Saturday, December 29, 2007

Little Miss Maizie and Conversations

Today Maizie has been quite full of energy. The kind of energy that has no direction. The kind that can send me over the edge if I am not careful. At last she is in bed and drifting off to la la land.

Today my mom picked me and Maizie up for lunch. She brought along our little friend Caroline. Caroline is six years old. We all enjoyed a nice lunch at our favorite place. They gave Maizie and Caroline balloons. Joe noticed a misspelling on the balloon. One more reason why we love that place.

Once home we all took off for the grocery store where we ran into Joe's aunt Marcia. We had fun talking in the do it yourself grocery lane. Maizie loves and I mean loves to be the cashier and scan all of the items. I must say she is quite good at it. It was nice catching up with Marcia. Maizie loves Marcia and gave her a big hug before we left.

On the way to the car she brought up a discussion she has began many times this week. She keeps wondering why she does not remember certain people when she was a "baby". I try to explain that we can't remember everything that happens when we are babies. Some memories stay and some go. In Maizie's mind being a "baby" means any age younger than her current age of ten. Maizie always gets sad and says, "But, I miss them mama." It is a conversation that I am sure will continue to become more complicated as she creates new questions to understand her past and relationships with others. Possibly some of the confusion stems from moving so much, her adoption, her memory issues and confusion of time... I don't know.

The other day Maizie and I were driving when Maizie said, "Mom...I think God is watching out for me." I asked her how she knows.

Maizie said, "I can't see it. I just feel it."

Little moments like this are amazing to me. Out of nowhere Maizie has these insights and I feel so amazingly lucky that she is sharing them with me. As we enter the "tween" years I wonder how her ways of communication will change. Will she be as open and introspective with me? I hope so.

Here is a cute little note she left me on my i phone. When I first saw it I thought, "Lordy! I am totally losing it! This note to myself makes no sense at all."

Here it is...

Wpa-psiltkip
True blue
Foo

12 comments:

Niksmom said...

I think Maizie is right...and she *can* feel it. I often think the same thing about Nik as I watch him do certain things as if he knows someone else is there (besides me).

I'm enjoying getting to know more about and of Maizie. :-)

tulipmom said...

Even though SB is younger than Maizie, I wonder the same things about how our communication will change as he gets older. Part of me thinks we'll always be especially close .... that his wanting to share things with me isn't just a reflection of his age but rather part of his very being ... .... does that make sense? Maybe I'm just deluding myself .... obviously I don't even know you but it sounds like you and Maizie have a similar kind of bond that will only get stronger with time.

Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed at the questions that are asked at our place too.

And Maizie's insights are just beautiful - such an absolute delight!
xx

Sheri said...

What an amazing kid! She is a gem. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

My youngest daughter was the exact same way. And because I was knee deep in rearranging my room I couldn't stop and help her. My room was a safety issue so I had to finish. I finally unleashed her on my learning typing software from college. Imagine an 8 year old playing all day on educational college software....only if their autistic...lol

Marla said...

niksmom- I agree. Thank you for visiting my blog and getting to know more about Maizie. You know we love Nik and keep him in our prayers every day.

tulipmom-I also like to think we will always be especially close. Time will tell. So, for the moment I am going to love every minute of it. Or at least try to.

Elissa-Your house sounds so similar. I love learning all about your kiddos too.


Sheri-Thanks!

fxsmom- Very true. Maizie can also be entertained doing the most interesting things. Like cutting paper into little squares for long periods of time. Right now she is still into Webkinz!

Drama Mama said...

Love her. She is precious.

Miss M has quite a connection to spirituality, too. I think that kids like ours vibrate on another plane, yes?

VAB said...

Our guy has the same issue with not being able to remember things from when he was younger. He is particularly upset by the fact that we can remember them but he can't. I think he feels that it is a wiring problem that only he has. I try to emphasize that everyone has this particular "problem.'

Holly said...

She sounds like such a great communicator. Your relationship is so wonderful.

kristina said...

Sounds like she is making more memories too........ Does she like to look at photos of herself when younger? I've been trying to talk about Charlie being "younger" and a "baby" when he looks at photos of his younger self---his face has changed little. He does look perplexed and what you've written here gives me more ideas as to why.

Anonymous said...

I think Maizie sounds very insightful and is indeed a thinker. I love that, so very creative. I think she in is much more tuned into spirituality, it seems almost like a deeper connection. What a beautiful little girl!

Marla said...

Drama Mama-I agree. A strong spirituality for sure. I could tell many stories of how Maizie has blown me away in this area.

Vab-Possibly it is more difficult for our kids since they struggle with understanding the passage of time?


Holly-How sweet of you to say. Thank you.

Kristina-Maizie does love to watch videos and look at photos of herself when younger. She seems to understand it is her even though she will say, "Look at her! She is so funny." or things like that. Maizie is so confused about the aging process. She will often ask if she will be a baby again or beg to be a baby again. She has no interest in getting older, it seems.


Eileen-True. She is a beauty. Thank you. I do think her spiritual connection is far more intense than I understand.