Why on Earth Are We Homeschooling?
Today was one of those days where I kept thinking, "Why on earth are we homeschooling?" We must be totally nuts to think we can do this.
I am sure most homeschooling parents feel this on a regular basis. However, I think the feeling may be more intense when you are homeschooling a child with special needs. For so long we are taught and told that children with special needs require special teachers with special degrees.
For several years I followed the belief that professionals knew how to teach Maizie better than we did. I was convinced that we needed speech, occupational and physical therapists. I believed that special education teachers knew techniques and ways to teach that you can only learn in college.
It was only through devoting a great deal of time advocating, visiting and observing in the schools that I realized while many of the professionals had good advice and helpful ideas they could not reach Maizie in the same way that we could. I also discovered that often times what was decided to be worked on was never done and that talk was cheaper than action.
The professionals only had so much control of Maizie's environment. It was impossible to shield her from excessive noise, lights and stress that wore her out daily. She would come home exhausted, frustrated and unable to unwind from a day spent trying to behave like the other children. Struggling to tolerate the stimulus of the classroom took a huge toll on her.
At the same time we have lots of good memories of school. Maizie loved the holiday parties. I enjoyed them too except that she would lose many sleepless nights worrying about and anticipating the parties. Around Christmas time the "holiday energy" often sent Maizie over the edge. The other children were precious and I miss getting to know them. For Maizie, the missing of the other children is intense at times too. I wrestle with this and know that indeed Maizie is missing out on some wonderful school experiences. 
I fall easily back into thinking Maizie needs to experience the typical American schooling system. Why I do this to myself I don't know? It drives me nuts.
I make certain Maizie has lots of social experiences and help her build friendships. We are not lacking in those areas at this time.
We go for days where she is cooperative and ready and willing to work on her school work. Followed by days where I can't get her to do anything but tutoring. Some days she won't even consider doing her math homework for tutoring. No amount of rewards, bribes or earning of points convinces her.
Maizie often says in her most frustrated tone, "I will do it when my brain wants to do it!" She says this of course when I am pleading with her to complete some work I see as totally necessary for her educational advancement.
I often think about her statement, "I will do it when my brain wants to do it." Some may think she is being manipulative. I sometimes think she is manipulating me! Or some say, "How will she ever keep a job or be disciplined if she does not learn how to do things even when she does not want to do them?" Could it be possible her brain just can not do them at that time? It seems likely and she knows this better than me.
At these times I find myself interested in Unschooling. I will even admit that we lead a very 'unschooled' sort of life. If Maizie has an interest in something I provide her with everything possible to learn more, read more, write and draw, experience more. I have found myself doing this as Maizie's resistance to sit down school work continued.
Through it all I have noticed that Maizie requires one on one time for learning. The time spent with her tutor is money well spent. She may not always complete the homework but I do believe she is learning regardless. The process is slow and daunting for the tutor, me and Maizie but we see some progress. I always have to remind myself that we have seen a great deal of progress since we pulled Maizie out of public schooling.
Our lives have become more enjoyable, relaxed and much happier since stopping formal schooling. I believe this has to be due to the reduction in constant stimulus and expectations beyond Maizie's grasp. So, why do I continually torture myself and Maizie by expecting her to sit and do work in the same way we would do it in a regular classroom?
I have also come to realize that Maizie's best teacher may be herself. I find her reading books and discovering things on her own. She comes up with ideas, dreams and plays like she has never done before. I have to attribute this to having the time, the quiet and the safety to be who she truly is.
So on a day like today when we are lounging around being silly, eating, reading, watching Faerie Tale Theatre, playing the computer and seemingly accomplishing a bunch of nothing....well, I just have to believe that Maizie is learning at these times too.
On days like this I could push Maizie and try to force her to do what she does not want to do or I can choose to sit back and play along, see where she takes me and what ideas and fun she has planned. Usually, I choose to sit back and let her be who she is and do what she needs to do. It is never easy when I know most other kids are sitting at desks and completing work that can be graded and measured for exactly what it is. I am envious of the orderliness of that. Envious of the simplicity of following curriculum that fits the child's age and skills. For Maizie, nothing is that simple. Everything has to be continually tweaked, reworked, sometimes rewritten and broken down to the most simple of steps. I find it exhausting so is it possible Maizie finds it even more tiring?
So today when Joe gets home from work and asks what we did today at least I know he will understand when I say, "Well, we did a bunch of nothing and by doing that I think we did everything necessary for today."

