Maizie Counts Money!
I have some great news today. Maizie counted quarters at tutoring today. I know this seems like a little thing but truly it is huge. It felt like when she first decoded letters and began reading words after months of working at it. Progress!
Math has been a long, sometimes torturous process for Maizie to learn. At times her tutor and me were wondering if she would ever remember any of it, yet alone "get it". We are still using the Lindamood Bell On Cloud Nine program. Of course we tweak it a lot to Maizie's needs. We are constantly going over and over all of the steps that have led up to this point. If we don't she will forget it easily. The number line, visualizing, greater than and less than, that a number actually symbolises a number of objects and so on. For a while we did a lot of problems written as the words instead of numbers. Like this...four + five = nine. This mainly eased her worry over doing the problem wrong and made her visualize the numbers in a way that worked for her first.
Maizie had just as much anxiety learning to read as she does learning math. Now she can read at a fifth grade level, comprehension is improving but still a struggle. What is truly lovely though is that she loves to read. She reads more than I ever did as a child. I will stop everything to listen to her read. I often wonder if she will be able to do math like she reads. Jeannie seems to think we will only be able to go so far before she won't get it anymore. We both agree that we can't give up. She needs to at least have some skills for daily life. Finally, I feel more hope that this goal will be reached.It is the visualization that Maizie struggles with. Since starting homeschooling she has improved greatly with this. Once again, I credit this to lower stress, being able to catch up in learning how to play and using the Lindamood Bell Visualization methods. We do lots of work closing our eyes and picturing the numbers in our heads or the sentences from her reading books. Then with the reading she has to answer questions that help her visualize more specifically. I really do see it helping.
Anyway, with money she has always resisted learning it. I think because there was no foundation there for her to build upon. She could not even visualize numbers or what they meant yet alone begin with money. Now, she is slowly getting it. Today counting quarters was more of a memorization step. She almost has pennies, nickels and dimes down so adding in quarters was a huge step. She can't count past amounts of a dollar without confusion but we will get there. I know she does not understand yet that four quarters equals one hundred cents. We are teaching her how to lay out four quarters and count 25, 50, 75, 100 and then match that up with a dollar bill to show that it is the same. It is a long process that will be repeated over and over again.
She can now repeat the counting of quarters on her own which is a start. If I lay out a specific amount of change first she sorts it so it matches. She has a rough time determining the difference between quarters and nickels. Now we point out to separate the "eagles" and not rely on size. Finally, that seems to be working. Then, once all sorted she puts them in order from greatest to least and lastly she counts them. Her tutor Jeannie began slow with just pennies and nickels, then added dimes and today quarters.For me the most exciting part is that Maizie was doing the work without her voice quivering and turning all whiney like. A sign that her confidence is at an all time low with a task. I gave her a big high five after tutoring and her smile was huge! I am so proud of her. I am also proud of our tutor and need to do something so knows it!
I was telling Joe today that I feel closer than ever to Maizie and I think a lot of it has to do with home schooling. We don't have to compete with her being exhausted from school and stressed from trying hard to fit into an environment that pushed her senses to their limits.
It also helps that she has not had a seizure for a couple weeks. I won't get my hopes up but if life stays calm for a while maybe the seizures will stay away. This will be the first year we won't have to deal with public school holiday chaos. Maizie seemed to soak in that hyper energy and just could not handle it. Maybe this holiday season will be different.
I wanted to let everyone know about an insightful post at Beyond Understanding by Karen. She asked parents of autistic children to answer some questions and then compiled some of the answers. Please check it out.



16 comments:
Isn't it amazing how hsing affects your relationship? DS didn't go to school and I still see it. Congrats on counting money, that's great!
This is fabulous! Charlie is just learning the different names for each coin---we'll get to where Maizie is someday!
Our children do amazing things and surprise on a daily basis. Maizie is a bright little girl with a very bright future. Perhaps, you are right about the seizures staying away. Mine are brought on by stress. The calmer Maizie is, the better she will work and who knows, maybe one day the seizures will stop altogether.
Crystal xx
That is great! For years our guy struggled with basic math (lots of tears all around), but when he finally memorized the key computations, he got all the rest. Now he tests a year and a half above grade level and it is his favorite subject. Sometimes its just a matter of getting past the key concepts, as it seems that it was for Maizie with reading.
