Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Build and Grow at Lowe's

Kate, Maizie's assistant bought all of the girls these adorable shirts. Very cute. Taking a photo where they were all smiling was impossible. I took about ten and this is the closest one to all smiles!Saturday mornings Lowe's has a time when all the kids can go and build something for free. It is called Lowe's Build and Grow. Lowe's gives you a great kit, a hammer, apron and goggles. When you complete it they give you a patch that you are supposed to proudly display on your apron. Our kids are not too into the patches, just the making of the project. Here is Sally working hard. She is the most independent when it comes to the projects. While I am stumbling over the directions she is usually saying, "No Marla. Use this piece. See...the directions here." Yup. It is good for me to sit near Sally while helping Mimi. Kate worked with Maizie and Chris helped Emma. I worked with Mimi and Sally helps me. Ha! Mimi was getting a tad wild with the hammer this time. Mimi hit my fingers at least five times. Each time she would collapse into a heap of giggles over my slight injury. Slapstick humor never fails to entertain a five year old.
Maizie and Kate had fun. It was a very loud day at Lowes. I am not sure how many kids were there, maybe thirty. That is a lot of hammering. All the girls handled the noise quite well. At one point Chris and I looked up to see a mom jumping up and down with her fingers in her ears. She was doing what I felt like doing. It was loud. Very loud. Maizie with her finished product. A Pet Treat Keeper. Emma was very proud of hers. Emma made sure to tell everyone, more than once that she finished first! That is more than likely because she had the benefit of Chris helping her. At one point Chris was saying from far across the table, "Marla...Marla...move the wood over once like this." I'm flipping my piece over every which way but the right way. Argh. I'm telling you..it's confusing and I had a lot of cold medication that day. ;)

Kate and Maizie had the most difficulty. Their kit was complete with nail holes that did not line up correctly. The kit is free but we are not talking highest of quality stuff here. The nails typically cut through the wood like butter and pop out with the slightest of movement. It is enough to drive any skilled carpenter over the edge. I'm not complaining though. Kate was determined to help Maizie make hers work and it turned out very nice.

5 comments:

Ashley's Mom said...

The projects look great and I love the t-shirts!

Club 166 said...

Way cool shirts. Like something Jerry Garcia would come up with.

Joe

i said...

Sounds like a great time! A pet treat keeper?

Wishing you a Christmas filled with love & joy and a peaceful New Year!

Ellen Seidman said...

Hi, Marla. It is nice to meet you and your beautiful family, just found you through another blog. I'm Ellen, mom to Max, a seven-year-old with mild cerebral palsy, and Sabrina, a four-year-old with a big attitude. I'm going to look into this in the Lowe's near us! Happy holidays!

kristi said...

We did this once at Home Depot. Sara enjoyed it.