Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween Fun!

The girls arrived Friday night. It had been a long while since we saw the girls. Chris had a very rough month with the guard. Which means everyone had a rough month missing Chris. He is a commander and they are getting ready for a deployment to Afghanistan. For the entire month of October he was readying troops for the deployment. He worked from about five a.m. to eleven at night all week and most weekends. It was great to have him home and especially to have the girls with us as well.

As you can see from the photo above Mimi and Maizie missed one another very much. They have grown very close to one another. Every time I turned around Mimi was running up to Maizie and hugging her.Friday we celebrated Sally's tenth birthday. She had been wanting a flamingo marionette. Thankfully the Internet makes it very easy to find all kinds of toys. We gave her a baby and mama flamingo. She loves them and is great at putting on little acts with them. Chris gave her a whole bunch of Lego kits. Sally and Chris worked most of the day Sunday putting together a police station. I think she is collecting an entire town.Saturday we carved pumpkins. Chris looks like he is going in for the kill in the first photo. I love how kids start the carving process and then when it gets really messy and time consuming they run off. I am sure I was the same way as a kid. Before we knew it Chris and I were scraping and carving their four pumpkins and our own as well. We enjoyed a few beers and worked on our own pumpkins. Maizie went a little overboard with the drawing on her pumpkin. Chris tried to wash the ink off. He was able to make her design work without too much ink left behind.Maizie did great emptying hers out this year. Normally she would take out one hand full and run to wash her hands. She managed to allow her hands to be sticky for the whole process which was great.
Here is Maizie with her masterpiece. Emma was less than pleased with the cold gooey mess that was pumpkin carving. Too cute.
Emma wanted hers to look a bit like Frankenstein so we put some carrots on the side. Mimi wanted hers to have ears so I did the same with hers.Emma's is on top of the table. Sally's with the cool eye brows is on the chair. Chris's is to the left of the mum with the lid off. Mimi's is on the bottom right. They look awesome.
Maizie's is on the left. I went a little overboard with mine and added gourd horns, an eye and painted some blood around the mouth. It looked pretty nasty in the day light but in the night it looked great.
I had fun dressing up the girls. Sally looks like a club kid ready to go out. She was a ninja.
Mimi was an adorable witch, Maizie a bat fairy and Emma a vampire.

Mimi was quite pleased with her stash of candies. We left a bowl of candy outside for the kids while we went trick or treating. Once we returned we filled the bowl again. By the end of the night we had to turn kids away because we ran out of candy. Being our first year in this neighborhood I had no idea what kind of turn out we would have. Next year I will have to buy way more candy.After dinner we were all exhausted. The girls settled down to watch a movie while Chris, Mimi and me cuddled in bed and watched some t.v. The adorable lil' witch Mimi was ready to put her broom up and call it a night. She fell asleep in Chris's arms within minutes. So sweet.

4 comments:

Ashley's Mom said...

I just can't get over how grown up Maizie is! Your pictures were beautiful, and it looked like you all had a blast!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures Marla. This was a great weekend. I miss all of you this week.

Anne Corwin said...

Very cool...so many pumpkins! like to carve one every year. Matt is less enthused about scooping and carving so we generally end up with only one, but that is okay because I have fun doing it! I made a cat shape on mine this time (cats have been a big theme of my life lately!). I should take a picture of it before it rots.

Costumes are also nifty. Maizie's bat-fairy look is splendid, bats are awesome too.

And we also ran out of candy this year! It was very odd to experience that because previously, for the past 6 years (when we lived in the apartment) we got maybe one or two trick-or-treaters. One year I think we got zero! I guess maybe the kids figure people who live in apartments aren't going to have the "good" candy or something, but in any case, the new neighborhood where our recently-obtained house is was absolutely *packed* with trick-or-treaters. The kept coming for probably three hours too! When we ran out of candy we turned off the porch light but a few more kids came to the door anyway so I had to shoo them off saying "sorry, we're all out!" Next year I will definitely get more stuff because apparently this neighborhood is a top candy-collection spot!

Kelly said...

Glad you guys were able to spend the weekend together after such a long month. Nathan comes home tonight after 7 weeks of being gone and I can't wait to have an extra set of hands around here. It's hard when our men leave us, even if it's just a month of long hours. Hang in there, you are one tough lady! The pumpkins look great and so did all of the girls.