Touring the Children's Autism Center
This morning Maizie had a CVS bout. She was sitting watching cartoons and I was eating a bowl of cereal when all of a sudden she curls up into a ball and says, "My belly hurts." She begins sweating and asks for her sick bear bowl. It was a bad one.
I woke up Joe and told him Maizie was having an episode. It had been quite a few days since the last one so as always we were both holding out hope that there would be no more. You can't help it. These thoughts just take over and we think,"Maybe she has outgrown it. Maybe they will stay away all summer."
I set Maizie up with her belly cozy and head off to an important morning meeting.
I went to tour our towns relatively new Children's Autism Center. They have been open for two years. Oh, how I wish they would have been around when Maizie was younger. And yet, we managed and Maizie is doing quite well.
There are some areas where we need help. Despite trying many different teaching methods we have been unable to help her understand the passing of time, basic math skills, hand writing skills and various self care skills. Behaviorally she is doing quite well. I am sure we would see some behaviors develop with the stress of adding in therapies. They help in that area too. One day at a time.
I have been wanting to tour this place for months but resisted since Maizie has been so sick with CVS. This week I took the leap, made the calls, scheduled the meeting and completed the paper work. I could barely sleep last night anticipating the meeting and trying to breathe from this nightmare sinus infection/cold. My biggest worries being, "What if they won't help us? What if Maizie can't stay well enough to go?"
Then, to wake up and see Maizie struggle with another episode about sent me over the edge. My heart broke.
The meeting went great. The place is clean, organized, professional and the people there were all very kind. They only use positive methods and won't do time outs unless you sign off for them. I was very pleased to hear this.
Maizie will have her initial testing soon to see what areas she needs help in. The best news of all....our insurance will cover it one hundred percent. God willing, that is true. I never trust what the insurance company tells me until the bills go through and they are covered. It is good and supportive news though! Yes!
Now, I have to chill and think good thoughts. I can't imagine why she would not qualify for services and yet I worry they will say she is too "high functioning" or that her CVS would cause too many difficulties. My mind runs away with negative thoughts. Now that I know we may be getting some quality help I am a nervous wreck waiting for the answers.
I told Maizie about the Autism Center and she said, "I am not Autistic! I mean...I am...but I don't want math." The brochure had a large drawing of a few addition problems. Next, she closed the brochure and said, "Cool. Fine." and threw it back on the table. I explained we would still be homeschooling and that pleased her.
This would be a big change for her. Luckily, the hours are flexible. She would probably begin with three hours in the afternoon and build from there. Since she has not been tested in quite a few years I am very interested in seeing the results and what the center would offer for help.
Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. The photos in this post are from 2004 and 2005.



31 comments:
Leeping fingers adn toes crossed for you here, too. I hope Maizie is feeling better tonight. xo
Wow Marla, what a wonderful resource to have nearby, and potentially covered by your insurance. I hope everything goes through for you. As far as her other health issues, I have to wonder if there aren't some laws that would never deny her entry into this place. So many kids with Autism have other health problems so it may be a given there! Good luck and keep us apprised, whatever will happen will happen for a reason.
Oh she is a funny one..."I am but I don't want math", that made my whole day.
I'm sorry to hear her CVS symptoms have returned. Hopefully it will pass quickly.
Good luck with the Autism center. I love her reaction, "I don't want math." :-)
I'm sorry that Maizie is hurting. I'm glad that things went well with the tour and amazed that your insurance said they will pay. Wow. I think my insurance folks just laugh at me when I ask for things now.
:( Hopefully Maizie feels better soon.
I had a lot of trouble with basic math skills as well when I was little...in fact, I still have a lot of trouble with arithmetic. Math really only "clicked" for me once I took geometry, because relating it to shapes apparently made it concrete enough to make sense to me. It was very odd -- I'd thought I was horrible in all math, but it turned out that my primary issue was with basic arithmetic. Once I started being allowed to use a calculator, things got a lot better. The main thing my educational experience taught me in that regard was that there was no actual sense in how the curriculum was normally presented, at least for kids like me...
Maizie is such a beautiful little girl. I love the photos.
I am so sorry to hear she had another episode. I hope she is feeling better. I know how stressful and frustrating this is for all of you. Sending support and hugs your way.
The Autism Center sounds amazing. I am sure you will get the support. What a great resource for your community.
