Monday, May 5, 2008

Update on Susie, Thinking about Blood Donation and Zoos

Susie, Chloe's mom is doing so much better after her hip replacement surgery. She is happy to be home even if she is only able to be on the first floor. They had to set up a hospital bed in the dining room and she is using a walker to get around. I got to check out her fancy new bedroom today and it was kinda cozy. I can only imagine how frustrating it is not to be able to go up and down the steps. Not to mention she has no shower on the first floor so she has to go to her mom's house to shower. Ugh. Fortunately her mother in law of whom she gets along well with is staying with her for a few weeks to help with Chloe and taking care of the house.

Susie had eight blood transfusions while in the hospital. I have never donated blood but now I am seriously considering doing so. Do any of you donate blood? Why do you donate? I am really feeling the pull. I think it is a miracle that Susie survived such massive blood loss during surgery. Without that blood....well, I hate to even think about it.
Today we picked up Chloe and met Melissa and Alex at the zoo. Our town has an amazing zoo. I grew up in Cedar Rapids, Iowa where our zoo was one block long. The zoo has been around about a hundred years. Old McDonald's Farm is in Beaver Park. I imagine it has been updated considerably. I hope it has. The zoo had a lion, some monkeys in a sad garage like building with no windows, a donkey, goats, ducks and chickens. There may have been some other animals but nothing memorable. As a kid I loved it but I had no concept of what an adequate living arrangement was for any animal.

I remember being able to hear the lion growling from where we lived. That was cool. Back then it had no security. It was free of charge then and still is today. Vandalism happened all the time. The lion was often spray painted and eventually shot to death. At least that is what I remember hearing. I have no reason to believe it was not true though. Very sad. I tried searching for a website of some photos from the zoo and found close to nothing. If we go back to visit I want to go there again.

When we moved here I was in awe. The zoo is affordable, immaculate and constantly improving. We usually go often in the Spring when it is not hot out. You can buy a pass for about $65. Very inexpensive considering how often we go. I am sprinkling some zoo pictures from today throughout this post. Tonight Joe is riding go carts in Boston. His company calls this 'team building'. Sounds like another excuse to go out and have fun. They will probably go to a fancy dinner and then hit a bar after that. Yes, I do get a tad jealous of Joe's ongoing adventures.

He gets to travel often. Sometimes to really great places like Israel. I guess the zoo is as good as it gets for me and lil' Maizie. Sigh.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just donated blood, and went to the zoo. We must be on the same wavelength :-).

Dh donates every 6 weeks (8 weeks? andway, regularly). I used to before James, now it's harder for me to get the time. However, it's really easy. I find the worst part when they check for iron (the finger prick - yuck!).

I'm Chloe's mom is doing better. They are always low on blood here; I don't know about the rest of the country. The worst time of the year is the holidays, because everyone gets busy. So, if you can only donate during the holidays, that's a huge help.

It does make you think, when it affects someone you know.

jo3baltes said...

Hey now, I go to lots of "not nice" places, like Fort Huachuca. We all got great trips to Cape Cod and Disney too. Even though Maizie had CVS spells every day at Cape Cod, that trip was still great. It's so nice to see Maizie in her element at the Zoo.

Marla said...

Hey, I am not picky where we go. I just like to go! That is two places in five years. I have a weekend away coming up soon at least. Cape Cod and Disney were great and I am thankful. Is it enough for me though? No. ;)
Love ya and miss you.

Anonymous said...

With all the moves we've had we've seen our share of great and not so great zoos. Right now we have a nice medium size and well shaded zoo that we have a membership to.

As for donating blood, I do it occasionally. It is hard for me to get out and do it with the kids and hubby working odd shifts. I usually do it when they offer one on base. I used to go with my mom, she went as often as allowed. Most places will let you specify someone/family/group that you are donating for. So she would donate each time for a different part of our family (grandparents, uncles, us, church) they don't get her specific blood, just some set aside. Blood doesn't last long in the blood banks (expiration wise and usage wise) and there are always nationwide shortages. Go do it! It doesn't hurt and you get free cookies and juice afterwards.

Essential Amy said...

We have an ecology center close by where they rescue animals and it's kind of like a zoo and also a little like the island of misfit toys. My sister says the eagle is not bald, it just has a receding hairline. At any rate, it's a really wonderful place, and it's free. The animals 'go to sleep' at 3:00 though so we don't go during the week when bubs has school.

My husband gives blood all the time. They also call us at least 3 times a night to find out when he is coming back.
Oh, and my husband is going on a business trip next week to Atlantic City. Hmmm. I kind of think AC is the most distracting place I could think of for a bunch of instrumentation and control technicians.

Pregnantly Plump said...

The zoo looks fun! Our zoo here is free, but the parking is expensive. We haven't been in a while, but we need to go back.
I used to donate blood, but had to stop. I am slightly anemic. They aren't supposed to take your blood when you are in some sort of range. But they took mine while it was in the range and I ended up blacking out. Since then I've only donated once. I should get back into it. Bob never donated and is scared of needles. We had no idea what his blood type was until after Little Elvis was born. Now he will donate blood at work whenever the United Blood Services people set up shop.
Glad your friend is doing better!

Club 166 said...

We have a very nice FREE zoo. You can't beat nice and FREE. We also have a free science center, history museum, and art museum.

Joe

floating in space said...

My husband donates blood on a regular basis. I tried it once and almost passed out.

Glad your friend is feeling better!

Ashley's Mom said...

I love the pictures of Maizie. She looks so very happy!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that Maizie is getting out the zoo and stuff. I can understand your jeolousy of Joe. I feel that way about my husband sometimes too. He is going to Denver Sunday and I know he will get to chill. Even though I do work there is never a non stress day. I'm always plugged into the kids and the school. But I figure they will be grown before I know it and I'll be happy for all the time I've been immersed in them.

I use to give blood but I had a false positive for HIV. Even though I don't have it I can never donate again. My doctor said that it happens a lot because the people drawing blood are usually newbies and accidents happen. I'd research the one in your area and see. If you feel moved to do it...go for it :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what's with all the guys and needles? I think usually the only people who get woozy after blood donations are the ones who try to speed it up by pumping ther fists too much.

I donate whenever I can, but I sometimes get rejected because of a low iron count.

Anonymous said...

I wish our zoo was closer! It's three hours away, so we don't go very often. Looks like the girls had a really fun time!

DJ Kirkby said...

I am too scared to donate blood, not 'cos of the pain as it doesn't hurt but 'cos it takes o long to get enough blood out. Blood donors are true heros and heroines. Did you know donated blood only lasts 3 months but most donated blood never lingers that long before it is needed anyway.

Anonymous said...

Wow, how thankful I am to all of the people who have donated blood! I admit I am not one of them, and have some guilt about that now. Still, it is a wonderful gift.
Chloe had a blast at the zoo, Marla. Thanks a million for inviting her along for some fun away from home.

Love,
Susie