Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Interview on Growing Up, Autism and Other Things with Anne C of Existence is Wonderful

Anne C's blog Existence is Wonderful is one of my favorites even though I sometimes have a hard time understanding Anne's science fictiony posts. My mind has a hard time with anything in that realm. I had never even seen Star Wars until we moved to Jersey.

Like me, Anne is an artist. She is also an engineer and a writer. Anne is also Autistic, like Maizie. We have a lot in common and I am so proud to have a growing friendship with Anne.

Through reading, commenting on her blog and asking Anne questions I have learned more about what it is like growing up Autistic and being an adult with Autism than is possible from any book. Anne has given me excellent advice for teaching Maizie math, the passing of time and valuable insight into how communication might work for Maizie.

I ended up interviewing Anne to get an even greater understanding of her incredible story. I spent a great deal of time narrowing down my questions. It was difficult because I have so many things I want to ask her and she has a great deal to share.

Anne answered them and I devoured her writing in one sitting. Her answers were long and yet I would have hated to edit them. Every word she wrote served a purpose and I did not want to tweak them in any way. I found myself nodding yes, laughing, smiling, talking out loud and at one point tearing up. I am so excited for you to read Anne's interview.

Because of the personal nature of Anne's answers we decided it was best published on Anne's personal blog rather than mine. She has included beautiful photos at my gentle insistence.

I firmly believe that the best way to learn about Autism and various other disabilities is directly from children and adults who have "been there" and "are there". The knowledge Anne shares is beyond valuable.

Here are the links to each part. Enjoy and please comment!
Interview on Growing Up, Autism, and Other Things - Part I

Part II

Part III

4 comments:

Casdok said...

Excellent interview. I so agree with you, i have learnt so much more this past year sinse reading blogs.

Trish said...

I have just read part I so far but this is a wonderful interview and I am so glad you have introduced Anne to me!

floating in space said...

Excellent interview! I have added Anne's blog to my bookmarks. I know she will be able to teach me a great deal.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting interview. I have also bookmarked Anne's blog. She taught me so much and I appreciated her honesty. What a very nice person.