Thursday, August 23, 2007

Puppy Games and Darwin Pouts

I hate that I have not had any photos to put on my blog. I am too tired to carry my camera or even think about getting it out of it's bag. Truly sad. I am going to force myself to get some photos going.

This morning I went with Joe and Maizie to the dog park. We went early so I could go looking as bad as I look. No shower, stains on my clothes, my back brace on and drainage tube still hanging on. Argh. I am so ready to get rid of this drainage tube.

Anyway, it was great hanging out at the park for a while. We had the entire park to ourselves. When we are alone Darwin is willing to play catch and do his cool leaps through the air. The minute any other dog arrives he just likes to run, wrestle and sniff dog butts. Stella was too funny running around. It had rained all week so the grass was muddy. There was one mud hole that Stella just could not stay out of. I took the baby pool and set it on top of the hole upside down. She then began running really fast towards the pool, would leap onto it and slide across it and plop down on the other side. Stella loved this game.
The rest of the day was a breeze since both dogs were so tired. Stella curled up and slept by her dog bowl for a while. At one point Maizie covered her with a laundry basket and she quickly developed a stop drop and roll method to flip the basket over and run to freedom. Next we crammed her little stuffed toys into the holes of Maizie's spinning toy, the Bilibo. Stella would grab the animal and drag the entire Bilibo quickly around the kitchen. She ran into chairs and walls and eventually got the little stuffed toy free. We have found the easiest way to keep her happy is to tweak her dog toys into something a bit more challenging. She knows how to sit now and almost knows the down command. She is stubborn. We have taken to using a water bottle to squirt her when she barks. Seems to have done the trick. Marie's little Maltese Stewie is going to the door and waiting all ready when she has to pee. Stella still sniffs around the room wildly while we are yelling, "Quick! Get Stella out!"

Joe got a little too excited today and squirted Darwin on his nose when he was growling too much at Stella. I was asleep so I did not see the incident. When I woke up Darwin was squeezed tightly between our couch and the wall, paws crossed and eyes looking up at me real sad like. Darwin had been there for a while after being squirted. When Joe saw Darwin pouting he felt pretty bad. We had to coax him out with a treat and he continued to mope for about an hour. I told Joe Darwin is such a good dog that I don't think he needs the water bottle treatment. Joe agreed. Tonight Joe took them all to the dog park again.

After walking at the dog park this morning I came home and collapsed. I felt so tired. I slept most of the day again. I can't believe how much sleep I seem to need. I am even sleeping most of the night without waking up. Monday Joe will have to go back to work and I will not be able to sleep as much. I will sleep while I can.

Joe and Maizie are back from the dog park. They said it was pretty crowded with the usual pit bulls, boxers, Potato the mutt and a beagle. Bhutan, a boxer jumped up on Joe when he was holding Stella and began barking real loud. Stella moved towards Bhutan and began barking right back. Joe said her lack of intimidation from bigger dogs is amazing. It should be real interesting as she gets older. Australian Cattle Dogs are known for their independence and she shows hers at an early age. Stella will challenge our training abilities. No doubt about that. We will probably join a puppy class once I am able. She needs lots of socialization. Joe said Maizie had a great time introducing Stella to the other owners at the park. I wish I could have been there.

I don't have much new to talk about since I am spending my days sleeping. Excessive sleeping kind of puts a strain on my social life.

No comments: