Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Homeschooling Turns to Unschooling

Joe and I are sitting around watching the polls. We went as a family to vote today. How sweet is that? ;)

Explaining politics to Maizie is a challenge. We spent a while finding words that she did not mix up with other meanings. I said, "Voting will determine who gets to run for president of the United States." Maizie looked up excitedly and said, "Where are they running to?"

I think we are officially unschoolers. I am not a hundred percent sure but almost. Maizie is just now going to bed. It is after eleven. No amount of coercion could tear her away from her dinosaur dig. It is really no big deal because she can sleep in tomorrow. Maizie was in the mood to work and if she has the energy I certainly don't want to stop her.

Worksheets or workbooks are out of the question right now. I remind myself that Maizie goes in spurts and I try not to panic. Growing up in traditional schooling makes me think the more completed worksheets the better. I know. I know. It really is ridiculous to think that worksheet quantity has anything to do with real learning. She will do more worksheets than I can keep up with and then refuse.

Tutoring has been on hold since the CVS kicked in after Christmas. Maizie has learned more math from Webkinz games than we have managed to teach her in months. Math is a major challenge for her and I am learning to be patient. I catch her using math and testing things out in unique playful ways. We need to be patient for her to develop in this area. I can see where we have pushed her heavily in math and it backfires. My patience level is constantly being tested. I am forced to slow way down every day. For me, this can be torture.

I suppose her math struggles tie in with understanding the concept of time. Her frustrations with understanding days, hours and when tomorrow is never seems to get any better. I create calendars and lists and she gets frustrated and refuses to use them. I suppose it is time to try again.

A self directed method of learning is definitely taking place here. When opportunities arise and she shows an interest we go for it. Hands on is key for Maizie.

It has helped that I don't compare her to other children as much anymore. Notice I say, 'as much'. I still need work in this area. We focus more on strengths and less on weaknesses. It seems by doing so she is catching up in little by little in other areas. There are nights where I lack sleep wondering if she will ever be able to understand when 'tomorrow' is, how to tell time or do simple addition. But, I am feeling more at peace with the not knowing.

What good does it do spending hours forcing math when it seems to cause her self esteem to plummet? Since we have backed off and went about learning math in a very relaxed way she is slowly showing more of an interest and less of a fear. We may return to tutoring but go about it in a different way. Lucky for me her tutor is always into trying new techniques and so am I. The most important goal I have for Maizie is to encourage the love of learning. In public school we watched as her interest was slowly squelched. It has taken a long time for Maizie to understand the freedom that she has in her learning process now. Even longer for me to accept that her way of learning is acceptable. Once again this has required me to give up some of my over controlling nature. My words can not express how difficult that is. The rewards and lessons I am learning are awesome. I am only now beginning to understand. Who is teaching who here?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marla,
(((HUGS))) I admire you for doing what I should have done with my 16 year old. I needed to listen to that voice inside me, and her voice, that was telling me traditional education was not the right path. I think when we have children, with special needs, who have different learning styles, we have to be flexible and think outside the box. That is exactly what you are doing. You offer her so much enrichment, just with your everyday things, she is getting it, and when she is feeling better, the tutor can help. At our school the teachers are encouraged NOT to use worksheets. Hands on learning, when she seems motivated sounds like the best plan for now.
XOXOXO

kristina said...

"Even longer for me to accept that her way of learning is acceptable."

An arduous struggle for me to learn this too---from my little (now big guy) teacher.

Anonymous said...

Trouble learning maths and mathematical concepts in general, and also trouble telling time and being able get the concept of it are signs of dyscalculia.

In this area I recognise myself in Maizie. I can tell time, but still have trouble timing things and have no sense of time, no grasp of the concept, how much passes, how long is ten minutes, etc. I keep telling people I'll be back in a bout 15 minutes, and it turns out to be an hour, or 2 minutes. I can't calculate train arrival and departure times and such on my own reliably, with or without a calculator (thank goodness for online schedulers and planners or I'd always be ridiculously late or early).
When I was young it took me years to come to grips with the fact that someone can have their birthday earlier in the year than me, but still be younger than me :D.

