Death and Magic
Today was a lazy lazy day. Joe and took turns napping and when we all finally dressed it was after three in the afternoon. Maizie has been very excited about the movie Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. I went to see this movie with no expectations having seen or read very little about it.
I could not have been more pleased. I loved this movie. The story line was simple, magical and just felt full of joyful playfulness and love. Maizie had the look of a little girl on Christmas morning.
Maizie explained that her favorite part of the movie was when the little boy Eric and the accountant Henry(Mutant) were writing notes back and forth to one another. I knew this was her favorite because when I looked over at her she seemed in awe and had a little grin on her face. I think she enjoyed it because words are so much, "her thing". I have a feeling if she could communicate through writing most of the time she would. She often spells out her answers to our questions and writes us little notes we find around the house. This is especially true when she is upset. She will retreat to her room, write a note and hide it for us to find.
This all reminded me of a post I read recently at Asperger Square 8 by Bev. I see Maizie having many similarities in communication.
In the movie Mr. Magorium owns the magical toy store. He decides it is his time to leave the world. Magorium talks about how he has truly "lived" every day and is looking forward to his next magical adventure. Maizie whispered to me, "Is he going to Heaven? What is going to happen?!" I was so chocked up, tears messing up my makeup that I said, "Ask your Dad." She did not notice me crying but later said she did cry a bit during the movie. Our conversation the other day caused the movie to hit me a bit harder than it would have if we had never discussed death and magic.
This movie also proves that it is still possible to make a rated G movie that everyone can enjoy. I typically get easily bored and antsy in childrens' movies but this one managed to hold my attention. I even put off using the ladies room so I would not miss a second of it.



7 comments:
Well I'll take that as a positive review then! Certainly more manageable than 'listening' to my boys guffaw through Mr. Bean.
Cheers
Cool. I'm glad to know someone who has seen it and enjoyed it. It looks sooo cute and I love Natalie Portman. She seems so classy that when she does a kids movie it is a kids movie. I'll probably have to wait for it to come out on video but I'm stoked to see it now. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for the review. Perhaps it will be our next drive in experience. We don't do the theater - too loud.
Good to know cause my kids are wanting to see it
Sounds great, Marla. So glad Maizie seemed happy to connect.
Crystal xx
I've been thinking of a movie to take Charlie to---this sounds like a good one!
Thanks everyone! Let me know if you see the movie! I want to know if you all enjoy it as much as we did.
Post a Comment