Saturday, April 26, 2008

Chloe Takes us to the SPCA

Yesterday Maizie and I had the honor of taking Chloe to her volunteer work at the SPCA. Chloe was excited to introduce us to her kitty friends. There are four rooms of cats and kittens. Each room has lots of cat beds and interesting toys. Everything was amazingly clean and well organized. We were told to used hand sanitizer in between each room. I had to remind Maizie to keep her hands off of her face due to her allergies. That was easier said than done. This experience was worth a little allergy rash. Inside each room there is a book that has a picture of each cat and information about their personality. Maizie loved these books. She made a point of matching each photo with the cat. There are a few with stories about the cats history.
As you can see Maizie found this information very interesting. After reading the book Chloe and Maizie would spend time with each cat.

I am sure if these Kitty's could talk they would share amazing stories of survival with us. If Maizie was not allergic to cats I bet she would have been wanting to bring one home. Luckily, she knows her limits.
Smarty is seen above loving up to Maizie. This is the cat Chloe warned us about. She came over to us all friendly like so Maizie began petting her. Within seconds she was hissing and scratching at Maizie. A sudden change of heart? Despite her attitude she appears to be one of Chloe's favorite cats to talk about. Maybe in time Smarty will become more trusting. If not, it is good to know he has a safe home at the SPCA.
The orange cat above is named Peter. Peter breaths like Darth Vader. I asked Chloe what that was about and she said he has a cold. I am sure there is an interesting story behind this cat's unique breathing. There was something precious about the sound of it. I wondered if the cat's chances of being adopted were lower due to this interesting difference in breathing? Needless to say, I was drawn to this orange cat with the unique breathing. If we were up for adopting a cat that one would have been mine.
Chloe looks forward to the day when she can have a kitty of her own. Chloe's dog Boomer is possibly a little too excited about cats so her mom has helped her find this wonderful outlet for her love of kitties. Chloe's passion for cats is equal to Maizie's passion for dogs. My other favorite cat was Happy seen above.
After lots of kisses the girls passed out kitty treats. Some of the cats don't trust people and I am sure if they could talk we would understand why. So, giving them each a snack and talking to them a bit helps them gradually build trust towards humans.

Chloe and her mother Susie have inspired Maizie and me to look into working with dogs at the SPCA. The training is pretty intense so I am not sure how Maizie will do. The coordinator said we are welcome to give it a try and see how it goes.

Susie has turned a corner and is finally able to get out of bed after her hip replacement surgery! Almost six days of being in a bed would drive even the most patient a bit crazy. Yesterday Susie had a procedure to block the blood clot from traveling. The massive bleeding and blood clot have brought up some other health concerns that will need to be addressed. It seems nothing is ever straight forward. I am thankful for your prayers. Please pray for Susie's continued improvement through the arduous physical therapy she is now enduring.

I am also thankful for the last seven days. Maizie has not had any episodes of vomiting. She has had three mornings where she required extra sleep but she did not go into an episode. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

10 comments:

Niksmom said...

What a lovely post! Maizie looks fabulous; I am glad to read she's not had any episodes this week. Her eyes look brighter and less shadowed in these pictures. :-) Of course, the joy of being with the animals could have something to do with that, too!

I hope you are able to get Maizie involved with the SPCA dogs; that sounds like it would be a great outlet for her.

Hope you are getting time to yourself and time with Joe, too!

Unknown said...

So much good news! What a neat place for -anyone-, but especially kids. I'm so happy to hear your friend is feeling better, and the Maizie is also feeling well this past week. I'll keep them both in my prayers. Have a nice Sunday :)

DJ Kirkby said...

That pic of Chloe kissing the cat brought tears to my eyes. How wonderful that she does volunteer work. Nice to hear Mazie enjoyed herself and that her vomiting has eased fro a few days.

Anonymous said...

That's cool. At our local shelter, you need to be an adult to volunteer (well, over 16); it's nice they let kids work there too.

I'm glad to hear our friend, and Maizie are improving.

Pregnantly Plump said...

What a great idea that Chloe's mom had about working with the SPCA. I have always been a cat person and would have really enjoyed something like that as a child. I think I'll look into it here when Little Elvis is a little older. We think he's going to be a dog person, though. So maybe we'll do the dog side of things.
I'm so glad Maizie's had a great week, and that your friend is doing better.

kristina said...

Keeping our fingers crossed here too! It's really great to read about this and about the possibility of Maizie doing some volunteer work---I wish Charlie was not so nervous about animals, but being around them more might help.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way for kids to be involved with pets!

And I'm so glad M's had some episode free days! Praying that there will be many more.

Melissa Jo said...

volunteering looks like tons of fun! i bet maizie would like that. but what about when she comes to visit them and they aren't there? would that be hard for her? i couldn't do it. i would have a house full of dogs and cats and ferrets and bunnies, etc when it was all said and done! ha!

Bonnie said...

This is such an awesome experience! How lucky you were to go and meet and learn all about these wonderful creatures. My hubby and I are big cat people, and despite our son's lack on interest in our cats, I think he might be too! But I sure he was as enthused as these little girls! What a cool experience. How many did you want to take home? ; D

Anonymous said...

Marla~
Oh I love these photos! So precious, every one. Makes me really miss those kits. Thanks for understanding how important this work is to Chloe and for going the EXTRA mile to take her there in my place...you are wonderful.

Love,
Susie

P.S. I'm still upstairs..."Breakin' the law...breakin' the law"...wasn't that from Beavis and Butthead?