Moving At A Snails Pace with Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome
Last night I threw some lettuce and carrots in for our snails and found myself staring at them for over an hour and a half. Either I really am that tired, there was nothing on television, or my little friends were helping me relax. I had no idea time was passing. I found myself saying things out loud like, "Oh...my...God! That is so weird." "What the hell is that?"
Just when I was starting to adjust to Maizie being out of the cyclical vomiting cycle it hit again. Last week she had one day where it hit. Yesterday it happened in the morning but she seemed fine by one in the afternoon. I had a meeting at church and Chloe was wanting to have Maizie over to play so I was happy to oblige. Susie is feeling a bit better after her surgery and was certain she was able to watch Maizie. About forty minutes after I left Susie called and told me Maizie was sweating, out of it and in a lot of pain. Big sigh. Two episodes in a day was not a good sign. I always leave Maizie with her Kytril and Zofran. Susie is great with Maizie. She gave her the medications and assured me it was okay to finish the meeting.
When I returned Maizie was perking up. Chloe was about at her witts end having to wait for so long to play with Maizie. Finally, the girls played. I enjoyed pizza and hanging out with Tim and Susie. With Joe off in California it was so nice to visit with friends. I was beyond surprised when I looked at the clock and saw it was almost eight at night when we left. When the CVS strikes everything slows down to a snails pace.
This morning I was hopeful when we reached ten and there was no sign of the CVS monster. Within minutes of feeling this hope Maizie looked at me and said, "I am sorry to say this. My belly hurts." Sigh.
The pain Maizie had today was intense. I called the neurologist and she increased her Topamax by starting a morning dose. Yes, we are still trying the Topamax. It seems that we are having some success with it since she is not vomiting as much with the spells and they have been less frequent. I really don't know for sure if it is the medication helping.
By four o'clock today Maizie began feeling better and wanted to leave the house. We headed off to the dog park. It feels as if Maizie and me are moving in slow motion. We get a little bit ahead and make it to the surface...enjoy some deep and wonderful breaths and then fall back to the bottom again. It reminds me of the snails slowly making their way around the tank. At the top they take in air and without notice they quickly float to the bottom again. But, I will say they do so with beauty and grace. And so we try to do the same.
“In philosophy if you aren't moving at a snail's pace you aren't moving at all.”
Iris Murdoch (British Novelist and Philosopher, 1919-1999)
"Time sometimes flies like a bird, sometimes crawls like a snail; but a man is happiest when he does not even notice whether it passes swiftly or slowly."
Ivan Turgenev (Russian author, 1818-1883)



14 comments:
Sorry to hear this, I hope you both feel better asap BG x
I hope Maize starts feeling well again. I didn't know you had snails. I used to have them in my classroom. They are mezmerizing to watch. Thanks so much for the link to the store! You rock! Hope to see you tomorrow at the Expo.
I'm so sorry it's hit agin. I hope the Topomax is helping and that incresing it will help. Good luck.
Poor Maizie, feeling apologetic when her tummy hurts. But this is a beautiful post, and your pictures are lovely.
Aw, sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear it's flaring up again! You know I TOTALLY get it...sigh.
I have to tell you, Marla, the photographs of the snails are amazing. They look so beautiful...and I think snails are gross! That's the mark of a true artist...you can find and share the beauty in things so many of us find repugnant.
And you are, indeed, handling this with such grace; you inspire me.
I'm sorry it's back. I hope she feels better soon.
Those snail pics are amazing, I had to skim over the bits about Mazie feeling ill *shudder, shudder* and I truely hope she is better soon!
Sorry to hear this is happening, Marla.
Your analogy with the snails really fits though, and your photos are beautiful.
Love to both you and Maizie xx
Poor Maizie. I'm so sorry. Glad she's feeling better now.
Sometimes taking things at a snails pace is OK. : )
Hi Marla~
I'm sorry that your alone time got cut short the other day. It was sad to see Maizie suffering, but it also helped me to understand how upsetting this is for you to watch her go through...over and over again.
Susie
This is a gorgeous and wise post----the snails and watching them: it's quite an analogy.
i'm sorry she's not feeling well again. i acan't imagine the frustration of just never knowing what the day will be like and never being able to firm up any real plan for the day. hang in tthere!
This is a beautiful post, Marla -- and I identify with it so deeply. It's so hard when those episodes hit again, I know. Know that we're praying for you and M.
Post a Comment