Friday, March 21, 2008

String of Days with my Chronically Ill Child

Do I ever write anything exciting? The last few days are like the long string of days before it. Maizie wakes up, Maizie is pale, sickly, tired, she sleeps or does not sleep, her moods are up and down and up and down, she works a puzzle, I do some cleaning, read some blogs, make phone calls, play with the dogs, walk the dogs, take a nap, give Maizie her medications, debate if she needs her CVS medications and ponder if we will be able to leave the house, Maizie gets emotional again and begins to yell, the dogs go crazy, Joe comes up from his office looking at me like I need to take control of the situation and all I want to do is go back to sleep on the couch and forget about this day...this string of long days that never seem to change.

We made it to Susie's house on Wednesday. Maizie brought a book all about baby animals and before I knew it she was sitting all cozy next to Susie. Together they read the book,page by page. You can see Chloe examining her nails next to Susie. I am sure Chloe was thinking, "Hello! I thought Maizie came to play with me?!" After Maizie had her cuddle time with Chloe's dog, Boomer they went off to play Barbies.Last night I went to the mall with Janeen. I began to feel frenzied. I was out of the house! I was shopping! It was as if my brain was saying, "Must keep shopping while you can!" If I had the money and the time I probably would have purchased a whole new wardrobe, new shoes and whatever caught my eye. But, I did not. Instead I bought a Build A Bear Karate outfit, glasses and bear diapers for Maizie that will be from the Easter Bunny. Now that she can finally manipulate the clothing to dress her animals she is obsessed with doing so. I love watching her dress up the animals in cute outfits and parade them around proudly. I especially love it because for most of the time she is sitting in her chair looking comatose.

We are at a complete stand still with raising the Topomax. It is clear the Topomax is causing major aggression and depression. I called the neurologist and we are raising her Lamictal back up and keeping the Topomax the same until we see her next week. Argh. My instinct is the Topomax is not going to work. Considering how few migraine medications we have to choose from the neurologist is insistent we try it longer.

A few minutes ago Joe approached Maizie with a hair brush, encouraging her to comb through her wild unbrushed mane. He wants Maizie to be up and around, doing something...anything. Joe says, 'I thought maybe if you brush your hair you might feel better." Maizie began to scream and push the brush away. Sigh. Some battles are not worth fighting. I took this picture just a second ago as she was insisting, "Don't look at me! I want to do a puzzle." Puzzles seem to be the only thing she can focus on right now. At least that is a good brain exercise.On Wednesday we managed to go for a walk around the neighborhood. Maizie loves walking the dogs with the coupler. I see dog training in her future.So...la de da, here I sit with Darwin. Blogging another blog as Maizie quietly works on her fourth puzzle for the day. Sigh. I have been getting out more with friends which is nice. I would really like a weekend away. I sense one will be in my future soon. Easier said than done when you consider the anxiety Maizie experiences whenever I leave the house. Some days you have to judge whether or not time away is even worth it. Any one who has a child with a very rare chromosome disorder (Duplication of Chromosome 6 at sub-band 6p25.3),Autism and severe anxiety that is followed by bouts of cyclical vomiting syndrome knows exactly what I mean.

15 comments:

Niksmom said...

Oh, Marla! I feel your frustration and tiredness in this post. I wish I had some magic answer. One thought that occurred to me as I was reading (it was quite random when it happened) — I wonder if Maizie is so enamored of puzzles b/c they are something that she can have *complete* control over? Same thing with not going out...she can control her environment and activities somewhat better at home than out. Perhaps the anxiety attached to the lack of/loss of control heightens her sensations when she feels ill?

Like I said, I am not sure where that came from but I wanted to share it with you incase it had some significance to you and/or Joe.

Sending love, tonight, my friend. XOXO

Anonymous said...

Marla,
Sending hugs and love your way. I have only been away from my girls once, for a weekend. It was heaven, and so needed. Now that they are older, I need to do it again, but something always comes up. Having said that, I know how hard it is, but I know how important it is for YOU, to replenish. I recognize that feeling of just being giddy at being at the mall with a friend!

I love the picture with Maizie walking the dogs. I wonder, as the weather starts getting warmer, if she will be more willing to go outside with the dogs. At least it will get her moving.

Thank you for the advice on the antipsychotic,it has only been a week, but it is like I have a different child. For the better.
Just for an FYI, they also cut her Topamax dose in half.

I do hope they get Maizie's medication straightened out. It is the wait and see, that can be so very, very hard.

Have a very Happy Easter!!
XOXOXO

floating in space said...

I know exactly what you mean when you wonder whether the time away is worth it or not. It's never easy.

Hang in there.

Katrin said...

"Considering how few migraine medications we have to choose from"

I know what you mean. It's horrid, horrid, horrid.

