....... I can see why all these measures need to be taken for your nephew, sometimes it's all too much, no?

(Sorry I am not able to say more----wondering if there's a way to set up some sort of "visual plan" for your nephew so he can very readily grasp the relation between sneaking in time on Pokemon message boards and use of his computer....)

michele_k said...

I've been through the computer issue with Y a couple of years ago. Not to the level your sister is dealing with her son, but I remember how hard it was. To this day Y has very strict restrictions on the computer. Tell your sister to hang in there and continue to be a support to her.

It's too bad this has affected Maizie when she says they're not getting along so much at the moment. It never ceases to amaze me what all kids can pick up on. Even with her not feeling well she's thinking about her cousin.

Stay strong and I hope things can begin to get better with the situation.

DJ Kirkby said...

Daniel is an Aspie for sure, eh? Poor Marla, nice place to be under that blanket I bet.

Anonymous said...

Marla,
Big, big ((((HUGS))). I think it is wonderful what you are trying to do for your sister and nephew. Taking the computer at this point, is the only way, and he has to know that you are serious. He is going to test, big time, and as you know it is going to get worse before it will get better. It is the best approach for something like this, the online addictions for children esp., can become their whole world. He needs to come back to the real world, and with the loving support of the family he has (even if he doesn't feel it now). This time is the hardest, but if you all hang tough now, it will get easier. Like any new behaviour modification plan, the behaviors always get worse at the begining, the child tests, tests and tests, trying to stop the plan. Much luck to you, but you are 100% right. Having a sister, who also had a disability, I know that fine line you walk, not wanting to take over, but yet wanting the right think to happen. A very tough situation. She is lucky to have you and such a supportive family.

I hope Maize gets some relief soon. How can it now be depressing for you. When our children are hurting, we hurt. Nothing can bring us to our knees faster than our children hurting. We have to be strong for them, but inside we are torn up. Sleeping is OK, it probably gives you the engery you need right now.

If you ever need to "talk", I'm here.

Take care your yourself.
XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Oh, Marla... I'm so sorry you have so much on your plate. It's tough enough just dealing with your own home and circumstances, and then to throw extended family issues into the mix... wow. Make sure you have a routine set up for dedicated time to yourself each week, and don't break the date for anything.

And I know what you mean about the link between depression and CVS. I struggle with it too. I think it's because it's such a painful thing to watch your child endure. Watching the lights go out in my daughter's eyes when and episode hits just sucks the life out of me and it is so hard to find the strength to do anything but just curl up next to her and cry myself to sleep at her side. I hope this episode is a short one for M. Saying a prayer for you both!

Anonymous said...

that is so hard! i applaud you for being a support to your sister and your nephew and your sweet maizie. sending good thoughts and prayers your way, as always.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing that your nephew is on the autism spectrum as well? My daughter is 12 and a half and Deaf and autistic and puberty+autism has just about killed us.

Anonymous said...

Sending you hugs and more hugs... stay strong xx

Marla said...

Greebly-Wow, you have your hands full. Thank you for visiting and I hope you come back soon.

My nephew continues to struggle. He will be seeing a neurologist soon. The doctor must think something more is going on and I agree. He is not Autistic or Aspergers. I find it very interesting that many of you thought that he was. Yes, that makes me think a bit. I made the mistake of telling my mom this and she became quite upset with me. I can see why. I should have kept my mouth shut. She used to read my blog but I have a feeling with all of this going on she rather not.

My family however is not wanting to hear that there may be something more going on. I can't say that I blame them. I don't want to accept it either.

It is really hard for me to sit back and watch and not intervene. And yet, I have to set boundaries because my nephew is not my child. But, my sister is disabled and can use some extra help. Her willingness to thankfully accept help however is not always there. Everything is a struggle. I do think she is angry I removed the computer despite her agreeing to it. I can see the frustration. My nephew is not a joy to be with right now.

I see we all have lots of extended family issues. That is life, I suppose. It is extra hard when you have a special needs child and want to help your family too. Especially with Maizie being sick every day. The logistics of that are nearly impossible.