Maizie was in the second grade in these pictures.



15 comments:
OH I think you've captured the "homeschooling a special-needs child" dilemma exactly! I've been reading snippets lately which lead me to feel strongly that the LAST thing I should try to give Nik is the experience of a typical American school; I mean, that's why I took him out, right?
Have you ever read anything about the theory of multiple intelligences? Howard Gardner. Here's link to a Wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences
The gistis that people lern in different ways and each one is right. It's about finding the ways to teach to their ways of learning. This is NOT what the typical American school does at all! You may find you are both happier if you have a less formal approach. Do you belong to a homeschooling group? If so, ask them for suggestions. If not, or if they all say "do it just like school," find a(nother) group that can support you to teach Mazie in the way that supports her.
Don't give up!
I think Maizie has got it right..."I will do it when my brain wants to do it!"...
By having Maizie learn in an environment where she feels safe and comfortable, you are giving her the best opportunity for success, and to learn what is important in life. There is nothing more important than experiencing what life has to offer, and learning about things that have an interest and purpose to you (herself).
The reading, writing and maths will come on days when she is ready and interested. I tend to think there is no point in pushing - a willing student always learns 100x better than one that is forced to do something they don't want to (as all of us as parent's of children with autism know for sure!!!).
xx
Holidays are not easy on Charlie. The changes in the other children's behaviors---excited about the parties etc. --- really affects him. His current teachers take this very much into account and keep things very orderly and Charlie likes the routine of school. From your blog, there are plenty of socializing and learning experiences with Maizie, for sure! Charlie and I have afternoons just as you describe---hanging around doing this and that, going for a walk, a car ride (it's very exciting around here........), playing piano. But I am sure that he is learning all the time----even to, as you note with Maizie, teaching himself.
It's never easy, and I don't think it's specialized to special needs, although I'm sure it's magnified. I think this time of year is particularly hard. DS' brain seemed to go on vacation once Thanksgiving ended :-). Having been a teacher, and having lots of friends who are teachers, I know that's part of the deal; Thanksgiving to Christmas are infinitely long to a child and so we all suffer.
I've changed up our routine as a result. Not stopped schooling entirely, but twisted things. Just when you think you're in a groove, they throw everything on its head.
I'm sure you're suffering from your friend getting her job as well. Any uplift in the social calendar causes self doubt; what if this is the end of our social life as we know it? It will work out, but there will be . . . adjustment.
Good luck.
Niksmom-I have not read Howard Gardner. I will look into that. I don't want to copy typical American schools either. Far from it but I go through phases where I wonder if I am doing as well as they would. Thanks for the info!
Elissa- Thanks for being so encouraging. I am really enjoying your blog posts. Positive encouraging words is what I love!
Kristina-Charlie sounds a lot like Maizie. Wish we were closer we could go for a drive with you! Very exciting lives indeed!
Holly-Very true! Thanks for reminding me of the change in my social calendar. I had not even been thinking about that. It is a layer of saddness I just pushed down.
My hat is off to every homeschooling mother!
Hi Marla,
I followed you over here from a comment on Elizabeth's blog. I homeschool two kids. I mainly unschool them, and I am in a large group of unschoolers. It is amazing what these kids grow into doing, most of them have started taking college classes early, and others are happily following their interests and then blooming later. I'm not trying to sell you on the idea of unschooling at all. I'm just saying that I know you are doing great things for your daughter and that you will be amazed several years from now to see what she grows into.
We all go through the are we doing a good job phases. I'm always glad to hear a fellow homeschooler remind me that it is a good solid choice.
Best wishes to you and your family.
(I have a blog it's bloodmysteries.com if you are interested. Google won't let me link to it though.)
Stepping Over- Thanks! All mothers are incredible!
Em-So glad you found me. I will hop over to your blog soon! I would love to hear about your Unschooling! Thank you. Please visit again!
hang in there Marla!
we have days like that. i try to focus on some main "core" have to get done-subjects, and dont sweat the rest if we're having a bad day.
by encouraging maizie's interests, she will learn through them i'm sure
So tough to weigh everything equally...and accurately. What is best for a family that just feels homeschooling is better for those kids is different for a special needs family...and yes, the environment needs to be tweaked for your child. If you, her tutors, and her learning all say she's where she needs to be, then so be it.
