Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Day of Conversations

Conversation on the way to tutoring today.
Maizie: Are we going to have that curly thing that you put fruit in on Thanksgiving?

Marla: Hmmmm....a cornucopia?

Maizie: Yeah...that!

Marla: I don't know where to get one.

Maizie: I do.

Marla: Where?

Maizie: From pilgrims.

Marla: Do you know how cornucopias were made?

Maizie: Yes.

Marla: Will you tell me?

Maizie: Out of skin and then painted.

Marla: Seriously?!

Maizie: I think so.

Marla: Can you eat the cornucopia?

Maizie: No. You have to use it for music.

Marla: How?

Maizie: You blow in it. You make cornucopia music.

Marla: Wow. I should have known that. Those pilgrims are a wacky bunch!

Maizie: (Laughing) Yes.

Conversation in car a while after tutoring.

Maizie: Mom.

Marla: What?

Maizie: Tell me again what happens when people die?

Marla: What do you want to know exactly?

Maizie: How do they go to Heaven?

Marla: Well, I am not sure.

Maizie: Mom! Just tell me the truth okay!

Marla: Ummmm....everyone has a spirit. It is a part within our bodies that hold all our love and energy and what makes us special. It is invisible but it is there. When a person dies that special part leaves their body....floats up to Heaven to be with God and the other people they loved here in the world.

Maizie: So.....(big sigh)....you mean it is magic then?

Marla: Yeah, I guess it is in a way.

(very long pause)

Maizie: I don't ever want to die.

Marla: Everyone dies some day. We don't know when and we can't spend all day obsessing over it. We just have to love everyone the best we can and enjoy our days the best we can. (choking back tears)

Maizie: I don't know what to say when I die.

Marla: I don't think you have to say anything honey. That is one time when you can just relax and be totally......at peace...I guess. I think we should enjoy looking forward to playing and hanging out at Mindy's house right now. (choking back more tears)

Maizie: Can I have that sucker now or what?

Maizie and Maralyn

We were playing at Maralyn's house when a little neighbor girl came over wanting to play.

Maralyn: She will come over after she gets her sister dressed. She was wearing just her underwear.

Maizie: Is she coming over here?

Marlayn: Yup.

Maizie: What does she speak like?

Marlayn: She speaks English!

(Maizie looks at me with great concern.)

Mindy: Maizie, she is very nice. She has a calm, relaxed, quiet voice.

Maizie: (Looking relieved) Okay.


**I love that Mindy knew exactly what Maizie meant by this question. **

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am always in awe of how some people 'get it' without any map!
Cheers

MOTHER OF MANY said...

Children can certainly ask interesting questions, on Sunday my daughter wanted me to explain to her the history of time and was quite concerned that I didn't know the answer off the top of my head.
Another recent question was ARE TURKEYS EXTINCT?

Casdok said...

How lovely!! LOL!

Melissa Jo said...

those are great stories! maizie is so very insightful! those made me laugh out loud! i don' tknow how you answered the death one! you did rather nicely at answering that one!
can't wait to see you tomorrow!!!

Anonymous said...

suckers are always the best "out" for a conversation.

Marla said...

Hi Everyone! Thanks so much for commenting! I appreciate every comment and love to hear from you all. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

kristina said...

Thrilling to read! Happy happy Thanksgiving!