Monday, April 14, 2008

My Cut and Color Upsets Lil' Miss Maizie

Tonight I had my hair cut and colored. Feeling the need for a change I decided to cut my long hair into a short wispy cut and began the process of coloring it lighter. Changing my hair is nothing new for me. I have had it almost every possible length but I have never drastically changed the color since we adopted Maizie. I knew I was taking a risk in upsetting her but such is life.

Upon picking Maizie up from my sister's house she looked at me and broke into a very loud maniacal laugh. I was a bit shocked when the laughter continued for quite some time. Finally, she calmed down and we were off.

Throughout the evening she would begin the hysterical laughing and tell me to look away. At one point she requested some help and I obliged only to hear her scream, "No! Daddy do it!" She closes her eyes and begins to shake a handful of silverware at me and says sternly,"Because of your head! I need to have Daddy do it because of that (pointing to my head). I need you to get rid of that now!" Needless to say Maizie has not taken well to my new hairstyle.

I asked if she thought I looked the same or different. She said, "You are different. A different person." I assured her I was the same ol' mom regardless of my hair color and style. Quickly, she ran from me and insisted Joe play Webkinz with her.She did let me tuck her in bed. This was the ending to her bedtime prayer,"I pray that Ma's hair wears off. Thank you God. Amen."

Maizie will come around by the end of the week. Until then I walk a fine line of taking her concern as seriously as it feels to her and trying not to laugh at her endless requests that my head be somehow changed back. I wondered if getting my hair cut would inspire Maizie to allow her hair to be cut for the first time in months. I will not be holding my breath.

For me, I like the new haircut and color. The change feels pretty...pretty good.

31 comments:

EJ Willingham said...

You look fabulous. And she'll come around. My sons think I'm a different person if I just put on makeup. They see those details of the trees far better than the forest, I think.

Anonymous said...

Oh Marla,
It is GORGEOUS! I hope she grows to like it, or atleast tolerate it.

kristina said...

You look gorgeous!

I grew my hair pretty long until last November and then went back to a boring ole bob. Charlie did not seem to care but what he does notice is what shirt I'm wearing---I'd have to wear the same pink or brown one over and over to suit him. And I don't.

Next thing you know, she'll want hers colored too?

Katrin said...

No warning, no nothing? You just up and went and changed that drastically? I think you're lucky she laughed and even got in the car with you when you picked her up. And yeah, I wouldn't be holding my breath about her wanting to cut her hair, though you never know.

Glad you like it though.

Anonymous said...

Ah, kids are wonderful for keeping the ego in check. My daughter sat down at the computer tonight and showed me where I could find information about weight loss. So subtle these kids.

I think your hair looks great and perfect for the coming warm weather. (It is coming right? I say as I sit in my longjohns.)

Anonymous said...

I like your new 'do. The color is lovely, too. Too bad Miss M. has such trouble adjusting to your new look. Is it because she has trouble accepting change? I'd heard that about kids on the spectrum. Anyway, here's hoping she gets used to .
-Jill

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I hope Maizie gets used to it!!!

Niksmom said...

Oh my. I'm sorry she is having a tough time adjusting/understanding. Given the need to control her environment so severely as her coping mechanism, I can understand her distress.

Personally, I think you look absolutely STUNNING!! :-))

Essential Amy said...

You look wonderful with your 'new head'!!! Change is good! My son tells me I need a haircut all the time. He said I can get a toy afterwards.
I can imagine it's hard for Maizie to deal with the change in you.

Melissa Jo said...

That is too funny! i think your hair looks way hot! great for the summer too! how light are you going for?

Bobbi said...

I think it looks great! I'm sure she'll get over it soon. Parker is the same way. That's why I haven't gotten a perm like I wanted. I'm afraid he would freak. You want to hear something about not liking change, for about the first 3 years of Parker's life, he would have nothing to do with me in the morning while I was in my pjs. I had to wake up and change before I got him out of his room. Kids are funny!

Pregnantly Plump said...

I like the new 'do! The color and cut are both great. Hopefully she'll come around soon.

Anonymous said...

Your hair looks rea. At least she didn't say what James says every time I get my hair cut, no matter what, "You look ugly." "Thanks dear. I love you too."

Ashley's Mom said...

I LOVE the new hair cut and color!! Maizie will come around soon, I bet. She won't be able to resist her beautiful mommy!

Suzanne said...

I love it. I hope Maizie will soon see that it's still her beloved Mom in a new do.

Jerry Grasso said...

I'm not even getting into this discussion...I'll argue about the benefits of floor time until the cows come home but when it comes to ladies and their hair...I'm out of my league.

Marla, in response to your comment on my blog, yes - I went to REI here in ATL to get Demetrius' new bike and they have industrial strength training wheels, what it came down to was we needed to go to a bike store v.s. a Target or Wal Mart

mommy~dearest said...

Like everyone else, I love the new look. I also know how difficult it is for Maizie, as Jaysen has not "allowed" me to do anything drastic to my hair either (I used to dye it every color of the rainbow before he was born).

I applaud you for taking that step! Our kids do need to learn that they can make it through these changes, and others. Now if I could only bring myself to take that step myself... :)

katy said...

you look fabulous
just want to let you know that I am taking a break for a while, hope to be back, till then byeeeeeeeeeeee x

Anonymous said...

You look amazing. It's good that Maizie is seeing a change in you. We can't go through life giving in to our child's requests. I am often harsh with Amy but she always comes round.

Crystal xx

floating in space said...

Love your new look! I can remember my brother hiding from my mom when she changed her hairstyle. I hope Maizie gets used to it soon!

Julie L. said...

Hi Marla. Love your new do. : ) Hope Maize comes around soon. It's funny because right now I'm sitting here typing with "do-it- yourself dye" in my own hair (covering some early gray). My guy just stared at me when I put it in. I think he's OK with it.

P.S. (in regards to your comment at my place) Yes my guy loves bowling and special olympics. : )Hope Maize will like bowling too.

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous!! Her reaction reminds me of the Scarlet Letter with Demi Moore where her daughter freaks out when she lets her hair down.

Unknown said...

I once had a second grader walk into my classroom, look up at me, and say very frankly, "You don't look very good today." Thank you for that. Anyhoo, I think your new do is sassy. Maizie will get used to it, cause obviously it's not going anywhere :) Good move!

Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

With the new cut you look fresher :) Do not take it to heart of what M said, I'm sure she'll be able to adjust to your new look in a while.

I was asked to view a video of Stephen Wiltshire. He is amazing! Autistic and has got a perfect photographic mind. You can check him out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAfaM_CBvP8
He's truly amazing that makes my mouth go wild-opened :D

Anonymous said...

I love the new hairdo! Absolutely gorgeous!!

Trying to find a 'sense of peace' at our place at the moment... hopefully be back in action soon!

xx

Travis Erwin said...

the hair looks great.I'm sure she'll come around in a few days.

kristi said...

I cut all of my hair off a few months ago. TC didn't like it. Neither did hubs! But it is easy and the great thing about hair is that it grows back!

Anonymous said...

you look fabulous!!! i'm having the little bangs, too!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marla~ Looks like it is unanimous...your new look is great! You are one of those lucky people that looks good with their hair any length. Have fun with it!

Susie

little.birdy said...

I found you via Rhett's Journey and have been reading your archives with interest. I'm in school to be a speech therapist and Maizie goes straight to my heart. I have a new puppy, and I wish Maizie was around to help me train her! :) Thanks for sharing your stories!
Katie

Drama Mama said...

Gorgeous. Look at you. Just LOOK at you!