Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Play Doh, Respect and Chuck E. Cheese

I got a text this morning from my friend Mindy who has been job searching for a long time. She found a job! I am truly happy for her and at the same time I wanted to cry. I had so enjoyed hanging out with her a day a week or so. Maralyn and Maizie were playing great together. Some days it can get kinda lonely being an at home mom. I know that I have other friends to hang with but Mindy has always worked full time. So being able to spend this much time together was great. Oh, well. We just have to go back to lunches, evenings or weekends. Obviously my moping is not what is important. The most important thing is Mindy found a job! I am really happy for her. I will miss her and the kids though.

After lunch Maizie and I went over to Janeen's house. Maizie and Savonna played with playdoh. Savonna likes to eat playdoh. Every time Janeen would walk out of the room she would grab a little tiny glob of green play doh, lick it and pop it in her mouth. It was quite entertaining to watch. I tried to discourage her playdoh eating fun but she really did not seem to take my advice. The lure of the doh was too intense!

Once back home Maizie went back to playing her out of tune lap harp. I was in the kitchen when Maizie spells out my name.

Maizie:M. O. M.!!!!!!

Marla:(laughing) What?

Maizie:I DON'T think you will laugh when I tell you this.

Marla: (Silence...wondering what went wrong....immediately picturing my lap top wet again.)

Maizie: I didn't treat the harp respectfully.

I just love love love the way she spoke about not treating it respectfully. Too cute!

One of the strings had snapped. Maizie was so afraid of getting in trouble. Joe was able to fix it easily. Tonight when I went to take it to Brian's to be tuned she said, "I sure hope he does not lose it!"

Can you tell she loves the harp? Tonight when we got it back she went to bed with it. It sounds fantastic! Thank goodness for musically inclined friends.
Before dinner we needed some fun. The ongoing rain, cold and wind led us to want some play time. We went somewhere we never ever take Maizie. Maizie seemed up for the challenge. Chuck E. Cheese!

Luckily on a week night it was not too crowded. Maizie's eyes glazed over when we first arrived. Sitting down and drinking some sodas while she soaked in the atmosphere helped a bit. Once she got used to the noise and lights it was play time.

Every picture I took Maizie has the look of total concentration. Check out her blog for more photos from tonight. I had fun playing some of the games. The bouncy riding ones made both Joe I feel a little nauseous. Lordy, we must be getting older!

Okay, I could write more but I really need to focus on Nip/Tuck.

9 comments:

kristina said...

Charlie's never been to Chuck E Cheese (except for a time we ran into one on Staten Island for the bathroom......)---sounds like she did great! I am very curious about how Maizie does with the lap harp---something to look into for Charlie.

Anonymous said...

I read a very interesting post about musical ability [somewhere] this is a lovely trend.

Glad you had fun too.

Best wishes

Anonymous said...

What great photos! Maizie's face is really the picture of concentration.

Anonymous said...

You lot certainly have fun. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Crystal xx

Marla said...

Kristina-The lap harp is certainly worth the $15 we paid for it. She loves it and it is pretty easy for her to follow the notes on the music cards that came with it.

Maddy-Let me know if you come across that post.

Elissa- I love the look of concentration! I used to pray for her to be able to concentrate for even a few minutes so I am thrilled with how well she can focus now. Most of the time, anyway.

Crystal-Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way! Bittersweet tears. You know how badly this chick needs a paycheck! I love ya! Remember, absence makes the heart grow fonder! We can always meet at Azar's on Bluffton Rd for lunch! Yummmm...

Melissa Jo said...

love those pics of maizie! too cute! chuckie cheese is so fun! hope to take alex there for her birthday!

Holly said...

I have had Jamie's 2 best friends (and mine) move, one after the other. We had the same thing, a weekly play date. It's so hard. At least she's not moving. Hugs.

Marla said...

Mindy-Azars! Lovely! I'll take what I can get!

Mel-Remember that time at Chuckies when you were about three and you had that accident and I ran away embarrased. Too funny!

Holly- You are so right! We moved away to NJ for a year so I am very glad to be back with friends.