Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

On March 17, 1984 the following photograph was taken for the local newspaper where I grew up in Iowa. I am the second child from the left with the pig tails. I was ten years old. Maizie's age! The differences and similarities between Maizie and me at that age are shocking.

This was the local Irish Dancing group. We were called the Sa-Pa-Da-Pa-So Dancers. I could dance a mean Irish Jig! Our performances ranged from nursing homes to the table tops of local Irish Bars. When I think back to doing jigs on bar tables I am a bit amazed that it was allowed. Oh, how times have changed.I miss Saint Patrick's Day in Iowa. The day was highly anticipated and planned for. The majority of kids did not attend school on that day, parents called in sick for them. My best friend Felicia's parents worked with the Sa-Pa-Da-Pa-So Parade Society. Every year she sat in a wagon at the beginning of the parade to paint the green line through the city. I remember I always thought Felicia had the coolest job in the parade. I was either dancing on a float or walking with my family handing out green pencils from Souvenir Pen and Pencil Company where my mom was a graphic artist. My Grandmother Mary was known as the Lady in the Green. Her kitchen was green and Irish decor sat throughout her home all year long. Her love of all things Irish and green inspired everyone she met.

After the parade we would join the party at the Four Seasons. Green beer, food and dancing was had by all. I don't remember when we would return home but I am certain I was often carried to bed as I was sound asleep. Every year was the same. There was comfort in that.

Now Saint Patrick's Day is just a tiny blip out of the year. My Grandma Mary is in a nursing home and does not remember who I am. We all think about her on this day and know that she kept this celebration going for our family. It has stopped with her. Indiana does not celebrate the holiday like we did in Iowa. Some year I would like to go back to my home town and see what they do now for the holiday. Possibly nothing has changed or maybe it has fizzled out.

I want to make the effort to bring a little more of the green back into this day. I know it can never match the Saint Patrick's Day celebrations of my childhood. Traditions are important. My extended family are going through a period of redefining family traditions. I hope that we can recreate a little of the magic I felt on that day as a child.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my GOSH! I have to tell you that some of my fondest childhood memories involve YOUR grandma. She was the biggest hoot! Able to fart on command--nothing cooler than that when you're 6 years old :) And I clearly remember spending St. Pat's Day with your family and partying until all hours (it was probably not as late as I remember) at the Four Seasons (someone burned a hole in my coat with their cigarette). Passing out pencils in freaking cold Iowa weather and just being proud to be Irish. I would have never remembered the "Sa-Pa-Da-Pa-So" but as soon as I read it, it all came back! Thanks for the good memory today :) (And Colorado doesn't celebrate the day as well as Iowa -did- either :( )

kristina said...

I walked into a classroom and beheld some of my students decked out in green, beads and shirts and more----many were not in class to attend the parade in NYC! Yes, traditions are all the more important for our kids---something about the comfort of rituals?

Something to think of dancing on the bar tables!

JUST A MOM said...

it is cool to have things like that growing up .my girls dont 'really have that out here in this town... that is a big thing I MISS.

Melissa Jo said...

i hear ya! i am feeling a little blue on this day that use to be one of the best days of the year for me as a kid! now i almost feel depressed that it doesn't hold that excitement it use to...as i sit at 4 a.m. at WORK in a hospital! hmmmm, maybe i just grew up? but i will say this day always makes me very lonesome for Grandma, our parents, the parade, and the crazy way the whole town celebrated no matter what!

Anonymous said...

It's lovely to have wonderful memories of childhood traditions!

Happy St Patrick's Day!!
xx

Anonymous said...

Spring Lake, the New Jersey Shore town where I grew up, is known as "the Irish Riviera." It's a wealthy town with a predominantly Irish population. There are beautiful big old houses and resort hotels, lakes filled with swans and the ocean is a short stroll from the center of town.
St. Patrick's Day was a big deal in Spring lake and the neighboring Shore town of Belmar, Bradley Beach, Brielle and Manasquan.
I remember the lakes in Asbury Park being dyed green (this was in the days before environmental awareness). There were green stripes painted down the center of the towns' main streets and it seemed like everybody either marched in the parade or sat in lawn chairs along the curb and watched the fun.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in that town! (Lived there from the ages of 5-16) I TOTALLY thought we had the day off of school until you said that. I've waxed nostalgic to untold numbers of people about my hometown where everyone got the day off of school to go to the St. Patrick's day parade!

I live on the other side of the country (is there an "other side" from the middle?) And I feel kind of like I'm ripping my kids off. They're growing up without the parades and the Kolache festival and the Sweet Corn Festival and Playtime Poppy (It was a singing dancing EAR OF CORN! What's not to love?) Now I'm homesick.

Pregnantly Plump said...

That sounds like such a fun, happy time! I agree that family traditions are important, and you probably already have some that you don't even realize. That's so cool that you can dance an Irish jig!

Angie said...

I'll tell you all the celebrating you did when you were growing up sounds fantastic! Scott and I used to have a annual Saint Patrick's Day party. We haven't done it for a few years now, but should get back to it. It's Scott's favorite holiday and I felt bad yesterday because we didn't do much. Maybe if I start planning now.:)

katy said...

Happy belated St Patricks day x
set yourself the task of celebrating next years St Patricks day as you used to you it would be so much fun

Anonymous said...

I love both those pictures. My kiddos are in bed but in the morning I'll have to show them the one of the puppy. They will get a huge kick out of it!!