If I pay for things I use my bank card, or if cash: pay what is bound to be too much, then trust people will give me backthe right amount.
I have to say I don't have much difficulties in day to day life with maths skills this poor, and there are many jobs out there where you won't need to do maths either, or at least, no more than I can do, which is pretty... low level maths. Beyond low level. I can try my hand at 1+1 and end up with 4. Telling time is pretty essential to my life, though.

Anonymous said...

Marla, I really feel for you here. I think you are right to assume that Maizie needs to show you the way, yet, obviously, there are certain educational goals you want her to meet. I think it's amazing to see how much trust she has in you and Joe and how much faith you both have in her. As parents, very often we have to confront the idea that not everything is on our terms. Our kids don't always move forward at the pace we would like.

The truth is, you are doing such an amazing job for her. I admire your decision to homeschool and to honor Maizie's need for flexibility within the homeschool formula.

Great work, all around, wouldn't you say?

Niksmom said...

Well, I'd have to say that I think you are both teaching each other. Perhaps not the things you thought you would teach but teaching none the less. And we are all benefiting in the process. :-)

Club 166 said...

That dinosaur dig looks really fun!

Glad to hear that things are going fairly well.

Joe

Anonymous said...

It's so hard, isn't it? Knowing when to push, when not to, knowing if you're doing "the right thing," having *all* the responsibilty?

I am trying to explain to James about the election as well.

"So, are you old enough to vote?"
"Yes."
"You're older than 18, by how many years?"
"What do you think?"
"1"

Yeah, math around here is just fine :-).

Ashley's Mom said...

It's so interesting you wrote about this today. On my way to work today, I was formulating a blog on a very similar topic. I'll post it on Friday and we can compare notes!

VAB said...

I think you have the right approach. You are not pushing, but you are keeping the learning opportunities available. Things may fall into place to make it easier for Maizie at any time. But if you push to hard before she's ready, you will get nowhere.

Christine said...

OK, I've lurked enough :-) I've been reading your blog for awhile but haven't commented before. I have an almost six year old son with autism whom I have decided to homeschool. I am taking this year off to do my research and find my way. I was really, really worried about the academic part of it - my son has such challenges, how can I also teach him academics? But recently I've just decided to let go of all that and teach him as he is able. In the end, the math and the reading and stuff matter but probably not so much as fostering a love of learning. It is SO hard to follow your child's lead and forget about expectations so I really admire you for coming to this conclusion. I hope this is something I can keep constantly in my mind in the years to come.

Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

One of the things I've learned after being a mother is....
Our kids are also our teachers :)
As much as they're learning from us, we too are learning from them and about them.

Happy Mother's Day Marla!!

floating in space said...

You are doing an amazing job with Maizie. The things you are doing with her are far more valuable and educational than workbooks and worksheets.

Angie said...

I wasn't prepared to unschool, but now that we took the plunge, I'm not looking back. I was nervous recently because my aunt was coming to stay with us for a week and I know she's not a hundred percent sure of homeschooling, so I was a little nervous. All turned out well as she was thoroughly impressed with my kids knowledge and skills she witnessed as she spent the week listening to, watching and playing with them. I know she was also floored by their good manners and how loving they are towards each other and everyone else. She only asked me once what school the kids would go to if they went to school.;) I think she was startled by my response because I mentioned three different schools in the area and cited the reasons we like these schools. I think she was expecting a negative response.

I'm so glad you and Joe voted Tuesday! What an exciting night! We've always taken the kids to vote with us because I don't ever want them to feel intimidated about voting. I was scared to death the first time I voted just because I didn't know where to go, what to do or what to expect.

kristi said...

Maizie seems to be doing amazingly well!!

Anonymous said...

This is such a great post, Marla! I may be coming to you for advice soon. We start homeschooling this fall, and you had some wonderful insight in this post. You're doing a great job of motivating M in her strengths -- I love seeing her smile :)

DJ Kirkby said...

I really admire you for home schooling Mazie, I admire all the people who home school others. I am certain I would find that way too challenging! That dinosaur dig looks fab, I am going to buy one for N3S and tuck it away till Christmas when he should be ready to do it. I am not keen on that pic of you at the kissing tree, it really spooks me for some reason.