I Have a Star in My Eye
Today I was so touched by a post at Autism Vox by Kristina Chew. Here is the sentence that really affected me.
"But I have rather been waiting and seeing where he puts things away, where Charlie thinks that things should go—it’s a bit of a window into how Charlie sees the world and understands it to be ordered."
I wondered off and on today what it was about Kristina's post that had me reading with a big grin on my face and tears welling up in my eyes. I thought it was interesting that this post moved me as much as it did.
Later in the afternoon I was taking Maizie to my mom's house for a sleepover when Maizie said, "Mom I saw a 'star' in your eye."
I looked back in the rear view mirror and said, "What does that mean?"
Maizie said, "It means you love me."
Obviously, this moved me too.
Then it hit me. The reason I was touched by Kristina's post is that I read it and thought, "Yup! That is so like Maizie! I can just picture her doing the same thing." I could identify with a mom and her child that I have never met but that I know has quite a bit in common with us. In my daily life this can be rare.
Maizie is a special child that has so much love and joy. Kristina's son Charlie and Maizie see the world in a unique and wonderful way.
It seems to me that in these every day moments Maizie, Charlie and all the other children I love reading about are sharing something totally introspective and wonderfully unique. They are teaching us.
I am thankful for having become a part of the Autism Hub. Sharing the joy and insight that all of our children have and contribute to this world has made my life richer.
I enjoy reading blogs on the Autism Hub by autistic adults. Bev at Asperger Square 8 wrote an amazing post called Are You Listening with communication tips. This post helped me realize a few things about how Maizie communicates. I am learning ideas for Maizie through posts like this. I am growing and gaining a new outlook and it feels really good, like I have stars in my eyes!



8 comments:
What beautiful shells! (in a beautiful order, and a more beautiful smile on Maizie).......It's been great to "meet" Maizie and you and your family through the Hub, and even better to know there are so many friends out there.
What a little sweetheart, comments like that make it all worthwhile.
I love the idea of having 'stars in your eyes'! How truly lovely.
Thanks for such a beautiful post.
xx
I think all children have a unique take on the world around them. And I truly believe Maizie interprets it best in a way we can all understand. Love you!
Marla, this is beautiful. You are so right, too, that our children are teaching us. Let's hope we can learn and help them teach the rest of the world, too!
Great post, well written and made me understand a bit more of what the day to day thinking of being Maizie's mother is all about (that is a compliment because it is only an experience YOU can have, but because you can choose to share it, I can feel it a little too). I will follow up on the links you recommend.
I've read a bit of your archive (you stopped by my blog earlier today) and Maizie is just SUCH a cool sounding kid.
A star in your eye *smile*.
Kristina-Maizie said she was making a sand castle and made the shell design. She sure does have a sense of "order".
Mother of Many-So true!
Elissa-Yes! I am sure all us moms around the hub have stars in our eyes!
Mindy-Very true! Love you too!
Niks Mom-I do think they are teaching the rest of the world in little ways each day. Blogging is great for this too!
Eliz-Thank you! That is a great compliment coming from such an accomplished writer!:)
Kassine-Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you visit again! You may enjoy checking out Maizie's blog. Especially the posts where she is writing.
Post a Comment