I like to think the rest works itself out later...who knows, maybe she'll want to go back to traditional school at a later date, maybe a special school for super special little girls. ;-)
I'm sorry I didn't comment on this early as I was (and am) still trying to sort out my feelings. In most circumstances, I am against the vast movement of home schooling which is done for religious reasons (simply because I saw the results of the last generation; I was in some way a PART of the last generation - and kids still turn into teenagers and still go wild when they want to rebel).
On the other hand, Maizie does have special needs, needs which your local school does not seem able to accommedate (sic). It is also important to remember that in most cases aides within the school are less trained and get paid for behavoir control, not for educational or other advancements (meaning, what they want and what is best for Maizie are not always the same - the training to be a classroom aid for someone with aspbergers spectrum disorder here is three days; to get a secondary teaching degree takes six years).
But, as is obvious from reading your blog is that Maizies ability to interact in social settings, to have a series of levels and coping skills for each level is directly linked to a) your one to one interaction and love of Maizie and b) your consistancy within home schooling (and your tutors). So home schooling has definately (in my limited view from your blog posts) opened up MORE opportunities for Maizie.
I guess I have to ask if you have seen the film Etre Et Avoir which is about a rural one room schoolhouse which I think is sort of a mid step between where Maizie is now and the "american school system" She is, after all, still nine and there are so many options open if you wish some form of limited mix of home and 'traditional' schooling such as trying out a day camp which can work with Maizie's stimulation needs during a summer or participating in a private school for one or two classes (actually this sort of participation was available at my elementary school in LA but I think that was a very enlightened school and different times).
Anyway, is Maizie learning? Well, yes! But remember, one the one hand children are incapable of NOT learning at that age but also, what do you remember from your first four years of school? Not very much I am guessing. Which is why "Traditional" schools often teach the same thing, year after year after year - the same basic you are working on, like math.
But, how about this, we all like to think we are educated adults right, yet most of us, I am guessing cannot tell you right away what letter comes after (insert letter here) without SINGING the alphabet song. Want to know how S-T-R-W-U-V are aligned...sing the song. So even we have some odd learning styles too.
Amanda, Great advice! Acknowledging her interests when she is all excited is the key, I agree.
Jerry- I like the idea of a school for super special little girls! So cute! Your little girl would have to go too! We will consider traditional schooling in the future. I guess we just have to wait and see how she continues to progress.
Eliz-Thank you so much for taking such time to process and write on this topic. I appreciate your honesty on your outlook on homeschooling. If you ask any of my friends they would agree that I was not a parent that sought out homeschooling. If someone would have said, "You will be homeschooling your child one day." I would have died laughing. I really appreciate my alone time for artowork and hanging out with friends so to sacrifice a lot of that was a super big deal for me.
However, I have found ways to get togethehr with friends without child. Getting art done is still a huge challenge.
I don't have any problem with others homeschooling though. If it works.
Anyway,I agree with what you are saying about aides in the classroom. Anyone can be an aide. It is easier and eaiser here for anyone to teach special needs kids too.
It is funny you mention that movie. I saw a preview for it the other night and added it to my NetFlix. I am looking forward to seeing it. We watched a movie making fun of high school, a fake documentary the other night called Chalk. You may enjoy that.
Very true what you say about learning styles. On a side note...about the piano. Maizie may be able to read notes better than learn by ear. I have made the music sheets available to her and explained it to her and she is kind of teaching herself a bit. Should be interesting. As for listening and processing by ear I don't think she has that ability.
Thanks again!
Marla: I am glad Maizie is still keeping on with the piano (which by the way is a good way to teach simple fractions as well as pre-calc). As I said in the email, I have the same problem, and I think the visual stimulous/action link is one that worked well for me and if it works for her can be used for lots of other things too, it is two hands which is going to be a real problem - ahhhh!
Eliz-Yes! You are so right about the two hands! How did you know? She is working hard at it. Sometimes she will put on the "beats" and different sounds the keyboard has and dance. She loves it! It sure does take up a lot of room though.:)
I am guessing that one day, Maizie will thank you profusely for not sticking her in public/formal school and for acknowledging her needs for learning on her own time "when her brain is ready".
by the time I was in the 4th grade (I am autistic and was undiagnosed at the time) I was begging/pleading on a daily basis to be homeschooled, get me out of the over stimulating environment, but was ignored, was told I was just going to have to deal with it and stop being manipulative. I love to learn, but had a miserable time in the large school environment.
Anyway, best of luck in your adventures, I hope it all works out.
Post a Comment