Monday, December 17, 2007

Random Acts of Kindness

Maizie and I signed up for the Bloggers Unite Random Acts of Kindness. We did not plan anything ahead of time but decided to just go about our day and see what random acts we could come up with. Once we were focused on looking for opportunities they seemed to present themselves wherever we went.

Of course considering the weather and Maizie's lack of willingness to walk on snow or ice our options were somewhat limited.

This morning we were pretty much stuck at home waiting for our new counter top to be delivered. Joe and I worked together last night emptying out cupboards and removing the old counter. My parents gave us their old cast iron sink. I love it! Our kitchen sure looks warmer with this new counter and sink. Next we need to install wood flooring. Wahoo. Joe managed to get everything done with no major injuries or cursing. We were gone running errands during most of the work so maybe there was cursing? The world may never know.
By mid morning Maizie and I bundled up and made our way to the library. Everything was pretty well shoveled but Maizie began repeating this phrase wherever we walked, "I'm scared. I'm scared." She holds on to me and acts like we are climbing Mount Everest every time we have snow or ice to walk over. Maizie's sense of balance has always been way off kilter.

I had a few of books on hold. Maizie loves to find our books on hold and put the books in our bin. Next, we move on to see if there are any decent movies to check out. Maizie found a few and was trying to put them in our bin with her mittens on. She began laughing and laughing since she could not grip the movies and kept dropping them.

After that we move on to the children's' book section. Maizie often refuses to pick out the books herself but does enjoy reading whatever I put in the bin. Today she said, "I do not want any books today." I stood there not knowing what to think. I said, "Why?" Maizie said, "I just don't. Please don't ask me again." Okay. We checked out and were on our way.

At Mc Donalds Maizie and I talked about doing our first random act of kindness. I wanted to do something very random. Which, to me meant doing something for someone I did not know and whom I would get no acknowledgment from. So, after we payed for our order we payed for the woman's order behind us.

I explained to Maizie what we were going to do and why. She seemed very confused by this action. When I ask her about it now she thinks I paid the woman who handed us the happy meal and that there is no way I could have paid for another person's meal. I explained to her over and over that I was paying for the ladies meal in the car directly behind us. Maizie kept saying, "No...you paid the lady at the window for MY happy meal and that is it!" I have tried several different ways to explain what we did and Maizie just does not get it. In fact, she gets a bit hostile about it. Oh, well...it was a random act of kindness and I must say that for me it was a total rush. Her meal was not an expensive one but when I glanced back in the mirror and saw the cashier refusing her money I felt a wave of excitement rush over me. I have never done this particular act of kindness before. It was so much fun!

Our next errand was to the post office to mail a letter to our sponsor child in Bolivia. Maizie has been writing her letters for a few years now and we always send something special at Christmas time. I forgot that it is the week before Christmas...the worst time to go to the post office. The line was ghastly. There was a new machine there where you could purchase stamps on your own. About four people were waiting to use it in comparison to the twenty five or so people in the long line. Maizie and I waited patiently despite there being no room to breathe. I thought for sure Maizie would panic but she did well.

Finally, it was our turn. We purchased our two books of stamps and stepped aside to put them on our letter to Marcela. A man was in line behind us. The woman helping with the new machine said, "Sir, what do you need to purchase." He said, "I just need two stamps. Nothing more." I saw his face drop as she said, "I am sorry. You can only purchase books of stamps here. You will need to go to that line over there." She pointed to the line from hell and I thought he was going to cry.

I saw our chance. "Sir. Please take these two stamps." He was thrilled and handed me a dollar to cover them. I said, "No. Our treat today." The guy laughed and said, "Nope. Take the dollar and buy your little girl some ice cream." Before I knew it he had set the dollar bill on the table and was gone. The random act of kindness was refused and somehow reversed. Maizie was totally into this scene and wanted me to repeat what happened several more times before reaching home.

Our final stop was to buy Joe a Chai Latte at Starbucks. This was Maizie's idea of an act of kindness for Daddy. Joe was thrilled with his yummy snack. As soon as we entered the kitchen Maizie said, "Tell him what happened at the post office!" I repeated the story again while Maizie was all grins.

Who knows what the rest of the day will bring. I am sure more opportunities will present themselves to us as the day goes on. I would like to think I am a person who looks for the opportunity to be kind often. I typically think the best acts are those you do in secret but in the spirit of this blogging event I had to share a few. Today is teaching me that there are certainly times when I am probably tuned out to things I could be doing to bring a little kindness to someone else's day. And in doing so I am truly feeling the kindness bouncing right back at me. I love it. Maizie says she has some random acts of kindness planned for me. I can't wait!

