Saturday, December 22, 2007

Autistic Boy's Christmas Light Spectacular!

We were watching CNN today when we saw a segment on a boy in San Diego about Maizie's age. His name is Brandon Schimka. The photo above was taken from an article on the family you can read HERE.

Brandon and his father create a spectacular light display during the Christmas holiday. The photos they showed looked amazing!

I love that the father and son work on this together, a mega project! Very inspiring! Brandon is fascinated with lights. Maizie is too. She is always asking why we don't have any lights up like our friends and neighbors down the street. I am sure if she was able to visit Brandon's amazing display we would never hear the end of it.
This is another positive example of an autistic child and his family doing something to reach out to others. What a great way to send a message and learn together.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great thing to do. Lovely photo. Does Maizie not become affected by some lights? I can't stand the flashing ones or the blue LED ones.

Crystal xx

kristina said...

Gorgeous----we drove down a street festooned with colored, bright balls and strings of lights and Charlie was rapt looking around. Thanks for finding this!

Drama Mama said...

I loved the story. Loved his parents. Great kid.

Thank you for a lift today --

Anonymous said...

I love stories like this too!!
It's wonderful to celebrate these sorts of things - thanks for sharing Marla!
xx

Marla said...

Crystal-I am pretty sure Maizie is affected by lights. Even the ones in our home can really upset her. It is common to find all the blinds closed and no lights on. She has yet to put this discomfort into words.

Kristina-Sounds like a lovely drive.

Drama Mama-It is a really neat story. Glad to lift you up. :)

Elissa-Always good to celebrate!

floating in space said...

This is wonderful! Kate loves lights too. She doesn't even complain when I alter our driving route because she is so entralled with the lights.

Anonymous said...

Just a quick comment - Thank you so much for calling today! It's so wonderful to hear your voice. Glad everyone is doing well and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas. I will do better at keeping in touch.. I PROMISE!

Love,
Felicia

Anonymous said...

I thought she might be. Do be careful, it does annoy me when you see all these flashing lights in towns and cities, making an exhibition of a landmark etc. I often wonder why. Do the people in charge have no responsibility or are they just ignorant to epilepsy? It's also been a question of mine and I expect always will be.

Take care, Crystal xx

Anonymous said...

That is a really cool story! And cool picture.

tulipmom said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story! SB has been fascinated with lights ever since he was born and loves driving around and seeing all the Christmas lights.