Monday, November 5, 2007

Silly Slap Happy Clip, Christmas and Gifts

If you scan down a bit...on the right side bar there is a video from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Joe and I watch this show every week. We love it. This particular scene kept us laughing so hard my belly hurt. I don't know what it was about the continued slapping? I was tearing up. Possibly we are just hard up for fun but this show always delivers the laughs. Granted, it is not for those individuals who are easily offended.On another note...I have almost all of my Christmas shopping done! I know. I know. I am a bit crazy when it comes to early shopping. I start in the Spring and by November I have everyone except a certain few done.

Of course there is the last minute purchase for Maizie. She always comes up with some wish for Santa that she just can't stop writing on her Christmas list. This year it seems to be the Holiday Barbie. It may change though so I am not going to be running to buy it any time soon. I don't even know what the heck it is but I guess I will be in search of it.

Last year it was the Little Mermaid Barbie. We spent like thirty bucks on this dumb barbie that Maizie insisted could swim in the water. After many long and anguished conversations we broke down, removed the batteries and allowed her to take it in the tub. Ariel has never sang since. Maizie cried for what seemed like hours once she realized we were right and the barbie really would break if it went in the water. Maizie will repeat this lesson to us and Christian using her real serious, teacherly tone. It goes like this, "Christian...you can't put some toys in the tub! If the toy has batteries it will never work again." Christian's reply is, "Whatever."

Once Christmas passed and Maizie's wish for the Singing Ariel Barbie had been satisfied I got a call from my friend Susie. Guess what?! She found this great Singing Ariel Barbie on sale at Sears for just five bucks! (or something close to that) You mean to tell me I spent almost thirty bucks on an annoying Ariel barbie that was broken within a day and she bought the same one for five bucks?! Well.....duh. That is just the way the holiday works.

I remember my Dad going out on Christmas Eve to search for a stuffed kangaroo for my little sister Melissa's gift. Out of the blue she began repeating, "kanga". She sang about it and talked endlessly about her longing for her kanga. I think my dad was gone for hours looking for the darn thing. To this day however we all talk fondly of this gift that my dad searched for at the last minute.

I am sure everyone can think of similar stories. I don't think it is so much the gift as it is knowing that the person you love is searching for this special thing....just for you. What gift have you searched high and low for to give to a special person in your life? Is there a gift you remember appreciating more than any other?

I have so many I would not know where to begin. My Dad made me an ant farm once. We worked on it together and for me that is an awesome memory. Of course the poor ants were not so thrilled. I released them all in the middle of the winter. I don't even remember why.

My Mom searched for days for my favorite children's book I just happened to mention, called The Family Minus. I tell ya, I cried like a baby when I opened that gift. It was not so much the book as it was the memory of her reading me that particular book. Of course it was touching that she was listening to me blabbing on and on about some children's book one day and then surprised me with it for Christmas! Every now and then I take out that book and read it. I love it. I like to think it is the very same book I had as a child.

Please tell me your favorite gift story!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My best / worst search was when they were between 'obsessions'. Thomas had 'died' and there was a vacuum. I would have bought Toys R Us if I thought I could find whatever it was that was coming next. It was not 'fun' it was pure unadulterated panic.
Best wishes

Anonymous said...

I've just cancelled a complete layby for my kids - they totally changed their minds about the things on their wish lists!!!
Problem is in our house we also have both birthdays within 3 to 4 weeks before Christmas so we have to come up with double the ideas - too hard to even think about at times!

mumkeepingsane said...

Last year I told the boys they HAD to have thier lists finalized by Nov. cause Santa needed time to get everything together. So we've just finalized the list this year. I still have fun with last minute shopping, but it has helped cut down on that last minute search for something they ASKED for and are, well not expecting but really hoping for.

Marla said...

Maddy-No Thomas! Yeah, that is always quite the toy obsession. My nephew is all about Thomas. I can imagine the panic!

Elissa-Oh how I know the birthday issue. Maizie's birthday Dec. 23rd! It does make the holidays an over load of excitement. We have tried all kinds of ways to get around it. Nothing really works.

Mum-Having the lists finalized by November is a great idea!

Melissa Jo said...

unfortunately i start shopping early, as well. but it turns out it usually doesn't save me much money. I always find stuff i want to buy later so i end up spending like double what I would if i just did it all in december! ;) owell. i love love love christmas shopping. it is my favorite thing. maybe that's why i start as soon as christmas is over!
i remember my kanga! alex now fondly loves my kanga! we actually just played with him for a long time last night and then he was allowed to sleep with her in her bed. i say this because NOTHING is usually allowed to sleep in her bed except her blankies (per her rules). too funny. talk about a gift that keeps on giving! i think my red ten speed was one of my most favorite gifts ever! there are so many, really, i can't even name them all.

Anonymous said...

The best gifts are the one's you least expect..agree? Well, I was turning 18, and I had mentioned ever so briefly, that I wanted the Madonna "Sex" book that was coming out. Needless to say, I was quite surprised, and a tad embarassed, as I opened it up during Thanksgiving with my grandparents...thanks John!

Holly said...

Oh, Christmas has always been rough here. Jamie always wants something that his friends have (not this year thank goodness). Two years ago, it was a baseball hat with Winnie the Pooh. We couldn't find the exact one, but same color, same characters. He hated it. Last year, he wanted the same bike his friend had. So, we got the same bike, one size larger (he's taller). He looks right at it and says, "This isn't the same bike; it's bigger." He's hardly ridden it. This year, he's picked out something all his own, and it's been purchased. Wish me luck :-).

kristina said...

Charlie does not seem to want any toys --- he likes the things he has, most of which he has an emotional affiliation with, and which often belong to other people (my husband's jackets, a certain shirt of mine, a bucket of photos). We buy him things and end up teaching him to play with them!

Marla said...

Mel-I can't believe you still have kanga. Maizie can't get enough stuffed animals or markers or books in bed with her. Alex is such a cutie! I can't wait to see what you got me for Christmas! Ha!

Mindy-Gadz! I can't believe John did that. Okay, maybe I can. No...wait...I can't believe that. It was so long ago and you were too young to be reading that book! Too funny! Do you still have it?

Holly- That is so funny. I can imagine Maizie doing that too. Seeing something as not the same because of slight size difference. I bet you wanted to scream! Good luck this year!

Kristina-All that teaching you do with how to play with toys will pay off. The things Charlie does like playing with are so sweet and special. I like the photos in the bucket. I bet those photos are well loved!

Anonymous said...

You bet I still have it! I knew back then it would be a collector's item! It's numbered low, and it's one of my treasures. I thought you'd looked at it before??? You must!! It's a hoot.

Marla said...

Mindy-Yeah...I remember seeing it. It is a wild book. I will have to see it again some day as an adult and see what I think of it.