20 comments:

Ms. TK said...

I love your blog and Maizie's blog, too! She reminds me so much of my dear Miss M.

I LOVE your random acts of kindness. What a great lesson to teach your girl.

VAB said...

Sounds like a wonderful day for both you and Maizie. I once tried doing an act of kindness once a week for a while. The restriction was that the person on the receiving end must not be able to find out. It's quite hard but fun.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great day you two had! Good for you! I'm inspired to "pay it forward" myself. I'm really not as shallow as you think I am! LOL Makes me think of the Secret Santa story on the news the other night. He went to a homeless shelter and handed out $100 bills. Neat! Did you say to Maizie that they lady didn't have to pay for her food because you already did? I'm trying to think of ways to explain...more to come.

Melissa Jo said...

i'm inspired! i'm going to do some random acts tomorrow! i like the idea of no one knowing, but at the same time it'd be hard not to tell people! is that selfish? i dunno.i guess i want to tell people cause it gives my heart that little tickle of excitement, and you stories really inspired me. i have some ideas up my sleeve now! we should have a contest on who can b be the most creative and totally randomly bizarre? hee hee!

kristina said...

So inspirational! Charlie and I have to get to work.

DJ Kirkby said...

I love dit when your rnadom act of kindness got reversed, beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

You sound like a really nice person. With class. Which is why I'm totally baffled why you frequent Stepping's site.

Stepping Over the Junk said...

I love this day of yours and love how Maizie was a part of it!!! You two are wonderful!

Sheri said...

What a fabulous learning experience! What a great mommy!

katy said...

what a great day full of kindness and love well done to you both

Marla said...

Thank you for all of your great comments. We had a great time doing random acts of kindness. WE plan to try and keep the momentum going!

Elizabeth McClung said...

Thanks for the description of the trip to the library and of the random acts of kindness. The stamp one was a good example of how, if you are ready, kindness just springs itself upon you.

If I had to get I would say that Maizie was upset at the drive through because there is an ORDER to the drive thru - indeed the drive through is done the same way: you choose what you want, you tell them, you drive to the window, you get what you want, you get what you asked for - there is a consistancy, an order - you threatened the order, you did something that not only wasn't in YOUR list of order but you attacked the whole system and ruined the order for the person behind you - this is not the way drive thru works.

I don't know if that made any sense.

Marla said...

Eliz-You are so right. You so get it. Maizie loves order to her day. For all I know the process of purchasing the Happy Meal could be the best part for her!

Pregnantly Plump said...

What a nice day! I didn't do any random acts of kindness today, but an extremely nice man really helped me out at the post office. I had to carry a huge box to mail, along with a 10-month-old. The box was too big to carry with one hand, so I had to use our stroller. It was still really awkward and I was dreading finding a way to open the door with a stroller and a huge box. A man came out at just the right time, took my box and took it up to the post office desk for me! How great is that? It really helped us get this little task done.
Thanks for visiting my blog! Little Elvis is his nickname, but it definitely suits him.

Melissa Jo said...

have you looked at your counter?
cool.

Jen P said...

Oh, man! Blogger ate my comment!

Short version: way to go - it will come back to you tenfold!

Jeane said...

I love this entry, you are an awesome Mom, I am so proud of you! Generousity is a wonderful virtue because it gives both ways...Love Mom

Kelly said...

I love Random Acts of Kindness! My hubby and I have tried to do something everytime we go out Christmas shopping. My favorite was buying a hot cup of coffee for the bell ringer outside of Macy's. It was freezing, how could we not? I heart this post:)

tulipmom said...

Such a great post! You've inspired me too. I think I'm going to designate one of the days SB has off for Christmas vacation as "Random Act of Kindness Day." I'll let you know how it goes.

Marla said...

Pregnantly Plump- What a great story! I love it when things like that happen!


Melissa-I try not to look!


Jen P- Blogger can be a real pain some days!

Grandma- So true! I loved hearing your random acts of kindness story the other day! Wonderful! You are so sweet!

Kelly-Thanks so much for visiting! I read the start of your blog! Please keep us posted on your new adventure! I will be thinking of you! Yesterday we we pulled out the stove and cleaned under it! I found a picture of you and your hubby! Too funny! I love that you guys do random acts of kindness as a couple! Awesome!

Tulip mom-Great! I love to inspire! I can't wait to hear how it goes! I gotta come up with another act of kindness soon. Like my mom said, "I think they just 'hit you' and you choose to go with it." Very true!