The Painted Lady Larvae Arrive!
After waiting for what seemed like an eternity Maizie finally received her Painted Lady Larvae in the mail. The mailman knocked on the door this morning while Maizie was trying to take her mid morning nap. I knew if she saw the box she would be overly excited which would lead to putting off the nap which would cause a long cranky day ahead. So, I casually hid the box behind me and put it up on a shelf where she would not see it.
Several hours later I took down the box and saw that it said, "Live Butterflies...Open Immediately". Oooops! I opened the box thinking I must have killed those little larvae but then the more I thought about it I figured they were probably fine. And they were.
Maizie was beyond excited to read the directions on caring for these little critters. The directions made it very clear not to disturb the larvae. Maizie said all concerned like, "Mom. What would happen if I just sneak up on them and put my eyes close to them like this?" "What would happen if I just touch the cup?" "What would happen if I hold the cup like this?"
It was too cute. At bedtime she gently set her new friends on her bedside table and included them in her night time prayer, "Dear God, Please let my larvae sleep through the night. I love you. Amen."



18 comments:
Awwww! Mazie's questions made my heart swell, she sounds sooooo much like N3S!
Oooh, Maizie looks so excited!
I can't wait to hear more about the Painted Lady Larvae!
xx
The speech therapist that I observed had butterfly larvae and plastic models of each stage of development, and the kids would tell her how the larvae becomes a butterfly to work on their narrative sequencing and memory skills. She had ladybugs and worms too, and the kids really enjoyed them. I'm glad that you got some for Maizie and that she is feeling well enough to enjoy them; her prayer is too cute!
I love that she included them in her prayers. What a sweetie!
My youngest son has a deep appreciation for the ridiculous. When we got our larvae he asked, "What if I put them in the blender? In a centrifuge? What happens if I put them in the freezer overnight? In the microwave and set it on HIGH for three minutes? How about if I run them over with the car?"
Mind you, he would never actually do any of these things; he just likes seeing my reaction.
DS was not that good about leaving his larvae alone and they turned out alright. Well, there was that one . . . O.k. leave them alone :-)
I'm so glad she's feeling better with the topomax (hopefully). And I can't believe the instructor got bit by a dog. That must have been shocking.
What a cool project! Are you folks going to set up some kind of butterfly habitat for when they "hatch"?
What a fun project! Can't wait to see the pictures when they become butterflies.
Very cool! I can't wait to read more as they develop.
It never ceases to impress me how lovig and caring our kids are. I think it's the so-called "experts" that lack theory of mind!
I've never heard about this. You can actually order larvae and they live long enough to become butterflies???
That's really cool. I wonder if it'll survive the mail post all the way to Singapore. Or they might already turn into butterflies when it reaches me.
I think it's a really cool educational kit :)
I love this post and the pictures. Maizie looks so happy and excited!! She is going to learn so much from this and love it along the way. I totally love the prayer, so very, very sweet.
XOXOXO
I caught your comment over at Eileen's blog, ALife of Triggers. I was wondering if you could explain IMAGO counseling to me. I have never heard of it.
Thanks,
Janice
Janice,
I e-mailed you a response on IMAGO. Just in case anyone else wonders what it is you can check out this website.
http://gettingtheloveyouwant.com/
Marla
that looks like so much fun! i love the prayer! how thoughtful!
We did those last year, and they were a huge hit around here. How fun!
E
How very fun! We will be doing those too as soon as I can find our certificate :D
M's questions are just too sweet and adorable!
I have not been the best at responding to comments. I am trying to get better! Yes Anne, we will put them in a habitat and then once out they will go outside and be free! I will post again on the process.
Post a Comment