Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sleep...the Never Ending Challenge

After Maizie recovered from her pyloric stenosis surgery at the age of two months I thought everything would become "normal" for her. That she would be a healthy little baby from then on.

One of our many hints that Maizie's health was 'off' came around the age of eleven months. Maizie was unable to fall asleep. Once she finally did fall asleep her slumber never lasted more than an hour before she would be up again. Either full of energy or crying her blood curdling screams that nothing could calm. These screaming sessions lasted from fifteen minutes to a couple hours straight. It was pure torture to watch her scream and not be able to help her. Nothing we did calmed her.
Joe and I began arguing over who was getting up with Maizie in the night. We argued over who was with her more during the day to hear the ongoing screams. Schedules were made to try and share the challenge of trying to help Maizie sleep. We tried having her sleep in bed with us, we took turns sleeping on the floor beside her crib, various music was played, lighting adjusted and the list goes on. Eventually nothing was working and our arguing intensified. There was really no fair way to share her amazingly erratic sleep schedule so we made a drastic decision. A pact was made that we would both get up with Maizie. Together. Every single time.

Of course I still became upset on occasion since I was with Maizie all day. Maizie rarely napped but had long screaming bouts. Once Joe began traveling we had to alter our deal. Getting up together worked for her first four years or so. Eventually long bouts of insomnia had to be divided up. Joe took four hours and then I took four hours. When he traveled I struggled and napped a lot once he came home.

When Maizie was doing well she was a complete joy to be with. I patiently waited for these moments or sometimes string of days to happen and was determined to be present whenever it seemed like Maizie was present with me. It was as if she was suddenly there with me and noticing me and everything was made wonderful again.

Every time Maizie was "well" I thought the difficult periods of time were gone...forever.

Time would pass and I would watch other moms with their kids and ask questions like this?

So...your baby takes naps? How long does he sleep for? Does he ever wake up and scream for hours? Does your baby throw up a lot? Is it hard to get your babies attention on some days? How do you seem so awake and with it when I am so tired with just one baby?

Eventually, I stopped asking the questions because the looks, advice and comments I got in return were too painful. It became evident that my friends were not experiencing what I was with Maizie.

There was never a moment where we had any answers in regards to sleeping and Maizie. Over the years she has had two sleep studies and neither showed anything worth while. It was not until Maizie was three years old and was unable to sleep for three days straight that the doctor's took notice.
Over time Maizie has begun to sleep better. She slept through the night for the first time when she was eight years old. Up until then she would wake up from about one in the morning and stay awake until about four and then sleep until six and stay awake all day. During this time we tried many ways to get her to sleep but eventually we stopped and just let her do what she needed to do during these hours. Sometimes she would color, play or watch cartoons. I remember baking and cleaning the house at three in the morning just to stay awake.

At three o'clock this morning I came downstairs to find Maizie sitting in her favorite chair. She had eaten an entire bag of beef jerky and three Slim Jims. The smell of the meat about sent me over the edge. Both of these foods are not allowed on her migraine diet. We allow them sparingly. I removed all the wrappers, covered her up all cozy like and encouraged her to sleep. She always says, "I am waiting for it!" I feel like I am always waiting too.

I imagine as an infant these long screaming bouts were due to the CVS? A correct diagnosis may have made everything different. And yet, with the diagnosis of CVS, Autism and her extra chromosome 6 we still find ourselves doubting. Are we missing something? Sunday was a really long day. Maizie was in intense pain all day. Monday was a bit better and today was okay as well. She seems tired though. I remember her like this as a baby. Sickness followed by a few days of not really being present in the moment. She is tired. I asked her how she was feeling this morning and she said,"Stop asking me that! You might make me worry and then it will happen." These ongoing bouts of CVS take their toll and insomnia does nothing to help.

When an infant/toddler/preschooler is screaming and in ongoing pain there is a reason for that pain. If someone is telling you it is your imagination or your child is just being stubborn or manipluting...run...run far away and don't look back. Go to the next professional and if they don't listen move on to the next. Never hesitate to fire a doctor, therapist or counselor if they are not taking your child's pain or situation seriously. People will talk about you, say you are paranoid or obsessed. Let them.

17 comments:

Angie said...

I can't imagine how you do it. C. didn't sleep well for the first two and half years, waking several times each night, but we could usually get him back to sleep. You amaze me. Thank you for sharing your story to help others.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, does she crave those foods? INteresting that she ate so much. When James gets sick from something, or even on the same day as something, he will refuse to eat it from then on. Of course, she's sick so often, she wouldn't be eating if she did that.

I can't imagine being that sleep deprived all the time. Hugs.

Pregnantly Plump said...

I'm so sorry Maizie has always had such a rough time sleeping. I know it has/had to be hard on all of you. I'm glad you were able to be present and enjoy her during the times she felt better, and those pictures of her are just too, too adorable.
I agree with your advice about leaving a doctor who makes light of your concerns. You know your child, the doctor only sees the child for moments at a time.

Niksmom said...

Oh, Marla, I am so sorry you guys have been going through this for so long! You are right...parents need to really trust themselves and keep pushing for answers. I hope Maizie is feeling better and you guys are getting some sleep tonight!

