Sunday, December 6, 2009

Respite Care Begins & Christmas Cookies

Respite Care began this week. We are blessed to have Kate and Hollea working with Maizie. They work with Maizie to learn self care skills like steps to showering, tooth brushing and cooking. I can't wait to see the progress Maizie will make with their help.

On their first few visits I hung around the house while they got to know Maizie and started working on a routine. Thursday night I went to see the movie A Serious Man. I had just arrived in the parking lot when Kate texted that Maizie was having a CVS spell. Typically I would have went right back home. I waited to see how Maizie would recover. Once Kate gave me the okay to see the movie I was relieved. Until then, I was a nervous wreck worrying about Maizie and wondering if I should risk spending the money on a movie ticket. The movie was awesome and Kate did a great job helping Maizie recover.

On Saturday Kate helped us frost Christmas cookies. Mimi and Maizie made the frosting with Kate.Mimi and Maizie's favorite part was licking the frosting off the spoons.Frosting cookies is a good exercise in fine motor skills. I frosted and promptly ate at least four cookies. They were so good.

Mimi had a hard time controlling herself with the sugar sprinkles. This is no surprise considering how much sugar she requests on her Cheerios in the morning. Mmmmmm....sugary.Sally made a cute, kissy snowman. Decorating cookies is lots of fun. A big ol' mess but it is worth it.

4 comments:

kristi said...

Yum...cookies!
My 14 year old does respite for TC.

Clay said...

I love those Christmas cookies! I've never made them, haven't had them for years. Please give the recipe.

mumkeepingsane said...

Yummy. I'm planning on doing this with the kids next week. I can't find a good frosting recipe. How did they make it?

I'm glad she was able to handle everything and you could see the movie. A good respite worker is worth their weight in gold!

Niksmom said...

Smiling from ear to ear at the idea of getting to see a movie and knowing your child is well taken care of. PRICELESS! Congratulations on the new development; I can't wait to read about Maizie's progress, too.