Movies About High School
Maizie is watching High School Musical Two....again. Why don't they make any movies like Pretty In Pink, The Breakfast Club or Some Kind of Wonderful? You know the ones that show a tad more reality of what school is really like. Kids being alienated while others strive to remain popular amidst major peer pressure? The typical story of the loner trying to survive or get the popular kid to fall for them. Okay, maybe those plots are just as lame...just as contrived. I still found them easier to relate too though. All of these were made by John Hughes. Where is he when we need him? Possibly things are just too out of control now and he does not even want to touch the obstacles young people face today. Sticking to Beethoven movies or Home Alone may seem a tad bit safer to Mr. Hughes.
Every time we watch High School Musical I find myself explaining to Maizie that school really is not like what you see in the movie. Not everyone is so....cute, nice, rich, clean, smart or healthy. She just looks at me like I have lost it. I don't think she really cares. Maizie just loves the music, the dancing and the bright colors...the fashion.
We had our thirteen year old nephew over one night and I forced him to watch Pretty In Pink. He did not survive even thirty minutes before he was begging me to turn it off. He complained it was sooooooo boring! I guess maybe that is just too girly of a movie. Now his age group enjoys American Pie and Eurotrip and few others that are way more crazy then anything I remember seeing. Even these are not as 'school centered'.
Possibly there have been lots of cooler school based movies that I don't even know about. Maybe I am just too out of it now. I suppose there was Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen or Mean Girls...hmmmm....Sleepover (that was kinda cute, no depth like the old ones though).....Bratz The Movie....gadz. I guess there really are not any movies like from the 80's. Am I wrong in thinking they were way cooler and more fun than the movies of today? Or am I just getting old? What do you think?




7 comments:
Im with you! So must be getting old to!!
I tend to think these high school movies are generational....Elvis or Annette Funnichello beach movies from the 50s just won't impact me the same way that a John Hughes or Cameron Crowe movie would...and some would say Crowe is beginning to lose his way as his audience is now approaching their 40s!
So its not you - its not them.....it's just different. But it doesn't mean you can enjoy a little Uncle Buck or Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
Yeah, very good point. I totally do not get into those beach movies. The funny thing is Maizie loves those.
Have to say I'm a die hard 'Grease' fan! I think I must be getting old too - today's school based movies just don't do it for me!
I know. I just can't relate to them either.
Beauty I am afraid is a High School Musical girl but the 16 year old loves 80's Coming of Age films and absolutely loves The Breakfast Club.
Who couldn't?
That is awesome that a teen now is loving The Breakfast Club! I was worried they all thought those movies were lame now. Very cool.
Post a Comment