The First Ever World Autism Day
Today is the first ever World Autism Day. Hmmmm.....I bet everyone visiting my blog knows that. And from doing my regular "blog hopping" I see that everyone is writing about it too! Very good.
I am going to link to a few very important posts that I have read recently that tie into my most recent posts.
I am learning a great deal from those who have the most to teach...adults who have Autism in common with my daughter. They are opening my eyes and making it clear to me that I have a lot more to learn.
Sheila Schoonmaker wrote an article titled Eye-Non Contact Explained. Yes! First hand knowledge of this highly debated issue. I appreciate posts like this because it gives me insight and the "whys" of something from someone who has experience with it. As a parent I want to learn from Sheila so that I can better understand my daughter. I may not always agree but I value the opinions of adults with Autism and have found they help me understand and act in a way that is positive for Maizie.
Another eye opening post was written by Kassiane at The Rettdevil's Rants. The post is called Some things to keep in mind during autism "awareness" month. I must admit with Autism Awareness Month I am all ready feeling a tad bombarded with the media's ongoing portrayal of Autism. I am always conflicted with the reports I watch. When I read Kassiane's post I realized that everyone sees this month differently.
I began to wonder what my daughter thinks of the signs she sees hanging all over Toys R Us and the news stories on magazines and television every time you turn around.
For me, it is a lot to take in.
Maizie is the greatest gift God has ever entrusted me with. I plan to soak in every moment, to baske in this beautiful child God sent to me for a time.
Tonight we had a wonderful evening. Maizie was happy and playful as we went out for dinner and then to Target to so she could pick out a new bed spread. Guess what she picked out? A Hannah Montana bedspread.
Tonight as she curled up in her new cozy bed coverings she said, "Mom do I look good in my Hannah blanket?"
I smiled and said, "You are my Super Star. You are beautiful! No doubt about it. The star on my Christmas tree...the creme in my Cadbury Egg....you are my sunshine on a cloudy day...." Okay...you get the picture.



18 comments:
I know what you mean about seeing autism signs, etc. everywhere this month.
Perusing today's mail, SB started asking questions about a flyer advertising an Autism Walk. He noticed a bunch of people carrying an autism banner. I "chickened out" and explained that they were walking to raise money to help people. I felt like it was the perfect opportunity and I blew it. I sort of rationalized that it was something we should be discussing as a family, but truthfully, I was just too unsure of what to say.
Maizie is beautiful, Marla... there certainly is no doubt about it!!
And thank you for the links - I too am learning alot from others. xx
I'm so glad to hear she's feeling better and praying it lasts... that was just the sweetest conversation. She's a precious girl!
I'll bet her new bedspread looks awesome!
YOU, Marla, are the cream in MY coffee!
Have a great day.
Mazie is one cool kid, with an awesome Mom! Happy World Autism Day (belatedly)
My 9 y/o son likes Hannah Montana too. :o)
I'm glad Maizie is feeling better and the new bedspread sounds great. Children are such a wonderful gift.
I still need to catch up on your blog but it's nice to know you were able to go out with Maizie for dinner and to Target. She's an amazing girl.
Marla,
Maizie is an amazing girl because she has amazing parents! People don't like others on the autism spectrum as much who grow up without kind, understanding, and accepting parents.
You aren't the only one who has a lot more to learn. Those who don't think they do are usually the ones most ignorant.
It's wonderful when people want to know the "whys" of something! Why don't more people want that?
I know that for others to learn from my experiences in life is not easy or quick. Besides my being odd because of a neuro-A-typical brain structure, I can tend to be very different even among other Aspies. That's both a good and bad thing.
The good part about being a little extra unusual among a group of aspies (actually all aspies are unique just like NTs are) is that it will make the Asperger traits (nature/genetic) stand out better in contrast to the other traits (nurture/environment) developed because of upbringing and life experience.
The bad part about the above is that in order for others to separate what's Autism Spectrum related verses what's not an AS trait in me, takes time and effort; plus, it demands patience to not make hasty judgments.
That's why I want to focus on writing what I know is related to my aspieness verses what's not. I'm hoping that when others don't agree with me, it's not because of lacking understanding and/or lacking acceptance of how different an AS mind thinks.
My daughter is 25 yrs. old and she just now finally understands me... thanks to what she has learned about autism and aspergers in the past year or two. Her husband is just beginning to understand me, but there is still a lot he cannot 'grasp' about me which makes it difficult for him to believe what my daughter tells him. She is very familiar with how much work it takes to learn why people, who are not typical, are so different.
I told her that she is extra-rare in many ways. For starters, there are very few women on the autism spectrum who have grown-up daughters that are neurotypical AND that have a good close relationship with their NT daughter.
If you think that you learn a lot from Maizie, you have no idea how much I learn from my daughter and visa versa! It's awesome! And the benefits from the communication that goes on between my daughter and I have yet to be written about on the internet because most people cannot know what that's like!
If there could be only one message for the world to hear in regards to autism, this would be it:
TWO-WAY COMMUNICATION with complete acceptance and respect for differences!
Where is the most hope for understanding autism? LOVE! Donated money to charities cannot come anywhere near as close to bridging the gap between the NT world and AS world as donating time towards both sides getting to know one another better.
Marla,
Such a beautiful post, and thanks for the links.
I totally get what you mean. All of my girls are the best thing that has ever happened to me. Even on the most difficult days, with Melanie, I would not trade being her mother for anything in this world. She is a beautiful gift to me, and I thank God for her everyday. I learn so much from her, she teaches me so much about life and about myself.
When the tough times come, I hold on really tight to her and am so thankful for God and for friends like you.
XOXOXO
PS You all can come hang out in my backyard ANY time! Four legged friends are most welcome too.
Maizie is a quite the special gift...her heart is so so big and she has so much to teach us all. She will always be my special peanut :) i'm glad she loves her new bedspread :) it's nice to feel cozy in bed :)
K.C. and Big Brother both like to watch Hannah Montana on the Disney Channel! Thanks for the links, I am going to check them out.
I'm not only feeling bombarded---I'm wondering about the message being sent from all the media stories, especially to an autistic person---especially to our kids! It's not like other people are treating them special or differently because of the month---- maybe too much is too much?
Hannah Montana has also invaded the braincells of my girl. I think I can practically sing her songs now after hearing my girl play it on TOO often the past weeks.
Hope this weekend will be a good one for all of you at home :)
It has been a phenomenal day, support and interest from all over the world. I am writing about Amy on most of my posts throughout April.
Crystal xx
It is all very conflicking out there. Its not autism awarness month in the UK so we are not being bombarded.
Maizie certainly is a sunshine!
You know, when Demetrius was diagnosed in 2003, we had alot of explaining to do to alot of people - awareness of autism was just low, a blip on the radar screen of medical disorders... It was as bad as finding out, trying to explain it to people, they would just kind of stare and try to take it in..social disorders? Flapping?
Sigh...frustrating and very, very lonely at times.
But now, heck - I'll take the signs everywhere. Yea, I've pounded on Jenny McCarthy (I'm sure it won't be the last time either) but for the most part I'm glad the awareness isn't so low...and now I have people approach me to 'clarify their thinking'....
Oh, and by the way, the tooth fairy did visit Maya!
That is a gorgeous picture- very artsy!
it's been so refreshing for me to come on the internet/blogosphere and see people that are against these images, this type of awareness. what i hate i think the most is how all these awareness things say/assume that they're speaking for ALL people so even as a radical disability activist, you start believing it.
Post a Comment