Maizie's Idea for My Memory Loss
There is an annoying infomercial that Maizie insisted I needed to watch. Maizie typically fast forwards the commercials but she made a point to show me this one a few minutes ago.
It was for a rather homely black purse that resembles a fanny pack. She told me she was going to get me the purse for mother's day or my birthday. She insisted I needed it soon. I told her I just got a new purse for Christmas from my Dad.
"No! Keep watching!" Maizie squeals. The commercial went on to show the free gift included with the purse. A small handheld message recorder. The commercial shows the woman looking in the fridge and naming all the foods she needs to buy into the recorder. At the store she takes out her handy dandy message recorder from her fanny pack like purse. She nods her head while listening as if to say, "Eureka! That is what I am here for! Butter!"
I look at Maizie stunned. "You think I need that recorder?" Maizie smiles real big and then gets all serious like , "Yes! You have to get it before you forget to get it! That way you will always buy the foods I eat."
I sigh.
The joys of....food jags. Maizie is currently onto another food jag. If she does not see what she considers to be a large quantity of that particular food item in our cupboards she will begin telling me to go to the store. Many times the moment I stock up on a particular food it seems with a few days she will refuse it. Many of the foods she prefers for very long periods of time will be refused due to textural issues or smells that seemingly come out of nowhere. But, to her these smells and textures that bother her are very real so we respect it and move on. If she has a seizure after eating something she will blame the seizure on eating that particular food item. She does have her days where she will eat a well rounded meal but the meal has to be her "favorite". If a color is off, a new seasoning added or it feels funny to her it may be months before she will try the food again. Meal planning around here can be frustrating and a lesson in patience.
Or does she want to buy me this recorder because she is realizing my ongoing post surgery "brain fog" is not getting any better? Could it be little Miss Maizie is trying to help me adapt to my memory loss? Is she trying to provide me with a tool to assist me through this transition? What a sweetie. I am so proud of her.



12 comments:
I love this post! So cute that she's thinking of something with two benefits: helping your memory and keeping her staple foods on hand (spaghetti o's and bbq chips probably). She's learning from how we help her, how she can help you in turn. Very nice.
Well, are you gonna get it? It does sound like a great idea! Maizie's really onto something.
I used to carry a little notebook and pen with me in a belt pouch. I forgot much less when I had it with me. I need to start doing that again, before my ADHD brain loses me a job or something.
Within in minutes of returning from the shops and having spent approximately £90 my 16 year old looked in the fridge and informed me that there was nothing in the house to eat and I would have to go again.She was less than impressed when I offered her £5 to go to the local supermarket and buy what she needed!I would love to say that a min-recorder would work for me but I know that I would lose it as I have enough problems finding my keys, my phone,my purse, my brain.....
So cute! I'm an infomercial-hag! But I haven't seen this one. Maybe due to the fact we pulled the cable out of the wall. I guess that benefitted the whole family!
Things like that don't help my memory fog (which doesn't seem to be lifting) because I'd lose the device. I'd lose the fanny pack! sigh...
Yes very cute and a great idea!
O.M.G.
Miss M told me yesterday that I needed the exact same thing!
I'm having weird psychic waves right now.
I'll get it if you get it. Can we radio each other with the recorders?
Thre's the rub, you would have to know where the recording device is. But how sweet of her to think of it. Couldn't you do something with that iphone of yours?
Big Daddy Joe-I agree! I think she is learning to help out others too. Wonderful! Miss you!
Chaoticidealism-I am thinking about it! Good idea with the notebook! I would lose the pen though. :0
Mother of Many-Lol....I lose a lot too! Or lately putting things in weird places and having no memory of doing it. This is just not like me!!!!
Jen P-You have brain fog too? It must be spreading! You got rid of cable??!! I could never survive! Actually, we got rid of it for a long time but now that we have it back I appreciate it more.
Casdok-Thanks! Maizie posted! Thank you for visiting her blog. She talks about you all the time. She does complain she can't see what you look like though!
Drama Mama-That is too weird! Very interesting. Maybe these kids are on to something here!
Holly- I would probably lose the recording device. But, the real rub would be I can't stand listening to my own voice yet alone I could not picture me letting other people hear what I said into the recorder. I think I would be embarrassed. So, yes! The i Phone has a great notes section that I use all the time. Problem is I use it more for blogging ideas or cool things I hear or want to do for art work and stuff. Not for grocery lists. I despise going to the grocery store and put it off. Maizie does know this. She hates the store too. Quite a pair we make!
Oh what a sweet heart - very cute!
Lovely that she's thinking of you!!!
Well Linda often forgets and gets me things from last months food obsession so then there really is nothing to eat because it is all the wrong texture, or colour or shape.
I feel your frustration but I complete understand Maizie's too. I hope one day Maizie will understand the idea of food uniformity/comfort or you could eat Kosher - nothing says something is "clean" like God telling you (seriously, I've eaten more things because...well, it's Kosher, it is "clean" it says so right in the bible - "clean", "clean foods" - not eating the grasshopper though) I guess this is making me look like a nut. But; okay, when I travel anywhere in the world I drink coke because I am scared of the food and drink and even though I KNOW coke is made slightly different and will taste slightly different I also know that it is COKE - universal and unchanging. Coke. So for example I from 18 to 21 the same sandwich every day with cherry coke. Thus I understood when I had problems (got sick or other issues); then something had "gotten into" a meal but the IDEA of the food was still secure. Oh goodness, I really do sound like a nut. I am saying that the IDEA of "clean" or "safe" may eventually be stronger than the event - which will mean the food diversity will grow, a bit, maybe. Gee, I hope that helped. From the person who only ate pickles for four months (gosh, my breath must have been fun for everyone).
Funny, SB is forever trying to convince me to buy stuff advertised on TV (and by stuff, I don't mean toys for him, but rather gadgets and things for me to use).
Elissa-I think her thinking of me is the best part.
Eliz-Thank you for all the information. Interesting idea on eating Kosher.
Tulip mom-That is so funny. Our kids must love television shopping. Good thing they don't have their own credit cards.
Post a Comment