Tell Maizie that I don't do math either. I can totally relate, I hate it. Funny my husband was a math teacher, back when he was teaching.
Take care of yourself and I hope you have a good weekend.
It breaks my heart that she is still suffering with the CVS bouts...praying for her (and you).
The center sounds like a great resource; I hope it works out for you. It makes a tremendous difference to have outside sources.
I had to chuckle a little because Miss M struggles with time...Math...and shoe tying. Peas in a pod.
Hope you're getting some chillaxation.
xo
Sorry to hear about the CVS episode. But know how it is to think you might be over something, just to have it come back again. Bummer.
I'm amazed (and happy for you) that the insurance might cover the school. Cool Beans.
Joe
I know what it feels like to worry like that: knowing the services are out there and not knowing if you'll be able to get them at all. We're going to apply for help too: I need help around the house because I can't do it on my own. I worry that they will tell me my problems aren't big enough to get help with.
Good luck, I hope it works out.
I dont do Maths either!
The center sounds interesting. Would be a big change. So yes fingers and toes crossed for you all!
Hope Maizie can stay well enough. Hugs
so sorry to hear about the CVS. ugh. it must be incredibly exhausting and scary for all of you. i remember when my sister was going through it.
the school! oh! i'm crossing my fingers and sending out my best thoughts for this to work out! it sounds wonderful.
I'm so glad you have tapped into this resource. It sounds as if it will be very helpful. One day at a time sounds like a good plan. Sending positive energy your way.
I'm sorry to hear both you and M are poorly right now, I hope you'll be feeling lots better asap. The centre sounds like a great place, fingers and toes crossed it all works out for you, hugs BG x
The autism center sounds like a wonderful resource. I'm sure it will be very helpful.
it sounds like a wonderful place and i'm sure it will be really great for maizie! it helps that they are flexible with their hours!
I feel for you and Maizie... Vomiting is awful and seeing our kid throw up also hurts. But I'm glad you found this school and that verbally she seems to be doing so well.
Sending lots of good thoughts and vibes your way. The place sounds really great and it would be wonderful if the insurance actually lived up to its words.
Those pictures are great! I like seeing the younger Maizie pics.
I haven't mentioned it before, but I think your photography is wonderful.
That's so good about the insurance coverage and that you have this resource near you. I have no doubt that they will provide what is needed, and although I don't trust insurance folk, either, I will believe that this time, they're being fully accurate.
"Despite trying many different teaching methods we have been unable to help her understand the passing of time, basic math skills, hand writing skills and various self care skills."
TH has *exactly* the same issues. The math is unusual, though, because he can multiply 200 x 3 correctly in his head, but can't remember what 7+7 is. Things like that.
Marla, i finally figured out how to make a blog roll, you're in it!! Hope that's ok!
You are so fortunate to have the Autism Center as a resource! Hope it goes well. My son also doesn't like Math, but we're challenged by "going against the grain" behavior more than anything. So sorry that Maizie had another bout with CVS.
I will keep my fingers crossed for you guys! It sounds like a wonderful place and a great resource for you. I imagine it's tough doing it on your own, it's tough for me and I had an army of people helping me.
Lol to Mazie's comment about the school! A girl after my own heart. I am Autistic but dont want math either! I am begining to wonder how to approach the topic of Autism with N3S, he is going to a disability playscheme this summer and I am trying to explain to him why he will enjoy this becuase the other children are 'like him' instead of NT's. He is 5 years old and doesnt know that he is an Aspie or that I am yet.
You tell Ms. Maize that I'm with her! I don't want math either!
Good luck
Wow- this Autism Center sounds like a really great opportunity for Maizie. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Love the picture of "Punky Brewster"! :)
She takes the best photos---am very excited about the Center. How often would she go?
(I guess I should say, you take some lovely photos!)
Hope she was better today. It's funny about math with Charlie---he likes numbers, but not interested in math and doing things with them (well, the things "most of up" do).
You can add my crossed fingers, too.
One thing about autism places is that they know to be flexible :)
I hope you get the help you and Maizie need. I hope she is feeling better. :)
That is really great. I think it would be so good for her. Too bad about her getting sick again. Poor girl.
Oh -- so sorry to hear M is down with CVS again, that's so rough, Marla! Keeping your family in our prayers that things will work out well with the autism center. I love that shot of M with the mis-matched shoes -- that is just beyond adorable!
Post a Comment