Thursday, December 13, 2007

Newport Aquarium

Our goal for today was to visit the Newport Aquarium in Kentucky. I knew right away that Maizie was not doing well. She was walking around as if all the lights were daggers in her eyes. Looking hunched over and wobbly. I knew a seizure was more than likely on its way.

The plan was to visit the aquarium and then drive back to our home from there. Just before we were ready to leave Maizie said her belly hurt. Now, it could have been potty time or a seizure coming on. I was praying for potty. No such luck. Maizie had a seizure and within minutes had to lay down to sleep.
After about thirty minutes she woke up and we were ready to go again. Maizie kept repeating that she wanted to go and just did not seem "aware" of what we were doing. She had a second seizure and I led her back to the couch for a second sleepy time.

I think maybe she woke up too soon after the first one and was not ready to go. Maybe that brought on the second one. I have never seen her have two in a row like that before. Too bad we could have not had our neurology appointment this week.

After sleeping for two hours we got ready again. Maizie seemed more alert and said she was feeling better. No more hunching over or squinting her eyes from the lights.

Maizie loved the aquarium. Melissa and I did too! Melissa had taken Alex to day care today so we could enjoy the experience toddler free.

Maizie took her time to read many of the descriptions of the fish. She was very thorough. She loved being able to touch the small sharks. Anything she could touch she did! Very cool!

Maizie managed to name the spider crab and shoe horse crab from her own memory. I was so proud. I did not even know she had ever seen a spider crab.

At one point she said, "Mom. I think that turtle was adopted by that one. See, the Mama and the little baby one." Very sweet. The last exhibit was penguins. You sit in a stadium like area where you view the penguins through a large glass wall. Along the bottom of the wall there was a vent. Maizie read the sign, "CAUTION! No standing or sitting!" She made a little sigh and a laugh and then said, "Well, that sign makes no sense!" Melissa and I busted out laughing. I explained to her that it meant you could not sit on the vent but that we could sit on the bleachers. It freaked her out anyway and we had to move on.

Our day started off slow and Maizie is so tired tonight. By tired I mean hyper. God willing we will be able to leave early in the morning. She is very pleased with the trip to the aquarium. If you want to see more photos check out her blog HERE. Please stop by Maizie's blog if you have the time and leave a comment. She worked so hard on this post. I am really proud of her!

14 comments:

kristina said...

Hope Maizie is all right----you still did a lot! Charlie loves aquariums too; he likes to get very close to the glass and look. I suspect the water reminds him of the ocean.

Bev said...

Great bird picture!

Neurodivergent K said...

What a crummy time to have a seizure...but...her timing could have been worse: she could have waited till y'all got there. Seizing in public causes scenes.

I'm glad she recovered and ended up having a good time anyway. Aquariums are great. And oceanariums with all the sea mammals.

Marla said...

Kristina-I really wanted to take Maizie to see the fish. So, we waited and waited. Thankfully, she woke up feeling better. I am getting used to waiting and wondering if we will be able to go.

Bev-Thank you! I see that you love birds! Very cool.

Kassiane-Very true! Maizie has had many seizures in public and there is no where good for her to rest after it. Since her seizures involve throwing up it is even more difficult in public. Hopefully tomorrow will be seizure free.

Elizabeth McClung said...

I am glad you were able to build up memories, even though there was a siezure. I had neuro stuff because it never seems to make any consistant sense, it just does what it wants and leaves us to wonder what we might have done to set it off. Suck!

She's right, that sign made NO sense.

Anonymous said...

Hope Maizie has a better day tomorrow :-), at least you were still able to get out for a while.

And I love the picture of her with the bird - absolutely gorgeous!
xx

MOTHER OF MANY said...

The trip, even with the seizure , sounds like it was lots of fun. I love fish and Beauty loves going to pet shops and seeing all the fishes.

Jeane said...

Maizie, I,m so glad you enjoyed the trip...
i loved your blog!! You did a great job. Love Grandma

Stinking Billy said...

Nice reading you again, but how come you look so different in every photograph?

Anonymous said...

How scary to have 2 in a row like that. At least she was still able to "thoroughly" enjoy the aquarium. How fun :)

Anonymous said...

We've had annual passes to the Newport Aquarium. I like those because if you go and decide the kids aren't having fun, you can always come back next week and not feel like you are really out anything.

BenefitScroungingScum said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad to hear you had such a fun day and Maizie enjoyed it even after being so tired. Bendy Girl

Marla said...

Eliz-Yes, the seizures are a mystery. Stress causes a lot though, I think.

Elissa- I love the photo too. Yesterday she did not seizure and we made it back home safe. I was so tired after driving though!


Mother of Many-Pet stores! yes! Maizie loves those too!

Grandma-Thanks for commenting. I know you are a loyal reader but not too into commenting! Comment on Maizie's blog when you get a chance. She loves getting them.

Stinking Billy- Well, it could be that I am like Zelig.

Fxsmom-Yes, she did have fun. I was thinking she never had two in a row until I remembered that she used to have five to six a day. Oh, well.

Joe-We do that with our local zoo here too. It is nice to be able to go for a while and leave. I am glad you get to the aquarium a lot. It is a really nice one.

Bendy Girl-Thank you! I hope you visit again real soon!

Anonymous said...

Maizie is so beautiful. I pray for these awful episodes to stop.

Crystal xx