Keep on going, this could be a roll.
days when they "get" something...are so awesome
yea mazie!
thanks for visiting my blog. we're homeschoolers too...been at it for six plus years now...have five kids, am homeschooling three- all on the autism spectrum.
Holly-Very true! I am glad you see it too.
Kristina-Charlie will get it!
Crystal-So you notice a big difference we you are stressed too? I am sure it makes a difference. At least now I can control that stress a bit more.
Vab-That is great! When Maizie was in school she was doing three place addition and subtraction. But, she really did not understand it at all. She was just following a pattern as the aide pointed out what to do next. I am glad your guy is doing so well! That is great!
Amanda-Wow! You have your hands full! Do you like it? I am going to have to read more on your blog soon!
Personally I think confidence is the key to many of our children and confidence is often improved once so many of the stressers are removed or minimised. I can get a glimpse of how that homeschooling option is such a great choice for so many of our kids.
As for money, she's doing a darned sight better than I am. I'm alright with the greenbacks but the coins drive me batty, just so much shrapnel.
Cheers
That sounds fantastic - just the way she is approaching it now with more confidence is great (I remember trying and trying to figure out the paradox of Quarters - exactly what is metric about a Quarter?). You can let Maizie know that from many years of retail work that many adults have the same problem as Americans would come to visit victoria and we would say $2.85 and they would give us $2 and then just hold out their hand with a confused expression (Canada used quarters, dimes, nickles and pennies the EXACT same size and colour as ones in the US) - so, I think she has already passed about 7% of the tourists I would see.
Well done to Maizie!!! It's a wonderful feeling isn't it, when they achieve something that seems 'little' to a lot of people, but that is really huge to us and them.
Great news!!
Marla - In answer to your question, yes, the stress is a major factor of my seizures and if I'm destressed, I don't have any. They are usually at their worst when it's menstruation time! This might happen in the future for Maizie too. It is very common for seizures to increase during these few days each month.
Crystal xx
Beauty resists learning EVERYTHING and then out of the blue it is like a light switches on in her head and she does it!As yet there is very little interest in money unlike her sister at the same age who had counted every tooth in her head to see how much she would get from the tooth fairy when they eventually fell out.
Well done to you both.
Maddy-Confidence is the key. I agree totally. I am so glad to see it rising rathehr than declining.
Eliz- Good point with the quarters. I have been to Canada a few times but never did much shopping! Wish I would have. I am sure if we would have been near stores I would have been one of those tourists looking very confused!
Elisa-Thanks! I am still so happy about it. Today though we went to work on money and she refused. Argh!
Crystal-Our neurologist brought up that she may be "growing up" and that we may see an increase due to that. I about fell off the chair. I can't imagine dealing with that any time soon! What type of seizures do you have, if I can ask? Maizie's are abdominal.
Mother of Many-Beauty sounds a bit like Maizie in the refusal part! But the light is much slower to be lit for miss maizie. Beauty's sister must know the value of money! Maizie still does not really get that. A lot of kids don't!:)
Well I don't mind telling you Math today is nothing like Math when we were in school. Seriously right now at this moment in time I could very well flunk third grade math, so how can I expect my daughter to grasp it when i can't ugh. I notice your daughter has a blog, would she like to see my daughter's blog, its in my sidebar on my blog, a pink blinkie that says kaylie's blog :)
For the last couple of years I've only had absent seizures where I wander off for a few seconds. People think I'm ignorant!! The thing is because of what I do, wandering off is quite common. I often get asked, "what, did you see something?"
Glad your neuro brought the subject up because even though you don't want to deal with it yet, you need to start thinking about how you will deal with it when it happens. I'm dreading it with Amy.
Crystal xx
Well done Maizie! And well done Mommy and tutor!
Dakotablue-Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to visit your daughter's blog. Possibly they could link to one another's blogs! Math is tough for me too. That is why I need a tutor to help me teach Maizie! I am learning too through this process.
Crystal-Thank you for sharing about your seizures with me. We think Maizie probably has absence seizures too but we have never caught one during testing. Hers are where she stares off, gets nervous and turns all pale, throws up and then usually needs to sleep for about 30 minutes to an hour and is usually pretty out of it for a few days. I know we need to think about hormonal changes and how to handle them and do need to talk about that with her soon. I need to think about what to say and how to do that. You are so right.
Jerry- Thanks so much!
Post a Comment