Christine said...

Your night-time strategies sound very familiar!! For a time we did the split shift thing and that worked well. But now that I am at home all the time I let my husband sleep if he can. Usually we're both up though. It can't last forever though, right?

Anyway, I'm with you on the lack of sleep thing. It is HARD. And people always ask me: well, just because he is awake, why do you have to be awake. Um, like I would let my 1,2,3,4,5 year old be up all night uncomforted. Yeah, no sleep stinks!

Anonymous said...

My daughter has a circadian rhythm disorder due to her Autism. I think she was 10 before we found a neurologist who specialized in sleep disorders in autistic children (who knew such a person existed!) to tell us this and help find some solutions. Before that our daughter would sleep an average of 4 hours a night. From the time she was a wee bitty thing. No naps. No sleep until 3 o 4 in the morning. It was hell. She would lay in bed for hours and hours she just could not sleep. And if she wasn't asleep I couldn't be asleep because if I nodded off when I woke up the cat might be covered with peanut butter.

(By the by, if your cat turns up covered in peanut butter corn meal brushed through does a good job of taking it out.)

We did switch doctors when one of her doctors told us that "she just must not need much sleep" when she was sleeping like that at the age of 18 months. As you say- you just have to keep searching until you find someone who can help your kiddo.

kristina said...

Saving this post.

About that bag of beef jerky and the 3 slim jims---have seen Charlie "binge" on food at moments of stress and also right BEFORE he has a big, big stomachache.

We really learn how to "read" our children.

Drama Mama said...

Your poor family. How hard it must be.

I wonder about the craving of the sugar/salt in the Slim Jims?

I'm sure you've tried EVERYTHING, but dietician?

I also read on another blog about Taurine helping kids with autism sleep better.

You're all in my prayers.

God has a corona of stars with your name on it.

Ashley's Mom said...

Marla, oh how I can relate. My Ashley is now 13 years old and has never slept through the night. On a good night, her schedule is similar to what you describe - sleep by 8pm, up from midnight to 3am, back to sleep for another hour or so and then up for the day. A bad night is one where she is up at 9, asleep at 10, up at 11, asleep at 12 - you get the picture.

The killer for me is that I am a single mom and have to go to work the next morning.

I did have a doctor tell me one time that a person can adjust - like an intern in a hospital - but that the adjustment doesn't come without a cost. I'm sure you are well aware of the different costs as am I...

Wish I had some words of wisdom, but I don't. If you find some, send them my way :)

Anonymous said...

You're doing such an awesome job, Marla! I cried my way through much of this... the sleep/scream pattern was much the same here and we resorted to shifts as well. Oh, those days were rough! Still praying that you will be able to discover some of M's CVS triggers soon. I'm betting that stress is one of M's triggers just like J. During J's last episode she started telling us the same thing when we asked how she was feeling, "Stop asking! You're making me nervous and my tummy feels worse!" It's so very hard to want to help and not be able to. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

oh my god. that is SO INCREDIBLY HARD! we had the screaming crying baby for ages and the allergy to sleep. i was ragged for years while i watched other moms parent more kids with less effort and i scratched my matted hair about it over and over. we are (blessedly) not having sleep issues anymore but i remember and my heart goes out to you.

Melissa Jo said...

that is good advice!

Katrin said...

Tell Miss M that I feel for. Life long insomnia is not pleasant to say the least. You start getting the comments from the docs "Your sleep lab results come back normal, you just don't sleep enough." Great...thanks...that was sooo helpful!

Did some of her insomnia start as night mares? (obviously that would be probaby rather impossible to know for the early, early years but didn't know about recently) Mine did, or at least mine that I remember did and even this day, when the nightmares kick back up to 3,4,5+ x per week, my sleep gets worse, when the nightmares go to only once or twice a week, I can sleep more restfully.

Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Excellent advice, Marla. You cannot see too many doctors, seek too many opinions. There is much advice about these days on websites, leaflets in doctor's surgeries and people who think they know. But only you and your husband know Maizie inside out. That is why you need to carry on searching.

CJ xx

Bonnie said...

Marla, I can so relate, we have had sleep issues since he was born. I still to this day find it fascinating that some of my friends put their kids to bed at 7:30pm. I feel completely out of synch when he falls asleep at 9pm! What's wrong with him I wonder!? Especially since normal bedtime is anywhere from 10:30 to 11pm, but I don't share that with many people. I always use my mantra when it comes to sleep "This too shall pass".

Anonymous said...

Marla,
((((HUGS)))) I feel for you. Melanie slept so good as an infant, but stopped sleeping well as she got older. Sometime she just stays up all night. It is so frustrating because she all the doctors say the key to keeping her "well" is to get enough sleep and eat right. Well her medications make her want to eat like crazy and sleep is an ongoing issue. She did like Melatonin for a short time, she said she had to fall asleep within a "certain window of time" or it wouldn't work. She was exactly right.

I don't have any advice. Just love and support. I love your advice, keeping searching and finding a doctor who listens...really listens.

XOXO

floating in space said...

The not-sleeping thing is so tough. Hang in there.