Monday, November 16, 2009

Just Not Feeling It or Feeling Too Much. So I Knit.

I finished my first knitting project last week. A cozy blue and brown scarf. Soon I take a class to make a matching blue hat. This weekend I began making a doll blanket for my sister Melissa's little girl Alex. Since I don't know how to read a pattern yet I am making it up as I go in a totally relaxed way. This is called "grunge" or "flow knitting". Thankfully, I don't expect Alex to be too critical of the finished product.

Life is moving along and I feel as if I am moving forward at a snails pace. This is not necessarily a bad thing but it can be uncomfortable. Rebuilding my foundation, letting go of the past and moving forward requires me to find that part of myself that has been missing for quite some time.

Art work is not happening but knitting is. I want so badly to be producing art. This lack of productivity frustrates me to no end.

Knitting has taken over and I have to believe that it serves a purpose for now. Writing is not where I want it to be either! Argh. I want to blog and nothing is there. Breathe Marla. Breathe.

Instead, I want to be knitting all the time.

I came across this passage in a book titled,"The Knitting Goddess" by Deborah Bergman.

"It became apparent that as I knitted yarn, I was also naturally knitting myself together and also nurturing myself with one of the most appropriate metaphors, and also physical realities, that I could have chosen for myself. I was not only knitting together a garment, but also the seen and unseen, the solid and the evanescent, the conscious and the unconscious and light and dark in myself."

This writing made sense to me because I have never thought of myself as someone who would knit. And yet, recently I was drawn to knitting and now I can't stop. When I am knitting my mind works and rests. Thoughts and memories come and go. Sometimes images/memories are intense. My hands begin to knit quickly and my mind runs and runs and then gradually something is discovered, remembered or let go. I am more interested in what I am finding through knitting.

There are no words for these knitting revelations. Not yet anyway.

9 comments:

zunzun said...

I learned how to knit last year when my mother was diagnosed w/ cancer...one mastectomy and remission period later I'm grateful that I had something like this to occupy my hands and my mind...I too felt like I was "knitting" myself together (I was feeling like I was unraveling...couldn't keep myself together w/ the fear of losing her)

Casdok said...

I make rugs which has a similar affect on me.
Love the colours of your scarf.

Niksmom said...

IMO, the healing taking place is more important than any words which may come later. :-) We're here, we're enjoying seeing the beautiful fruite of your healing, erm,knitting. :-) xo

Deb said...

I knit in the winter too Marla and also sew/quilt... your quote is perfect... You are coming off a very intense year... your art will come again... it's never really left... just hibernating for the moment.

Knitting is theraputic... knitting is nesting... knitting is a place you can unravel... to disengage or separate the threads of; to disentangle; to cause to come apart by or as if by separating the threads of; to resolve the intricacy, complexity, or obscurity of; to clear up

If you need any more knitting assistance I'd be happy to help even if it's helping the girls with their projects... I'm close by and would be happy to meet up with you... to knit one purl one... or to share conversation or a meal... can look through my stash of yarns and probably find some that can be shared...

Ashley's Mom said...

The scarf is beautiful, and it is art!

Club 166 said...

What Ashley's Mom said...

While reading your post, I was thinking that rather than leaving your art behind, you are merely expanding your repetoire by adding a new medium.

Whenever one takes up any new art, one must first learn the basics, repeatedly study the basics, and learn the rules that govern the art. Then they get to explore the art and bend the rules.

You're at the beginning stages of expanding into a new art. And as Ashley's Mom notes, you're doing quite well. Enjoy the ride.

Joe

Pregnantly Plump said...

That makes a lot of sense to me. I'm glad you found something that's so stimulating, yet relaxing for you. And the scarf looks really cool!
(We're also in a period of unknowing. It's been a long week and it's only Tuesday!)

Marla said...

You are all so sweet and supportive! Thank you very very very much!

i said...

The scarf is lovely! Wish I could knit but just don't have the patience LOL.