Saturday, July 21, 2007

4H Fair Fun

Today we went to the Allen County 4 H Fair. The kids wanted to sit on these tractors...or whatever you call them. Chloe looks cute trying to reach the handles of the mower. Christian climbed right up on the tractor like he gets up there everyday. I asked him about it later and he told me that he drives Grandpa's tractor.
Maizie carefully climbed into this tractor, mickey ears and all.
Soon we were on to the poultry section. Probably my least favorite area. There were some huge turkeys that the kids seemed kinda repulsed by. Many of the hens were laying eggs. This hen won a blue ribbon and layed an egg all in the same day!Maizie asked to pet this girl's cow. Maizie was full of good questions for the handlers. We all agreed the cow was velvety soft. Check out these guys. The llamas were awesome. You can tell they have a lot of personality and they were willing to let it show. One of the llamas was making some very interesting grunting noises while I photographed him. I don't think he wanted me to take his picture until he had some corrective braces put on his teeth. Don't they look regal? Llamas certainly come in a variety of colors. Maizie was able to pet the llama below. The little girl was getting ready to show her llama. All of the kids were so nice and willing to take time out to answer questions and let the kids pet their animals. The llamas towered above Chloe and Christian. Both were a little hesitant to get too close to the llamas. I imagine from their view point the llamas were enormous looking.
I could of hung out all day watching the llamas. I can see why Carl on the cartoon Jimmy Neutron has quite the obsession with llamas.


Chloe, Maizie and Christian all loved the rabbits. There were so many different colored bunnies. There were some that had a brown velvety coat. They reminded Susie of the Velveteen Rabbit. I would have taken one of those home in a heart beat. Gorgeous. Maizie enjoyed having the rabbits nibble on her fingers. It was against the rules since there were signs everywhere saying, 'Keep Fingers Out of Cages'. What can I say... I could barely resist letting them nibble on my fingers. That is just the kind of mom I am sometimes. Maizie was so excited when this white rabbit continued sucking on her finger like a bottle. Christian had no fear of the rabbits and had to be told to move along since he frequently was left behind mesmerized by a rabbits beady eyes. After lots of animal watching we worked up quite an appetite. Luckily, I had just enough wet wipes for each of us to use. When we first arrived a man was handing out Gideon Bibles. All of the kids took one. Christian took a special interest in his and insisted on reading it before lunch. He frequently told the girls, "Shhhh...I am trying to read!" Maizie said all exasperated like, "Christian...you can't read!" This did not seem to bother Christian who once again said, "Maizie...Chloe....I am trying to read!" Maizie and Chloe continued to think this was hilarious. Finally Maizie said, "Christian! You are holding the Bible upside down!!" Christian sighed a big sigh and said, "Arghshhh!" He promptly turned it around and continued his deep reading. I took off to the nearest food booth after seeing 'Pickle on A Stick' and knowing Maizie would totally get a kick out of eating a pickle on a stick. I was right. She gobbled it down. Soon Susie returned and I took off to buy ours. We all had moderately good hot dogs while Susie had fish. They also had these great chips we got made from fresh potatoes. The kids loved them. Oh, and I splurged and had a Coke. Boy, did I pay a price for that last night. I was running to the bathroom all night and barely slept four hours.
Susie took this photo of us waiting for the tractor shuttle.Susie and I loved sitting back and soaking up the sun on the shuttle. I could have sat on that thing all day...just going around and around and around. Hey, I am a cheap date. We all had a great time living on the farm for a few hours. Back at home I conked out on the couch while Maizie watched Nickelodeon. I was so tired. Those animals really wore me out. As soon as Joe was done working we headed off to the dog park. Sean and Carol came by without their Greyhounds to drag us out to dinner with them to Mi Pueblo. Granted, there was not too much dragging involved since we all love Mi Pueblo. Carol was celebrating a bonus of sorts from work and they wanted to treat us. I swear...they spoil us rotten! Thanks for dinner Sean and Carol! Joe and I stayed up way too late. He is teaching me some HTML so I can blog a bit faster and easier. What a sweetheart. Now it is Saturday morning. I am actually finishing up this post form last night. It is not even nine and I have went to the store, watered the plants, done two loads of laundry and finished this blog. That is one good thing about insomnia...I get a whole heck of a lot done.

2 comments:

Melissa Jo said...

sounds like a fun day! those llama pics are hillarious! alex made her kitty sound when she saw them.

Marla said...

Awesome. Don't let her stop making the kitty comment. I love it. Please tape if for me! Can you imagine if cats had faces that looked like those llamas? That would be awesome.