Pumpkin Farm Fun
When I was little one of my favorite family traditions was going to the pumpkin farm to pick out our Halloween pumpkins for Jack o' lanterns. Now that I am grown up I am fortunate that Maizie loves this family outing as well. When she was little I would prop her up on the table with all the pumpkins and take tons of photos. Fall photos made for some of my best shots of Lil' Maizie.
I am lucky if Maizie is even willing to look at the camera now, yet alone smile. She is all tween and having a mom that is constantly taking photographs is very uncool. In the photo above she smiled briefly and a second later was lunging at me insisting I put the iPhone away. So, I had to resort to taking pictures of pumpkins and whatever interesting things we saw on the farm.
Maizie picked out this smooth pumpkin that she described as, "the most perfect pumpkin". I picked out one that is covered in lumps and bumps and quite large. Maizie loves weighing the pumpkins and we both stare at Joe while he figures out the cost.
This stunning Aussie was hiding under one of the tables. I knelt down and said, "Come here pretty." and she trotted right over. She was absolutely beautiful with soft yellow eyes.
Off in the corner this sickly kitten was curled up resting, or possibly dying in the corn stalks. It's tiny nose was covered in big bubbles and crusties. She was listless and I imagine very ill. Joe grew up on a farm and insists that the farm cat is treated as a burden...similar to a rat or a mouse.
I was taken aback that the kitten was more than likely not given its shots and it's mama cat was probably never spayed. Needless to say, because it lacked vaccinations this kitties days would be short and not too sweet.



17 comments:
Pumpkin farms are so beautiful. I love to drive by or stop and look. When Tess was small (before it cost $10 to get a pumpkin!) we used to go to a neat country farm and spend all afternoon looking for just the right jack.
Poor, sweet kitty. That's how our Ophelia was when we got her from the chicken farm. I thought she was mellow tempered but she was so sick she was nearly dead. Now she's a feisty little bundle! If only we could save them all...
That pic of the little "pumpkins" is beautiful, as are the pix of Maizie. That is sad about the little kitten. It's almost better just to go ahead and put it out of its misery at this point. I wish people would just spay and neuter.
E
Nice photos--even the ones without your lovely daughter. My guy still likes to ham it up for the camera, but those days may be limited because he's a tween too!
E-Gads! Have I never told you about my issue with bumpy things? I am all grossed out thinking about you having a bumpy and lumpy pumlkin. It makes my skin crawl.
My coworkers think it's amusing and put those terribly little bumpy gourds on my desk. I cannot even bear to touch them to throw them away. I have to scoot them to the trashcan with a book or something.
Ack!
I knos, I am ridiculously twisted. My mom always says Dustin found a family made especially for his brand of craziness! LOL
i love blogs about dying kitties! keep it up! [note the sarcasm :]
What a cool sounding place.
I love pumpkin patches! It is a ritual for us and there are so many to choose from. Like you, I always got beautiful shots of the girls, when they were younger.
Your photos are great.
I think my girls would have brought the cat home. That is exactly how we ended up with Lilly, in a home I declared that would always be cat free. I was so wrong, and I love Lilly. So sad.
The dog was a total love!
Ahhh, ya had me feelin' all happy and autumny inside until you showed that kitty, bless it's heart.
Thanks for adding to you facebook blog list. I would like to do the same but for the life of me can't figure out how!
Wow, I gotta say, that post took an unexpected turn. I would complain, except my blog is all wild kingdom-y at the moment as well, so that would be pot, kettle, black.
Take the complaining pictures, they too are precious.
Pumpkin picking is awesome and you got some amazing photos! I feel awful for the poor kitty!!
My daughter is going pumpkin picking on a school trip and I think we'll make one more family trip for a big pumpkin as well. Suck a fun time of year!
I love all the baby pumpkins!
I don't understand why people have pets and then take such poor care of them. Poor little kitten. :(
I love Maizie's smile! Thanks for the comment on my blog. Nice to see you all having so much fun together. It's what life is all about.
I wish I lived nearby; I'd go and rescue that poor kitten.
My grandparents always had cats around their horse barn. They were prized mousers and were very well cared for with up-to-date shots and spay/neutering. Most were big beautiful Maine Coons. Good farmers don't want mice and rats eating the grain and carrying disease.
I suppose it's a matter of personal style but I can't believe anyone would be so heartless as to let a sick kitten languish like that, especially if they are trying to attract children to their pumpkin patch.
I hope someone takes an interest in the kitten and gets it the help it needs.
-Jill
Poor kitty :(
Love the recent Maizie pumpkins pic. Having a boy who is "all tween", I know it can be tough to catch a moment like that. :o)
I'm with Maizie on the smooth pumpkins...
And I am a rescue kitty keeper...4 of mine came from the streets or farms as kittens, all have had their shots.
Awesome pictures!
Such a great shot of M! I love the one of her as a little tyke too -- happens so fast, doesn't it?
So sad about the kitty :(
Post a Comment