Asperger Syndrome & Alcohol...Drinking to Cope? Autism Life Skills.
Yesterday I went to the library to pick up some books for Maizie and instead was surprised to find a couple of interesting books discussing Autism.
On the 'new books' shelf there were two books that caught my attention. The first, 'Autism Life Skills' From Communication and Safety to Self-Esteem and More 10 Essential Abilities Every Child Needs and Deserves to Learn by Chantal Sicile-Kira.
I was taken by the title immediately, thinking the words 'Deserves to Learn' were an interesting choice. I most certainly do believe Autistic children have every right to learn. I found the words shocking because I would like to think people don't need to be told that children who are Autistic deserve to learn. Hopefully, that is just a given. And yet, considering what we have been through with the school systems inability to teach my daughter who is in every way teachable...well, it is naive of me to think that everyone believes that Autistic children and adults deserve to learn. The truth is some parents and professionals out there believe that Autistic children don't have the same rights to an education that "normal" children do.
Possibly, I am misreading that title but these were the thoughts that initially struck me. The foreword is written by Temple Grandin, Ph.D. and I love her writing. I am most interested in the chapter on independence because Maizie has shown an increased interest in being more independent despite her safety and communication skills not being ready for it. As parents we are talking over some ideas to help her gain the independence she is requesting.
The second book I checked out surprised me. It is titled Asperger Syndrome and Alcohol...Drinking to Cope? by Matthew Tinsley and Sarah Hendrckx. This book's foreword is also by Temple Grandin. The writers are hoping to explain the link between alcohol abuse and Aspergers.
Matthew Tinsley the author was an alcoholic and writes about how his diagnosis of Aspergers helped him recover. Sarah Hendrickx's partner Keith is self diagnosed Aspergers.
I like that the book is written by two people who have first hand experience being Aspergers or living with someone who is. Alcohol being used as a way to cope with Aspergers is something I have naively never considered. Looking back to my high school days I can see a few friends who may have fit the diagnosis of Aspergers who were routinely turning to alcohol to make it through high school and all of the social challenges that go with it. Of course I have no idea if Aspergers would account for the alochol use I witnessed but it would answer a few questions. I do believe that without a proper diagnosis most individuals will turn to something to cope. That seems to be true for many other challenges such as major depression or eating disorders.
Hopefully reading the book will shed some light on this topic which is very new to my thinking about Aspergers.



16 comments:
Now there is an irony, Temple Grandin the universal prefacionalist introducing someones book on AS and Booze, when I met Temple Grandin, as perhaps she might recall, I was drunk and the consequences of that were not what I would have desired nor I expect she either.
Thing is Alcoholism, may be independently hereditable of AS.
If one has the means to escape reality without drinking, that is fine, but do not tell me it is worse than prescription pharmacy, it is probably equally bad.
Still I have out survived Dylan Thomas, (though I suspect not out drunk him) butd I have yet to out survive George Best or Oliver Reed, it is still my 53rd year to Heaven after all.
Hope you find the Life Skills book helpful. My son is always pushing us for more independence too. His biggest hurdle is social skills.
The idea of a link between Asperger's Syndrome and Alcohol is interesting and something I never considered either. I think that getting diagnosed and knowing why oneself is so different is probaby a great relief for many people.
Wow. I never thought of the alchohol/asperger link. Crazy!! But it makes perfect sense.
I'm turning 30 this year and have never been drunk in my life. Not because of some kind of self-perceived moral superiority - mainly because (a) my mother had some issues with drinking when I was growing up and it scared me terribly, and (b) I am severely emetophobic (afraid of vomiting) -- I don't know what I'd have done if I had something like CVS! I have engaged in forms of escapism -- for me it's just usually been things like reading and video games (which can be done in non-escapist ways but as a kid I did use them to avoid other things that were overwhelming me), and (in college during a very bad time) skipping class to go hide in the woods. :/
Howdy, Ma'am! I'm aware of that book. Alas, neither the public library nor thebookstores around here seem to have a copy. I'd like to read it, as I,like Larry, think that mostly the consequences of treating anxiety withethyl hydroxide are no worse than those of using doctor-drugs. I wouldlike to buy Larry a pint or three, and take him out shooting. (Not onthe same occasion!) Well, shooting first, pints afterwards. What shall we do with the drunken aspie, what shall we do with thedrunken aspie, earl-eye in the mor-ning! Please put this up as a comment there, if you can. All the best, tregonsee, AKA Justthisguy.
Like yourself and fxsmom, I hadn't thought of the Aspergers/alcohol link. It makes sense though as a way of dealing with social anxiety. Though I would question whether managed prescription medication is "equally bad" as excessive alcohol consumption.
Funny, I talk about an overdependance on alcohol as a stimming/coping mechanism when I was in my 20's and 30's in my book too. I did think it was just me though so in a way it is nice to know there are others Aspies that did the same.
I think it is great that there are now so many different subjects covered around autism. When C was young there were hardly any!
I do not think that taking medications is the same as using alcohol. Medications can be taken under the supervision of a doctor and are motitored for possible negative side effects. Medications would also not have the same outcome as drunk driving, blacking out or doing behaviors later regretted under the influence.
I understand that many Autistic people are against the use of medications. However, I imagine some are equally against the abuse of alcohol.
I would be interested in learning why some people believe that medications are as bad as alcohol in the treatment of anxiety and behavioral concerns related to Autism.
I worry for my son. I see him at five having such a hard time coping sometimes, he gets frustrated and angry. I really am trying hard to teach him coping skills now so that when he gets older he will be able to handle the things that come his way. I think that we are all looking for ways to make things less painful, and I guess I am lucky that alcohol never seemed to help. Perhaps I have genetics to thank for that one. But I do have depression and anxiety and I do fear that my son might have inherited that from me.
I think it's great though that your library has these books, and great that there are books being written about autism. The more info and opinions, the better!!!!
I think it's great that you and Joe are working to help Maizie gain the level of independence she seeks. These books sound as if they will be helpful with many things, or at least provide lots of food for thought.
Interesting. You got a lot of strong opinions on this post.
It's not uncommon for people to self-medicate with alcohol for discomfort in social situations. In fact, I would say it's socially acceptable (cocktail, anyone?), so I wouldn't say that the link surprises me, although I wouldn't say it's the same as medication.
Finding the right balance between independence and ability is always a struggle. Good luck.
Thanks so much for the info on the books! I am particularly interested in the Life Skills book, which I will look for at my library today. I would not have made the connection between Asperger's and alcoholism, but I can certainly see it now.
I think that all people who aren't neurotypical should be strongly warned to abstain from alcohol. Psychiatric conditions predispose to alcohol addiction, and alcohol aggravates the conditions. I have a younger colleague with an uncertain label who is using ever-increasing doses of alcohol to cope, ruining himself right in front of my eyes.
Thanks for the heads up on these books. I'm very interested in the one linking Asperger's and alcoholism (given the links in my own family between autism and addiction), so I think I will pick that one up myself.
I used alcohol in my late teens to early twenties to numb my senses as a way of dealing with sensory overload. It was the only way I could step foot in a restaurant or bar.
Post a Comment