Sunday, June 10, 2007

Iowa Playtime Poppy Memories

I was sitting around one night doing a bunch of nothing. Without warning my mind began singing, "Oh, I'm a gay time, play time poppy!" Whoa! That's from the little Iowa ear of corn. Cedar Rapids has a great Children's Theatre and their mascot is big ear of corn.
The group traveled around between schools and put on their productions. I always loved seeing their plays. As kids we were all told to sing along with Poppy. But, before long the song was stuck on repeat in my mind and was driving me crazy. I could only remember the one line to the song! I decided to take advantage of technology and within minutes I had e-mailed the theatre asking for the lyrics to the song. Within a day the lyrics were e-mailed back to me. Awesome!

Here they are...I know you are as excited as I am!

I'm a play - time
Playtime Poppy
The cornfield is where I was born
I have a gay time
Playtime Poppy
Happy little ear of corn.

I love to sing and dance and play
Most every type of game
The Children's Theatre is my home
And Playtime Poppy is my name

Oh I'm a gay time
Playtime Poppy
And never will I be forlorn
I have a gay time
Playtime Poppy
Happy little ear of corn!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, loved Playtime Poppy. I'm a Marion native but now live in Northern Virginia. I have never been able to get that song out of my head - but only remembered the one line also! Awhile ago, I set out to try and find the lyrics on the internet and had no luck. Turns out tonight I decided to try again and found your blog. THANKS!! Now I can sing the WHOLE song to my 16-week-old son, Brayden. Too bad he won't be experiencing Playtime Poppy for himself! Love that dancing ear of corn!

Marla said...

Yes! I am so glad someone else appreciates Play Time Poppy! I am so glad you were able to find the song to sing to your little one! Lovely! Thank you so much for leaving a comment for me. I truly appreciate it.

Zooey said...

Like you, the Playtime Poppy song also randomly "pops" into my head actually quite frequently. I live in northern Idaho now and they don't have gigantic dancing ears of corn here (no potato jokes... they aren't grown up here!). Thanks for the lyrics and for prompting good memories. Take care.