Monday, November 19, 2007

Frog. Routine Change. Maizie Loves the iPhone.

This morning started out with my nephew Christian waking me up saying, "Mawa! Watz the passwurd? Watz the passwurd? Mawa!!!!" Ugh. Joe and I gave him a Webkinz frog that he is totally in love with. He came up with the most original and cute name for it. He named it, 'Frog'. At least it will be easy to remember. After getting him signed in and playing Webkinz Maizie made her way to the bathroom all happy and seemingly well.

A few minutes later I go in and find her sitting on the toilet sweating and saying, "Don't get near me! Don't touch me!"I hand her the garbage can and she throws up. Gradually her eyes begin to close and I manage to get her to the couch where she promptly falls asleep. Christian continues talking to Maizie despite her being sound asleep. He is used to her seizures and yet I think he rather think she is just resting and still listening to him than worry that she is not feeling well.

She had been feeling so well. It seemed like days since her last seizure.

For most of the morning she slept while Christian asked me a million questions about Webkinz World. He is working hard to decorate his lilly pad home and was trying to earn enough webkinz money for a tub. All in one morning. I don't think so! It took Maizie days to earn her tub.

We ended up having to cancel tutoring so Maizie could have a more quiet day at home. I was so sad about this since she had finished all of her homework and we worked our buts off getting it done. Luckily, she will be able to make up her session tomorrow.

Mindy came over for a while so Maralyn and Maizie could play. That made the day a bit better for us both. We were able to watch a couple episodes of our show which was a nice break.

This afternoon I was upstairs cleaning up stuff. When I came down Maizie was sitting all cozy with my iPhone. She had this very huge grin on her face. She had managed to look through all the photos on it, scan the phone numbers and watched five you tube videos. I was dumbfounded! Luckily, the videos she found were all dog ones. I think she did a search for dog videos! I am just amazed at how easy the iPhone is to use. Using my cell phone has been one thing Maizie has always struggled with. Now, with the iPhone she will probably become an expert. Now, if I can just get her to be more willing to talk to people on the phone.

Tonight I went to get my hair cut and jumped in the shower once home. Not thinking it was right at bedtime Maizie came into the bathroom yelling, "Whose gonna put me to bed?! Whose gonna put me to bed? I am cold! I have to go to bed! Whose gonna put me to bed?!!!"
Joe had stepped outside with the dogs for just a minute sending her into a 'routine change' melt down. Luckily, once Joe came back inside she allowed him to tuck her in bed. Normally this is a mommy only routine. I am typically not in the shower when it is her bedtime. The hairdresser took longer than normal and such is life. These "changes" in routine are at least easier to manage than they once were. Maizie fell asleep almost instantly. It is amazing how tired her seizures make her.


While I was sitting under the dryer at the hair place I saw an article in a magazine about Heather Kuzmich. She is one of the models on America's Top Model. She has Aspergers syndrome and is from Indiana. It was a brief article pointing out the stereotypical Aspergers traits. I came right home and put the show in to record. I might just make it in time for the finale. Possibly she has been voted out by now I don't know. I am sure there will be reruns. Does anyone know anything about Heather?The last few nights I have had terrible dreams. Dreams with a dead caterpillar and bird inside me. It was quite disturbing. Whenever I have a dream like that I think....gadz...what the hell was that about? What is up with that? I like to think these freaky dreams really don't mean anything. They could be from becoming hooked on the show Dexter.

Anderson Cooper 360 on CNN is about Autism tonight and features Amanda. I mentioned her amazing site in a previous post.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A change in routine has a similar sort of effect in our house - especially at bedtime, the slightest thing will send my son over the edge!

mumkeepingsane said...

You're so calm when you talk about the seizures. Patrick has just come off his anti-seizure meds and I'm a total wreak...and he hasn't even had one.

I think Heather is still on America's Top Model. I catch a few minutes of it every now and then if hubby is putting the boys to bed.

Anonymous said...

Lots of love to Maizie. I do hope she's okay now.

Crystal xx

Holly said...

Wow, lots going on there. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Gah mom. how dare you shower at bedtime...lol. (I only laugh cuz I feel your pain)

Anonymous said...

I had one off sick yesterday too! I also saw the video [u-tube from Kristina a think] Impressive stuff. she is soooo tall. Glad to hear that you're all geared up.
BEst wishes

Amanda said...

Sorry to hear Maizie had a long day- what a way to start it out!
Missed Amanda on tv! wonder if i can find a webcast.

Elizabeth McClung said...

I am sorry to hear about Maizie's seizure but thank you for the information, the snapshot of a day which gives me an beter understanding not only of Maizie but also of what is like to caregive. As for Dexter - try not to watch the whole first season in three days like I did - WOW, got a few wild dreams outta that! It is such a good show that I found myself saying, "Ah, I guess some sociopaths are just misunderstood at heart....if they cared about having a heart"

Anonymous said...

It gets better - the routine thing. I was just talking about Melissa to my mom, commenting on how she keeps herself on a tight routine, especially at night. She will shower, and all that, and be in bed promptly at 9:30-no later. As long as she has control, she will make sure she stays on her schedule.

Marla said...

Elissa-I am glad to hear I am not the only one. :)

Mum-I sure hope Patrick is able to stay off the seizure meds. We have tried a few times on some of M's medications with no luck. She still needs them. I guess weaning the med. is the only way to find out. Very stressful.

Thanks Crystal and Holly!

FXSmom-I know! I am so bad!

Maddy-Thanks! I will have to check that out.

Amanda-They had video clips from t.v. show on CNN website.

Eliz-Yes! Someone else addicted to Dexter! We did watch half of the first season in one night! I was not too happy with myself in the morning. They are so good at making you like that bad guy. It is really weird. I sure am enjoying it though!

Mindy- That is awesome that Melissa regulates her schedule like that. She is such a sweetheart. Thank you for commenting. :)