"Joe approached Maizie with a hair brush, encouraging her to comb through her wild unbrushed mane."

I'm wondering if it hurts. I don't mean like you probably think it hurts, but like 'too much information, over stimulating' hurts. Brushing my hair certainly does, even to this day. It was terrible when I was a kid, took years and years and years to find a hair brush (never a comb) I could tolerate enough to brush my hair well enough to get rid of what my mother refered to as 'the rat's nest' since I refused to let her or anyone else brush it on a regular basis and my attempts weren't very effective inbetween times. it really didn't help that I couldn't figure out the mechanics of braiding my own hair until I was a junior in high school, and a braid is one of the few forms that it stays relativly untangled in. I don't have it short, short becuase that requires more frequent cutting, which is also pretty intolerable. I find it hurts slightly less if I brush it when it is wet, but it has to be dripping wet.

Ok that was probably way more info than you needed/want, but hopefully some of it is remotely useful to your situation.

Anonymous said...

Marla~
I am glad that Maizie was feeling up for a visit the other day...and I really enjoyed those few minutes with her looking at the book (even though it WAS killing Chloe to have to wait for her friend!).
Have fun watching Maizie open all of her treats from the Easter Bunny~

Susie

Anonymous said...

What you need is a change of thought. Though a tag may not exactly provide that diversion I did it anyway. This is one is very easy. You only need to come up with a 6 word sentence about you :). Check it out on my blog: http://fragilex.wordpress.com

kristina said...

I have been lucky to have extra time to spend in my office and work while my parents are here and yet I feel that tug, that need to be with Charlie and he's been sending out signals (usually by 4-5 pm in the evening) that I'm needed. And he's been telling me in so many ways (getting mad at me) that I shoulda been around more........ Hey, it is nice to be wanted! But hope you can take that weekend.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry this period has been so tough for you all. Maizie sounds like an extraordinary kid, and you are just as extraordinary for being able to maintain during such a trying time. The photos are lovely, as is the writing, and I hope that in some small way they give you a bit of perspective on things. I admire your ability to stay creative even through the toughest times. Hugs to you all.

Ashley's Mom said...

Marla, I so wish I knew something to do to make things a little easier for you and Maizie. I hate Topamax as much as you do. We start weaning Ashley beginning this Sunday night. We will cut her dose by 50 mg., wait two weeks and cut it again, and so on until she is completely off it.

BTW, did you know that one of the side effects of the Topamax is weight loss. I don't know if it reduces the appetite and/or makes food taste funne, but Ashley lost about 10 pounds when she started taking it. Do you think it might be actually making the CVS worse instead of helping?

Marla said...

Niksmom-Yes! I think you are on to something with the puzzles and control. Very good insight.

Eileen-Glad to be of help. We just went back up on M's Lamictal which is her seizure med. but also helps with moods. This morning we notice a huge difference for the better. Do you notice a difference on the Topomax decrease? Is she on 25mg?

Katrin-You more than anyone understand migraine pain, I am sure. You are so right about the hair brushing. Some days I know not to even bother her with things like that. I am wondering what type of brush you found for your hair? I don't think M likes our current one.

Susie-You are so sweet. We always love hanging out with you and Chloe. This morning I realized we still have one of Chloe's sip cups! I swear I am not trying to run off with it. ;)

Ashley-We sure do notice weight loss. A lot since her hospitalizations. She still eats a lot on the Topomax. We are still down to 25 mg on it. Since we see improvement all ready on the Lamictal I bet the neuro will want us to stick with the Topomax. Argh!

Thank you everyone for your endless kind words. I love ya all.

Pregnantly Plump said...

I'm so sorry things are still difficult. It's got to be so hard, but I'm glad you are able to get out some. Good luck on the possible weekend adventure.

Angie said...

Marla,
Hey, I have some info on a local nuerologist and my friend's child I was telling you about at dinner. Would love to get together again soon. I'm craving TCBY... Haven't had frozen yogurt in awhile. Hoping you have a wonderful Easter!

Unknown said...

Hi Marla, I put something on my blog for you guys because my last comment wouldn't publish. Check it out when you get a minute :)

Melissa Jo said...

you must be going stir crazy! you are welcome to come visit here anytime you want! or maybe we could meet in indy for a night?

Anonymous said...

Marla, I'm so sorry it's been so hard! I do know what you mean, at least on some level with the CVS. Have they mentioned periactin at all? We actually had more success with it than the topamax, but it still wasn't enough to keep her out of an episode when we weren't managing her diet because the gluten and casein were such strong triggers for her.

I'm praying that they will find something to help M soon. You're in the hardest part of the diagnosis right now, so just hold on! And don't feel like it's not worth it for you to get out. Your sanity is important... make sure you have time to get out on your own. Hugs!

~Michelle